Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Computer with Lap Timer -- No Polar/Garmin need apply
Quote | Reply
I want a simple bike computer with lap timer. I generally like to know my lap times for 10 mile segments in both training and racing.

So far the only one I found was a Cateye CC-CD300DW http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/251

Opinions on the Cateye?

Any other suggestions besides the Cateye?

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer with Lap Timer -- No Polar/Garmin need apply [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specailized Turbo Elite and Comp both have a lap feature with 12 lap memory.

As for the Cateye, everyone I have owned failed on me within 6 months. My Specialized Turbo Elite has been on my mountain bike for well over a year and my previous Specialized computers have all lasted until I decided I need a new toy :D

I know you don't want a Polar, but the CS100 and CS200 are worth looking at. The wireless technology on these new Polar bike computers is much better then the older Polars.

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Last edited by: Alan Romania: May 10, 07 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer with Lap Timer -- No Polar/Garmin need apply [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the Cateye for two years. Went through three sending units before trading it in for a Astrale. The unit worked fine, get a little interference from HRMs, and Cateye's customer supposrt has been second to none.

But the dang sensor would slip, and either the cadence sensor would get wacked off, or it would go the other way and slam into my spokes, cracking the seonsor case and falling off. This issue and this issue alone is the reason I got rid of the computer. Cateye acknowledges that the sensor fails to fit some bikes, and replaced all my sensors for free! One time at a race, the head unit bracket came apart. Lost the unit. Cateye replaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no Garmin? I love my Forerunner 305. Works great on the run and on the bike. I've got it setup to autolap every mile on the run and every 10 miles on the bike. Pretty handy.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer with Lap Timer -- No Polar/Garmin need apply [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why no Garmin?

Why no Garmin?
I have a 201 -- I know old technology.
For my ride last Sunday on a beautiful if slightly cloudy day I finally gave up after 5 minutes of not finding a satellite. At IMFL the interior safety seal was not broken on a gatorade bottle and when I broke it I dumped quite a bit on my garmin and bike computer. The bike computer was fine, but the garmin was flakey for the rest of the ride.

Why no Polar?
I have a S625x and the bike speed and cadence sensor. I have had tons of problems regarding picking up a signal(I have read the signal boost post), interference from power lines, and the sensors just not fitting right on aero tubes or misaligning at inopportune times or potholes. Also without auto-pause the Polar does not give me accurate 10-mile split times.

OTOH my Astrale 8 has been rock solid in the same situations, but it does not do lap times. If the Astrale 8 had lap times it would be perfect as it does rear wheel speed and cadence.

With both the Garmin and the Polar I can't just jump on the bike and go. With a bike computer I just jump on the bike and go.

A wired bike computer is simplicity incarnate -- no waiting, charging, interference, satellite blockage, chest strap not damp enough, goofy mounting brackets, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One must ask then- why not wear a wrist watch and just hit the lap button when you want to?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer with Lap Timer -- No Polar/Garmin need apply [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One must ask then- why not wear a wrist watch and just hit the lap button when you want to?
A watch does not have an auto-pause feature and I often get stopped by lights and other traffic control devices. This often amounts to 3-4 minutes per 10 mile segment -- 34 minutes for 10 miles --> 17.6mph vs. 30 minutes for 10 miles --> 20.0mph.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you don't want Polar recomendations but since switching to the Polar CS600 which uses 2.4Ghz wireless transmission, I have not observed any problems with speed/cadence sensor signal loss due to external interference like I did with my Cateye CC-300D nor do I see any HR spikes/transients like I did with Sports Instruments ECG 9 HRM. I think the CS600 has a 99-lap recording memory but I am still learning the features but I am a tad leary about replacing the sensors once the batteries start to fade but maybe by that time someone will have found a way to hack the sensors so users can replace the batteries.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply