Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Trainers
Quote | Reply
I am new to Triathlons and was wondering what would be a good bike trainer for a beginner (Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic). I live in Michigan so it gets rather cold here. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [birnstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have thousands of miles on my cycle ops direct drive trainer with a 105 cassette and could not be happier. Worth paying a little more IMO!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...recommendations.html

Though some posters will caution you on the Kickr -- that's what I have and I enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommend a used magnetic cycleops to most people who start out. Would set you back under 50 if you're lucky/patient. Tops out at ~350watts with 53x10 at a comfortable cadence (~80).

Predictable power curve if you choose to utilize virtual power; or you can grab a powermeter with money saved.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For example something like Cycleops Magneto?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Direct drive trainers are soooo nice. Do yourself a favor and try to ride on a few different types to find what works for you. Most decent bike shops that sell them have at least one set u. Call around see who has what, and go take your bike for some spins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you're looking now, but in the spring a lot of bike shops will have the trainers they used for the indoor training season for sale. My KK Road Machine was acquired that way at about half the retail price.

I'm going to guess that in MI a lot of LBS have indoor training sessions, since riding outside is pretty much impossible no matter how tough you are. Around here you could get away with riding outside most of the winter and we still have 4 local shops that have dedicated rooms for indoor training. TV screens, Trainer Road, even smart trainers in a couple of them. About $10 to $15 an hour, so no horribly expensive.

That would allow you to ride a few machines and see what you like, and get some training in while doing it. That is what I did and it led me to buy a dumb trainer and a power meter.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience has been with the standard mag, which had been more than sufficient for my first couple years with a trainer. Not quite sure about the functional difference between the two models
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Minoura B60 - I had a higher budget but it got a lot of great reviews, it was very cheap and I love it. alot of people over here use it. Im on the other side of the world then you though, and would refer to the post above re: the dcrainmaker reviews.

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Nov 25, 15 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for starting off with a used magnetic style trainer - maybe a fluid style depending on your budget. Some people just don't get on with riding their bike on a trainer so best to check out if you will stick with it or not. You can always sell your used trainer on to someone else for basically the same as you will pay for it once you decide you want to upgrade or find yourself needing greater resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
+1 for starting off with a used magnetic style trainer - maybe a fluid style depending on your budget. Some people just don't get on with riding their bike on a trainer so best to check out if you will stick with it or not. You can always sell your used trainer on to someone else for basically the same as you will pay for it once you decide you want to upgrade or find yourself needing greater resistance.

And if you don't see a used one you can get the "Travel Trac Comp Fluid Trainer" for $99 from Performance Bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Thank you everyone for your help. I will be sure to look at the mag trainers as those seem to be ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also hit up Craigslist, you may be able to get a nice and likely unused trainer on the cheap. A lot of people will get trainers, use them twice, then realize they don't have the time/space/patience for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [Dingis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you guys recommend for a quiet, low vibration indoor trainer?

I live in a wooden frame apartment building so the neighbors go cuckoo when I'm on my trainer as it vibrates through the floor boards. I have a fluid trainer I got a few years ago at an cycle store and I've tried setting up on the balcony, on rugs, on thick sleeping mats, even my bathroom mat, but still it makes noise through the floor. The only place I can get away with it is setting up in a doorway, I'm assuming the vibrations are being dissipated by the building frame rather than through the floorboards. So any experience with a trainer that would suit?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any recommendations for a trainer pad? Seen ranging from $30-$80. I mean where can I just find a cheap rubber mat? Or do these have any advantages?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used weight training mats from Dicks Sporting Goods combined with a trainer mat for my Kurt Kinetic trainer. That seemed to solve the vibration issue. If you want quieter, get a Wahoo Kickr. I love my Kickr and my girlfriend say's it's quieter than the Kurt Kinetic

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There're many cheaper alternatives: tarps, yoga mats, saran wrapped cardboard.

Personally use a beach towel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got a really cheap one off amazon like $50 it works fine had it for like 2 years almost and put a towel under it. don't spend a lot on a trainer a kurt is like 300... 50 for a mat.. that's a stages power meter almost
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 11, 15 21:48
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Trainers [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lowe's has a 4' x 8' garage mat for $58 that I really like:

http://www.lowes.com/...mp;productId=3645154

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Last edited by: Travis R: Dec 12, 15 9:03