Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike crash at IMFL
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the details of what happened to the athlete that was taken off the course by ambulance around mile 20?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know...saw a report in the local newspaper about another accident not related to the race...

The guy who was in the accident in the race seemed coherent when I passed by....saw several cars on the other side of the road that were not emergency vehicles, so unknown as to whether he was hit or just somehow crashed on his own. Hope all is well with him!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard of 3 bike vs. car or bike vs. person or bike vs. bike. Are these true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went by a few minutes before the ambulance showed up. The athlete didn't look good when I passed by though. He was just sprawled out in the middle of the road not moving. I said a quick prayer and kept on riding. I sure hope the guy is ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no official status of that guy, but I think he was fine and his injuries were more emotional. When I rode by, he was crying and yelling at the motorcycle marshal that his ironman dreams were finished. he was still in the middle of the road and refused to get up. he was able to sit up and speak, but almost acted child like and would not get up. I think he was fine physically.

There were a couple other incidents. One involving a motorcycle and two bikes and one involving a car/truck versus bike. Those were more serious. I have no status on those.

I actually think the police coverage of the roads was excellent. There was a lot of close riding which is not good when people are in their aero bars. Had several pace lines pass me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pace lines, pelotons, any configuration of riders you can assemble en masse were passing me. I was beginning to wonder if they even bothered citing people for drafting.

There was a child/cyclist collision right at the end of the bike course, some kid wandered into the chute & took out a biker. My wife saw it, said both appeared to be OK.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they were letting the packs of people go and not busting them for drafting because it was too difficult for the marshals to single one of the people in the pack out. In races where they just take down numbers they come up behind the pack and just write down the nmber of everyone in it. When they have to get the cyclist pulled over it becomes a lot tougher I guess.

I got busted because when a pack of about 20 people riding about a foot apart each went by I didn't drop back fast enough. This was right on Front Beach road at the start of the race. I watched the pack go by and then the ref and the driver had some sort of discussion and a confused look on their face. I was sure they were going to bust at least someone in the pack. After a few seconds they turned around and looked at me, alone by that point, and flagged me over.

I was pissed until I came on the guy who was down, then it didn't seem so bad.
Last edited by: hugh: Nov 7, 05 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [jee83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went by a few minutes before the ambulance showed up. The athlete didn't look good when I passed by though. He was just sprawled out in the middle of the road not moving. I said a quick prayer and kept on riding. I sure hope the guy is ok.

------------------------

Not quite sure what to make of this statement. I sure hope there were other people attending to him and you didn't just ride by someone who's life may have been in danger without stopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I didn't think the drafting was too bad. Granted it was crazy at times with so many people passing each other. I thought the turn around point around mile 75 was the most crowded. I backed off a bit just to get out of the big pack that was developing at that point. I also thought that the cops did a great job with traffic. Traffic was not bad at all. On 231 the bikes were blowing by all of the cars. It was fun passing the cars and having the little kids in the cars pointing at you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed him in this same position. There was a paramedic standing over him, situation seemed relatively minor, all things considered.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Not quite sure what to make of this statement. I sure hope there were other people attending to him and you didn't just ride by someone who's life may have been in danger without stopping.[/reply]

oh no, not THIS thread again
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [bigdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race crew was already there taking care of him. I didnt just ride by and leave him. Officials were already there helping out. Jeez.....
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [jee83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i heard from his coach 3 broken ribs was the extent of the crash...oh and I DNF.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I can comment on this better than anyone as to what happened as it happened 10 feet in front of me.

Around mile 20 I'm riding along and some guy passes(rider 1) me on the left and comes w/in 1 inch of clipping my front wheel w/ his back wheel. There was no need to come so close as no one was in front of me and he had plenty of room. About 3-4 seconds after he did this another guy(rider 2) comes up besides me and comments how close rider 1 came to hitting me. I agreed but tried not to let it distract me. Rider 2 then yelled (politely) at rider 1 to be careful passing people. During this time rider 1 had managed to go about 15 feet ahead and attempted to pass a female rider(rider 3) the same way he did me.

This time he wasn't so lucky and he clipped her front wheel. They both went down and then rider 2-who was to the left of me and about 3 feet ahead and right behind both of them flips over both of them, does a 360 somersault and lands on the road. I have to make a sharp and quick right hand turn to avoid them and end up doing a Lance and riding thru the grass/sand/dirt for about 20 feet before falling due to the poor traction.

I hope all are ok as it looked like rider 2 really took a tough fall. In my mind rider 1 clearly caused this accident by reckless and aggressive riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [John Pemberton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

I was rider two. I've got a mild concussion, road rash, and my back feels like someone took a 2x4 to it. Nothing broken and should recover in a few more days. I don't remember anything from the time my front wheel hit them until someone was standing over me. The helmet did it's job. I didn't realize how hard my head hit until I saw the inside of the helmet. I know the rider who caused the accident didn't finish the bike as I remember his number but I never got the females riders number. Hopefully they are both OK. Still trying to figure out why he was riding so aggressive and stupid.

Just for note after the ambulance loaded me up was the last time the Ironman Association had anything to do with me. I was luckily enough to get some of my friends to come and get me from the hospital and then take care of me. If it wasn't for them I would probably be there until they realize there chip was missing. I'm in the process of getting this hole in there Association taken care of.
Last edited by: Travis Self: Nov 9, 05 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [Travis Self] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I love ST! In a race with over 2,000 athletes, we can get to the bottom of every story by posting on here. You know someone who was involved, or saw the incident is either a poster or lurker and will help us to get to the bottom of the story. Glad to hear you're okay Travis, and thanks for the story. Sounds like some racers have alot to learn about race etiquette. Rider #1 was obviously an idiot. Maybe he'll post on here, or is lurking!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, good to hear you are okay. When I passed by it seemed as though you were okay, but at that point still relatively motionless flat on your back.

I thought it interesting that no mention was made of the incident/accident at the awards dinner...at least an update for those of us that saw you on the road saying that you were okay, just so we could rest a little easier. But not word one.

Always ugly to see something like that happen in any race, let alone an Ironman where a good chunk of the last year has been spent training for it. Again, very glad to hear you are (for the most part, anyway) okay and certainly among the living and able to race another day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I crashed at vineman, if my wife had not been there, I would have been in the same boat. No one from vineman ever got involved after they found my wife. I even wrote them and asked what may have happened, no response. I wrote and asked what I should do with my chip which I still have, no response. So, no idea why some of these races that this approach. Must be for liability reasons I hope, rather than them not caring.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was rider two. I've got a mild concussion, road rash, and my back feels like someone took a 2x4 to it."

I was a rider #2 once. Sustained a shattered kneecap and was out for a year. It was an awful year of surgery, rehab, more surgery, more rehab.

Why is it that the rider #1s of the world always walk away from these episodes and it's the poor, unsuspecting rider #2 folks who biff big-time and end up suffering all the consequences. As was apparently the case in your situation, my rider #1 just rode off and left me writhing on the pavement for other people to deal with.

Sounds like you're recovering well. That's great. You should steer clear of cycling-related newgroups and forums where they like to debate the merits of bike helmets. It's amazing the number of idiots out there who don't think helmets have any value. They're merely folks who haven't had incidents like ours ... yet.

Be well!

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's amazing the number of idiots out there who don't think helmets have any value.

Not to hijack here, but I'm a member of another cycling group that has a few anti-helmet zealots. Helmets, apparently, prevent you from hearing vehicles coming up from behind you, and cause you to wreck. Also, they apparently encourage you to bike in a more reckless manner.

The data they always present: Look at how many cyclists die each year who are wearing a helmet. Look at how few cyclists die in the Netherlands, and they never wear helmets.

Riiiiight.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helmets, apparently, prevent you from hearing vehicles coming up from behind you, and cause you to wreck.

What, are they wearing motorcycle helmets? LOL....
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and in the Netherlands - bikes outnumber cars - and those cars that are there - respect the cyclists rights!

little different in certain other parts of the world - poor comparison
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There were a couple other incidents. One involving a motorcycle and two bikes"

anybody have any info on this one?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't start, seriously. These people will not be persuaded. You will not win an argument against the anti-helmet zealot. Helmets are dangerous. War is peace. Ignorence is strength.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike crash at IMFL [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, this surprises me, they actually took the time to mail me my bike gloves a few years back when I left them behind!
Quote Reply

Prev Next