Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.02: I think custom and semi-custom frames will be far more disruptive to the bike industry than disc brakes. There are a lot of interesting concept floating around out there such as Bastion Cycles carbon/titanium concept below. There's nothing stopping them from making an aero bike using this approach. If they were to make such a bike in large volumes they could have a mandrel made to filament wind the tubes and then simply cut them to length (I'm sure there's a way you could work around the seat tube cutout). Could you imagine going in for a Retul-like fit and then having a bike with geometry that's specifically optimized for you show up a week later in whatever color and with whatever components you want? LBSs wouldn't have to carry inventory other than example frames and replacements for wear/tear items.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
no need to sell your rim bike bike if your happy with it, but if you are buying new you would be dumb not to go disc at this point

Depends on the application...still.

If I was buying a TT/Tri or road racing bike, and my concern was the fastest setup possible? No way I'd buy a (separate braking) disc equipped bike.

However, if it was something I might want to throw some 30mm+ tires on and do some off-pavement exploring on? Disc might be the best solution...

Besides, if you're commenting on my "lack of choice" statement above, the point isn't about not being able to choose to keep what I have...the point is having a smaller (or no) selection to choose from if I'm looking for something new. There's a difference.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not really a 'tipping point'. More of a 'we're holding your head underwater until you comply' point.

87% of OEM sales.
Onlly 13% of afternarket.

All that shows is that retailers/shops are not putting rim-brake bikes on the sales floor.
The consumer doesn't really have a choice, so duh, obviously disc sales will dominate.
We already knew this.

IMO, the more telling stat is that folks who already own functional bikes don't really want this sh*t.
(13% are curious, lemmings, or are building-up a gravel bike.)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck..I know someone who had a custom aero road bike made out of steel...using "off the shelf" tubing, no less.

Ended up arguably faster than a 1st gen Venge and nearly as fast as a Venge Vias ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
This is not really a 'tipping point'. More of a 'we're holding your head underwater until you comply' point.

87% of OEM sales.

All that shows is that retailers/shops are not putting rim-brake bikes on the sales floor.
The consumer doesn't really have a choice, so duh, obviously disc sales will dominate.
We already knew this.

IMO, the more telling stat is that folks who already own functional bikes don't really want this sh*t.

...and they all can't figure out why sales have been so bad over the past few years :-/

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:

87% of OEM sales.

We already knew this.

Actually...to be fair, I'm sure a big part of the low aftermarket %-age is because the stuff isn't backwards compatible to the vast majority of existing bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I do like the lack of fiddling with brakes though. Not going to lie.

Oh, there will be fiddling. Trust me, there will be fiddling. So long as you want brakes that don't pulse or squeak you'll have to constantly true your rotors. I'm far from some lone voice in the desert on this issue.

I’ve NEVER had to true a rotor on a mountain bike or my cross bike....ever. Not saying they can’t get bent, but I think that’s pretty remote. Now I do agree there will or can be some fiddling. My cross bike brakes do get to tinging at times.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
The actual placement of the rotor on the hub should be consistent between wheels, however, slight lateral deviations may require you to reposition / realign the calipers.
They make shims for this.

It's a lot like cassette position variations between wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
spookini wrote:

87% of OEM sales.

We already knew this.

Actually...to be fair, I'm sure a big part of the low aftermarket %-age is because the stuff isn't backwards compatible to the vast majority of existing bikes.

Also, like 98% of existing bikes are no disc bikes, so of course the aftermarket will not reflect the same % as the new market.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I do like the lack of fiddling with brakes though. Not going to lie.

Oh, there will be fiddling. Trust me, there will be fiddling. So long as you want brakes that don't pulse or squeak you'll have to constantly true your rotors. I'm far from some lone voice in the desert on this issue.

I’ve NEVER had to true a rotor on a mountain bike or my cross bike....ever. Not saying they can’t get bent, but I think that’s pretty remote. Now I do agree there will or can be some fiddling. My cross bike brakes do get to tinging at times.

I have...so, we cancel each other out ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
spookini wrote:

87% of OEM sales.

We already knew this.

Also, like 98% of existing bikes are no disc bikes, so of course the aftermarket will not reflect the same % as the new market.

Isn't that what I said?

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
I’ve NEVER had to true a rotor on a mountain bike or my cross bike....ever. Not saying they can’t get bent, but I think that’s pretty remote.
I've had to do it once or twice on my mountain bike, in about 2000 miles. It's always stick getting jammed in there somewhere. On the road, it should be a non issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
spookini wrote:

87% of OEM sales.

We already knew this.

Isn't that what I said?

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
elf6c wrote:
no need to sell your rim bike bike if your happy with it, but if you are buying new you would be dumb not to go disc at this point

Depends on the application...still.

If I was buying a TT/Tri or road racing bike, and my concern was the fastest setup possible? No way I'd buy a (separate braking) disc equipped bike.

However, if it was something I might want to throw some 30mm+ tires on and do some off-pavement exploring on? Disc might be the best solution...

Besides, if you're commenting on my "lack of choice" statement above, the point isn't about not being able to choose to keep what I have...the point is having a smaller (or no) selection to choose from if I'm looking for something new. There's a difference.

I've done some pretty gnarly gravel on my aero road bike with 23C Conti 4000S tires but it beat the hell out of me.
I have been looking at a new aero road with hydraulic disc purely so I have an "all road" bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a tipping point -- in the same way the Coke "Zero Sugar" has absolutely dominated Coke Zero recently.

Hell, I can't even find Coke Zero on the shelves anymore.... The consumer has spoken!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
spookini wrote:

87% of OEM sales.

We already knew this.

Isn't that what I said?

No

Hmmm...OK :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/road-disc-brakes-the-tipping-point-51685/

Shimano: "We have not been able to meet demand for Dura-Ace and Ultegra hydraulics. There is a good chance we will see disc eclipse rim brake in total sales in 2018.”

SRAM: "For model year 2018 product, discs represented 67 percent of all sales, Zellmann says, compared to 44 percent for model year 2017. (Model years are often a year ahead of the actual calendar. For example, SRAM sold MY2018 brakes during 2017.) Of those MY2018 sales, discs represented a whopping 87 percent of road brakes sold as OE to bike brands, according to SRAM. For aftermarket sales, discs represented 13 percent of road bike sales."

However, a huge percentage of OEM rim brake spec on SRAM and Shimano equipped bikes, especially the lower and mid range, is from Tektro and Promax...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I've done some pretty gnarly gravel on my aero road bike with 23C Conti 4000S tires but it beat the hell out of me.
I have been looking at a new aero road with hydraulic disc purely so I have an "all road" bike.

You can run ~28mm tires with most conventional, dual-pivot road brakes. You can run up to 40mm tires with road/cx linear pulls (TRP CX-8.4, CX-9, Tektro RX5, Paul's Mini-V, etc.), most of which have excellent braking performance when set up properly. Rim brakes aren't keeping you from running bigger tires on an all-road bike. Did I mention they're also lighter, (generally) cheaper, easier to set up and maintain?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brakes may not be, but an older frame probably is.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this means it's only a matter of time before UCI allows disc brakes for all road racing.

I'm not in a hurry to replace my ar5 but my next bike will more than likely have disc brakes. Or I just keep the felt for a handful of UCI races a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tire clearance is definitely not something that (road) frame designers have been focused on in the last couple decades, since most people were using tires no bigger than 25mm until the last few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/road-disc-brakes-the-tipping-point-51685/

Shimano: "We have not been able to meet demand for Dura-Ace and Ultegra hydraulics. There is a good chance we will see disc eclipse rim brake in total sales in 2018.”

SRAM: "For model year 2018 product, discs represented 67 percent of all sales, Zellmann says, compared to 44 percent for model year 2017. (Model years are often a year ahead of the actual calendar. For example, SRAM sold MY2018 brakes during 2017.) Of those MY2018 sales, discs represented a whopping 87 percent of road brakes sold as OE to bike brands, according to SRAM. For aftermarket sales, discs represented 13 percent of road bike sales."

However, a huge percentage of OEM rim brake spec on SRAM and Shimano equipped bikes, especially the lower and mid range, is from Tektro and Promax...

Good point.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Tire clearance is definitely not something that (road) frame designers have been focused on in the last couple decades, since most people were using tires no bigger than 25mm until the last few years.

Yup...lack of clearance on road frames is a fairly recent issue. My '86 Bianchi steel frame (and brakes!) can easily accommodate tires measuring ~28mm+ wide.

It's funny...but all the current road brakes which everyone complains can't fit 28mm wide tires are known as "short reach". Older "standard reach" calipers can easily clear that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Blacky wrote:
I have done 20,000 km on disc brakes and I have never had to touch them yet. I do a bit more on my mtb, but you are not exactly smashing through rock gardens on your road bike, how the hell do you bend a road rotor outside a crash ?

Just bump it in transit or while hanging it up at home or have someone bump it while a group is stopped at a gas station. It doesn't take much force to throw a throw a rotor out of true.

The only time I've knocked a rotor out of true was when I ran over my front wheel with my car.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Radar on the Disc Brake Tipping Point (Paging BryanD) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Blacky wrote:
I have done 20,000 km on disc brakes and I have never had to touch them yet. I do a bit more on my mtb, but you are not exactly smashing through rock gardens on your road bike, how the hell do you bend a road rotor outside a crash ?

Just bump it in transit or while hanging it up at home or have someone bump it while a group is stopped at a gas station. It doesn't take much force to throw a throw a rotor out of true.

The only time I've knocked a rotor out of true was when I ran over my front wheel with my car.

There seem to be two distinct sets of experiences with rotors coming out of true, those who have it happen routinely, and those who don't. I think there are some rotors that are untrue out of the box, or that develop a small problem under hard usage due to the heating up and cooling that happens (and often being used while they're hot). Like a poorly built wheel that comes out of true just with the normal stress of riding.

Also, hydro calipers have very little pad clearance, even less than mechanical calipers from what I can tell. That's going to make any tiny 1-2mm bend in the rotor result in rubbing.

So if you combine a hydro caliper with cheap rotors that are prone to bend under normal usage, you get a fairly high maintenance braking system. These are the things that I expect will be improved upon in the next several years as the road disc brake systems get more refined and user friendly. Who remembers trying to center road calipers (rim brake) in the days before Shimano dual-pivots? Huge PITA, and you'd still get rub from time to time. Eventually the components got more user friendly. Disc brake systems probably will as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next