Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike/Frame Delays
Quote | Reply
Why is frame production/delivery so delayed this year? Are domestic manufacturers shipping their inventory elsewhere to try and grow new markets? Is Taiwan that backed up? What gives?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Frame Delays [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Domestic manufacturer really domestic? Is the route from Taiwan to Europe the same as the one to the US? Do the guys on the west coast that stopped unloading ships at the end of last year have anything to do with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, please don't interpret this as rude, but go to www.cnn.com. Read the page. See: War. And remember that Bin Ladin Guy? Oh yeah, then there's the economy..... There is no one reason why EVERYTHING is delayed in 2003, it is a conspiracy of factors. Bike companies are hurting for money like never before. Some do not have the cash to buy the components and materials they need to complete production. Those who do are suffering from the effects of the longshoreman lock-out in late '02 and the incredible increase in security at each of the west coast sea ports- where every bike we buy (with VERY few exceptions) comes into the U.S. Whereas before it took a couple days for several containers of bikes to clear customs now it can take up to three weeks. Add to this the normal challenges of maintaining quality control when the designer and distributor is in the Western Hemisphere and the Manufacturer is in the Eastern Hemisphere and you have not a few weeks of delays, but a few months of delays. The bikes we are starting to see a few of now are the ones we ordered last September ('02) at Interbike Las Vegas. Almost all of them are pre-sold here to consumers. We have all been waiting. And waiting. And waiting. It is worth noting that some very resourceful and enterprising people, such as Beverly at Felt Racing, have done a fantastic job in very difficult circumstances of getting us the bikes we need, Not two days goes by when I don't call Felt and say "F*7K!, Beverly, I need a bike and I need it now, can you help me?" She almost always comes through. Other companies could learn from customer service at the dealer level like Felt delivers. In general, this has been a difficult year in all of commerce. A weak economy, two major wars, the emerging threat of terrorism have all had an effect. It isn't hype, excuses or baloney. Welcome to the world. Right now its a mess. We all live here and Saddam, Osama, Enron, K-Mart, Worldcom, The NASDAQ, the DOW and the consumer confidence index don't care if you or I want our bikes now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Frame Delays [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My P2k turned up with a wait, in my case of 2 weeks, I think I got lucky. My LBS is still waiting from the rest of the order. I have been on it for 3 hrs at the weekend, and I am still in shock. I am not sure if its the fit, new position (versus my road bike), the bike, or my computer is not calibrated correctly but it rocks. If you are waiting from a Cervelo (at least a P2K, cant speak for the rest) be patient, its worth it.

Quote | Reply
Maybe we should skip 2003, and call the new bikes 2004 models. I ordered my stock carbo frame from Ves 3/29, it should ship today. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Frame Delays [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%. I am personally waiting for 3 Cervelos: A P3, A Soloist Team and an R2.5.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Frame Delays [mtndrive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should mention that. I have already sold some 2004 model year Felts, and I am not kidding!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Didn't you have a post about 2-3 months ago telling everyone to get their orders in because these delays were on the horizon?

Zeke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a P2k last fall and I haven't received it yet and I'm leaving for St Croix in three weeks. I also got a pair of HED H3's and they were so far off true that I sent them back for another set. I think I might be riding my Kona road bike with a pair of 32 spoke Aeoheads at this point. Things are starting to look up though. Last I heard was that the P2K was built and they were waiting on a seatpost (probably from somewhere in the far west). They tell me anyday now. I hope that's true.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike/Frame Delays [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Zeke, THANK YOU! Yes, I did write a post on Slowtwitch and an editorial on my own website about bike delays, the factors leading up to them, etc. I admonished people to get to their LBS NOW (then) to get measured, ask questions and place an order. But, of course, no one (or very few) listened. Now those same people come into my sotre daily and ask "How long for the new 2003 Super Kona Deluxe?" I say, "Oh, the 2003 production is sold out. The 2004s will be out in July (with a hefty price increase)". They say "What?!?! I haven't even SEEN a Super Kona Deluxe in a bike shop yet... how can they be sold out?" I say, "Becasue we (and every other tri shop) sold all they made back in March, before the first one ever got here." Then they look at me like I'm speaking martian and go to 5 other bike shops who either tell them "Yeah, we can get Super Konas in 2 weeks, give us your money..." Then 6 weeks later when the bike still hasn't materialized they are pissed. You're right, and I don't mean to say "I told you so" but the factors leading up to this delays didn't take a CIA analyst to figure out. You just needed to apply common sense. Last weekend I sold my first 2004 bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've entertained no less than 6 phone calls from 10:00 A.M. to 2:52 P.M. asking about bike delivery delays. I phoned the appropriate vendors and have no more information about delivery times now than I did before the phone call. This is the very definition of frustration.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply