Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BikeBox TriAero Easyfit
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Bike Box Alan Triathlon Aero Easyfit and need to fly SouthWest Airlines next week. Looks like the Southwest will only ship a bike under 80" in total dimensions. My BBA Box is 109'.

Does anyone have any experience flying with their Bike Box Alan on Southwest? They recommended I fly it cargo but it takes 7-10 days to set up a cargo accounts (which I applied for today but likely won't get approved in time).

Any recommendations or experiences flying with a Bike Box Alan Triathlon Easyfit?

At a minimum need to fly it to Kona for Ironman in 2024, and would love to take it on a few more trips so looking for some advice.

Height: 89cm / 35"
Length: 133cm / 52.5"
Width: 50cm / 20"
Total: 268cm / 108"
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox TriAero Easyfit [Ecap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to work in aviation. Southwest fly 737s and the hold door (and hold itself) is pretty damn small. I'm guessing your bike box just won't fit. Even if it would get through the door and turned to fit in the hold; the hold is curved, so it would have to go at the top on top of other luggage, which it would be super difficult to manoeuvre it into that position.

Can you fly with an airline with larger aircraft?
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox TriAero Easyfit [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. In the future I can and looks like other major airlines have a more generous dimension limit for oversized bags. SW Cargo representative said it would fit if I ship it cargo with them, but just won't be able to do it next week and its too late to change airlines.

Will just have to book future bike trip flights with Delta or another airline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with my BBA Tri box from San Diego to Houston Hobby (round trip). I don't recall the size of the plane. I didn't have any issues flying with the box, but I was charged oversized baggage of $75 each way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we've written quite a bit about airline policies and that linked article is just one.

we also maintain a curated thread on bike travel. you'll notice posts about southwest. there seems to be a behavior with that airline that's typically more liberal than the stated policy. there's also a thread just on southwest airlines.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ecap wrote:
I just purchased a Bike Box Alan Triathlon Aero Easyfit and need to fly SouthWest Airlines next week. Looks like the Southwest will only ship a bike under 80" in total dimensions. My BBA Box is 109'.

Does anyone have any experience flying with their Bike Box Alan on Southwest? They recommended I fly it cargo but it takes 7-10 days to set up a cargo accounts (which I applied for today but likely won't get approved in time).

Any recommendations or experiences flying with a Bike Box Alan Triathlon Easyfit?

At a minimum need to fly it to Kona for Ironman in 2024, and would love to take it on a few more trips so looking for some advice.

Height: 89cm / 35"
Length: 133cm / 52.5"
Width: 50cm / 20"
Total: 268cm / 108"

I have the same box. The wording is a little tricky but as I read it you are good. Its ok if it is over 80" as long as you are under 100 lbs. Thats the way I read it. Here is the Copy/paste off their website. The catch word is "or".
  • Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight and 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown with the same box on Southwest multiple times and never had an issue. I've found it seems totally up to the agent on how airlines treat bike boxes, not all of them seem up to date with what the rules are (and some take it extremely seriously, hence maybe in your case). Likely it was a one time issue if I had to guess.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply