Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike case options and airline travel fees
Quote | Reply
I am trying to decide between a soft and hard case. I am intrigued by the helium:
http://www.biknd.com which i saw from another post here.

I'm wondering if many people with soft cases actually get away with NOT paying the travel fee if they are definitely under 50 lbs and the dimensions are smaller? My airline of choice is Southwest - they seem to be pretty cool about most things - does anyone have any feedback for them?

I am even considering taking the case to a good local tailor to "re-badge" it with something that sounds/looks a lot less bicycle-ish. I figure if I can get away with not being charge a few times I can easily justify buying a pair of cheap wheels for traveling...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [ramasan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruster sports "hen house"
a winner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm wondering if many people with soft cases actually get away with NOT paying the travel fee if they are definitely under 50 lbs and the dimensions are smaller?
---------------------
only sometimes. and mine's never over 50 lbs. the dimensions are a bit over/into "oversize", hence the charge sometimes. there's no pattern to when it's charged, other than more regularly in the last year and 1/2.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Aerus Biospeed soft case and have taken one trip with it from LAX to Sydney, Australia and then also two internal flights within Australia and didn't pay a penny. So far, so good.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pika Packworks softcase (looks similar to the aerus biospeed case Tribodyboarder uses). Used it for international as well as domestic travel. haven't paid a penny for oversize or oweweight. Granted, when the gate agent asks if that's a bike you have to be willing/able to bend the truth, my favorite is devpaul's 'it's multisport equipment' (long as you have some swimming goggles or running shoes in there that's true). But since the gate agents are not authorized (to my knowledge) to open and inspect the luggage), there's not much risk to it.
Bottomline is that the softcase had paid for itself before the first trip (to Australia) was over, in terms of saved airlines charges. No damage to the bike or other contents either.

- Stephan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 trips (10 check ins) with my soft aerus bike case. Paid once out of ten times. It was leaving kona three weeks ago where I was the 35th person to check in with a bike in less than 2 hours.

Each trip I've loaded up the bag to 45-47 lbs with my shoes, race nutrition, shampoo and stuff I can't carry on, and had a carry on for the rest of my luggage.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [spdpnk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soft case users... have any of you noticed any particular airline being better or worse as far as being able to get through without paying the fee?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have flown American (domestically) and Quantas (internationally), no issues. Whereas when I traveled with a hard case (on American) they hit me with their charges (only oversize, though, as I had all sport-related stickers removed and claimed it was trade show displays).
Generally speaking, while soft cases are not as protective, it seems that baggage handlers are much rougher with them. When arriving overseas, several other athletes hard cases were busted, while my softcase looked brand spankin' new. YMMV, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [spdpnk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of the soft cases fit in Southwests checked bag dimensions?

From their website.

Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective June 17, 2009, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50 per item.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [dalessit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this is the only bicycle travel case that fits a standard bicycle to meet the airline requirement of 62 linear inches. It is a two bag system with one bag containing the frame and the other bag containing the wheels. I just posted a video on facebook showing how to pack the case. Plenty of room in the two bags to keep most everything you need for the race. I have never paid excess luggage fees and have never had my bike damaged using this case.

Ruster Sports Hen House

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just spent 3 weeks traveling to South Africa with the Helium Biknd (4 flights, 2 with 2 connections).

I'll post a longer review when I have time. But until then I can say:

* Every baggage person I ran into immediately identified that the helium contained a bike. It was just too big and had that 'wheel' shape which gave it away

* Though it is a well built bag it does have some shortcomings. For example: not-enough padding around key "corners" (e.g. the rear wheel dropouts, connection between seat stays and seat tube).

I originally thought the Helium would be the holy grail combining the best of hard and soft cases. It is very well designed but it definitely has compromises.

Best,
M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the Hen House case does say "Ruster Sports" on the side. I am very rarely even asked what is in the bag. Since the bag only contains a bike frame they assume it is much much too small to fit a bicycle. On the rare occasion when I am asked what is in the bag, "it is an ergometer" not a lie, just the truth, when asked what an ergometer is: "a device that measures torque" enough said. When asked if the contents are fragile I always respond "no". The truth is, if you pack this case properly you will not have a problem using this soft case. It will be handled like regular luggage and will come out on the luggage carousel like the rest of the bags. I have been traveling with this case for over 2 years and have never had a problem, I've never paid excess luggage fees, and I have never had any damage to my bike.

Ruster Sports Hen House, Bikes Fly Free!
www.rustersports.com

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [NiceTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like the Hen House is the only viable option if trying to escape the domestic (US) airline fee is an option.

After a call to Southwest, they stated that the LxWxH cannot exceed 62 inches, which according to the Ruster site, is the exact design parameter.

So technically I think you can tell them its a bike and they can't do anything about it.

After the Helium feedback, I think my best option is a Hen House at this point. At $100 a round trip (at least), I think the thing pays for itself quite quickly, or if nothing else, makes bringing your bike less of an expensive decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Biospeed Aerus. I have never had to pay any extra fees, just don't make it obvious and have a good lie about what's in it. It's a dream to pack and unpack and remarkably secure and easy to carry. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought an Aerus Biospeed soft case, traveled to and from Maui and got dinged both ways ($50 / Alaska), they counter agent immediately identified a bike (granted, my soft case may look a bit big as I am most of the time traveling with a mountain bike)...
A friend of mine who is a check in agent told me my soft case is "oversized"

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Bike case options and airline travel fees [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice Ruster travel pack btw, thats a good heads up . . . i went to the site though, does anyone use that hydration system? Talk about a fairing! You better be able to fly if you show up with that on ur bike lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe this is the only bicycle travel case that fits a standard bicycle to meet the airline requirement of 62 linear inches.

I don't know why the airlines put this line in when it refers to bikes. Does no one on the airlines side actually pay attention to this or consult with travelling cyclists and bike companies. ?t's moot, because, no standard bike in any of the regular cases/bags meets the 62 linear in. measurement!

I use an Aerus Biospeed bag. I have never had to pay a full bike fee when traveling with it. Mind you I am VERY careful of who I travel with in the first place and when I have been charged, it's only the over-size fee which is typically quite a bit less than the BIKE fee. The nice thing with the Aerus bag is that it "looks" smaller than it really is, particularly if you show up at check in with it slung over your shoulder. Mine with my bike in it, weighs only about 28 lbs.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ, Doesn't your case need to have the front fork removed? With all the integrated stems/forks, that's not easy with most bikes nowadays.
Quote Reply