Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Purchase Process for Tall Triathletes
Quote | Reply
I have been racing on a 2014 Cervelo P5 for ten years, and I am ready to purchase a new bike for next season. I am 6'5" with long legs, so my options are more limited. What is the best approach to use when buying a new bike to fit my size? I have read the posts suggesting that I work with a bike fitter. However, if I work with bike fitter A, they will recommend a Special Shiv; if I work with bike fitter B, they will recommend a Cervelo, etc. Do I simply select a brand based on some research and see if my size can be accommodated? I have reviewed the stack/reach table here, and I have seen the bike fit assistance threads.

I have been saving for several years, so I am looking at the top options. Based on reviews and targeting bikes with stacks in the 580+ range, I am looking at the Specialized Shiv Expert, the Scott Plasma 6, and the Quintana Roo V-PR. (I do not know which bikes are even available for purchase). I would love another Cervelo P5, but they no longer sell the 61 size. The largest Trek Speed Concept also appears to be too small. I am cautious of the Canyon's due to the challenges of getting them serviced in the U.S. Am I missing any other options (or considering options that I shouldn't)?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchase Process for Tall Triathletes [spcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv bars are painful, strike that from the list
What is your saddle height? That is potentially a decider if you've got long legs
Also post your Pad XY and aerobar tilt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting Canyons serviced in the US (or the world). Is a non issue. Good bike shops like working with people who are into cycling. QR's a good option too. Post up on that QR thread and let me make some recommendations.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchase Process for Tall Triathletes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’4” with a 36” inseam. I have similar issues as you. You are going to need a bike with a lot of frame stack. That will allow you to get the armpads up where you need them with the tall saddle height you need for your long legs. I have found the cervelo p-series 61cm and the QR bikes in a 58.5 have the highest frame stack of most bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I avoid fitters who are tied to a retail bike shop to avoid any conflict of interest. Each that I’ve used has provided my measurements along with a selections of bikes that can be fit to me. There are likely a few that would work for you out of the box as well as others that you would be able to customize to fit you. As taller athletes we have to do more fiddling to get things just right but it’s doable. QR and Canyon both were options for me and I went with Canyon and am happy with it. I’m a few inches taller than you so there is hope.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Purchase Process for Tall Triathletes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. The information above is very helpful.

I completed measurements using my current P5 and checked the measurements against my older P2. I am adding a photo in case it is helpful. The Saddlebar Height (bar to the top middle of the saddle) is around 310mm. (Both have a stack (bottom bracket center to bar) of around 580mm.) On my P5, my Pad Y is 748mm, and my Pad X is 254mm. My P5 is on the aggressive side, so slightly higher pads would be fine. (Each season, it takes a couple of months for my neck muscles to adapt). I do not know what the aerobar tilt means, but my aerobars are relatively horizontal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’5 with long legs - 38” inseam - and I’ve got a 2013 Specialized Shiv that I love. Got it off eBay cheap and customized it, including a Tririg Alpha one front end, which allows for a lot of adjustment. XL Shiv frames pop up on eBay pretty often - I’d recommend that route for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edit: just saw your extra info on the QR thread. Your first step is to go to a good fitter, because a 36" inseam, what you've said about your saddle height and that pointed down saddle suggest that buying a bike off your existing measurements could be a mistake. There is the potential that what I'd said below would be invalidated by a fit review.

I've got a description of how to measure the key points here
Your bars don't tilt, so that's easy.

I measured on my bike and my 840mm saddle height gives 260mm above the top tube, so if that puts you at 890 you're in trouble with some brands.
Have just been through this for one of my clients in the same range. QR V-PR maxed out with a Jcob saddle (higher rails) gets us ~880mm
Cervelo P-series now has a lowered seat tube so I don't think that gets where you need to be

You are a strong candidate for a Canyon Speedmax CF (not the SLX or CFR, the bars on those would be an issue for you)
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Sep 16, 23 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the feedback. I have found a fitter in NJ who will be able to help with the bike purchase process. Based on the comments above, I should have a few good options, and I will know what questions to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'5" and have been riding either a Felt DA or a newer B series in 58cm for years with no issue. Fits like a glove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'5" with a 36 (sometimes 38") inseam.

I ride a FELT IA size XL(58). The only modification I've had to do is get armpads/brackets that let me extend my arms out a bit. But that is something unique to me I think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4" with a 38" inseam. Normal body, freakish arms and legs. I ended up with a 2016 Speed Concept XL with the High Far stem.

Trek may be another option for you.

Good Luck. The struggle is real.

-- Scott
Quote Reply