Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Shoes Go Full Knit
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://cyclingtips.com/...pire-republic-shoes/

So ..... what do you think? .... will all those small holes act as dimples and provide better laminar flow?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Go Full Knit [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd think if they were faster in the wind tunnel Giro marketing would be hammering that point. It's possible they haven't been tested yet, but who knows.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely less aero than the smooth empires. Gotta feel a lot cooler though.

Good for climbing, horrible for TTs. There's a reason shoe covers are smooth.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Go Full Knit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could be better for wet feet on a hot day though. Possibly. If I was choosing between these and TriVents, these would have my attention.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Go Full Knit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Definitely less aero than the smooth empires. Gotta feel a lot cooler though.

Good for climbing, horrible for TTs. There's a reason shoe covers are smooth.

They would have to be tested, but the fastest speedsuits seem to have some texture to them, so shoe covers being smooth could just be because nobody has tested unsmooth shoe covers.

My mind says you are right, but the tunnel is often not following what we think will happen. Would be an interesting test for sure.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking to get a pair of empire vr90's for cyclocross and was excited when I saw these...until I saw the mountain bike version

http://www.giro.com/...pire-vr70-knit.html/

Seriously, what's up with that "sock". The good news is that hopefully there will be a price drop on the original vr90's.

I guess we also know why there was a huge sale on Empire SLX's and ACC's a few months ago. The majority of riders buy those shoes for style and the new versions definitely look a lot better. We didn't see the same sales on VR90's because the new ones look terrible and nylon/mesh/knit doesn't make a lot of sense when it gets muddy.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Shoes Go Full Knit [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we also know why there was a huge sale on Empire SLX's and ACC's a few months ago. The majority of riders buy those shoes for style and the new versions definitely look a lot better.

I think retailers over-bought the various Empire shoes, thinking that the whole laces thing would really take off. Up side - great deals via various channels on Empire shoes!

Personally, I can't say enough about the comfort and performance of the Empire road shoes - I had a pair of the original ACC's and now I have a pair of the SLX - love them. Light. Comfortable. Stiff!

Shoe fit is VERY personal I get that.

I think a lot of customers, have a look at the Empiresand then see other shoes with all the fancy ratchets, and buckles, and other stuff and they think these latter shoes are, "better" because of all the bells and whistles how could the Empires with laces for pete's-sake be better? The Empires, like the Bont shoes require a bit of a leap of faith on the part of the customer. I most typically see Empires and Bonts being worn by VERY experienced and savvy road riders and racers - who know what they are looking for in cycling shoe fit/performance.

As for the knit uppers - kudos to Giro for pushing the envelope AGAIN with shoes - they really are innovators with cycling shoes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 29, 17 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given dimples are supposed to disrupt laminar flow, among other reasons....no
Quote Reply