Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most doctors do not know about TBI, concussions, and helmets. Certainly I would not expect any primary care docs to know anything, and even most neurologists don't. Trauma surgeons are mostly knowledgable about acute management, and not about repeat injuries, long term issues etc. If you ask a neurologist specializing in TBI, you would get a very different response.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [KevP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KevP wrote:
One of the technologies they are using to adress this is MIPS, currently only beginning to enter the bike helmet market. I think POC is leading the way with one MIPS version of their top end road and MTB helmets.

They are very expensive though.

Can one buy a POC helmet in the U.S.?

EDIT: Does the POC Octal have the MIPS technology? I don't see it listed here: http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1880/octal
EDIT2: What certification do you have to have to race in the U.S. and in Europe? Does the CPSC cover both? Or do you have to have ANSI or whatever?
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Oct 16, 14 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had two (2) wrecks in the last two (2) years and suffered concussions in both. Destroyed the helmets in both. I am however alive and well.

Am interested in MIPS and other technologies coming. It's my opinion that cycling helmets are a bit behind in current technology.

The helmets did nothing to prevent broken shoulders though. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
As a neurologist, I don't find this weird at all. Much of the cause of concussion and other forms of closed (that is without a skull fracture) traumatic brain injury, is the acceleration/deceleration and rotational forces that affect the brain floating around inside the skull. I don't see how anything that you put around your head would change how fast your brain decelerates compared to your skull, when everything all of a sudden comes to a stop. Theoretically, you could have a serious TBI without anything actually touching your head, if your head quickly comes to a stop (provided most of the time this is caused by something causing an impact on the skull, thus the theoretical).

From what I remember, helmets reduce the risk of death by reducing skull fractures and intracranial hemorrhage.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell them in Canada. We usually get the US version of everything so I would assume you can get it in the US.

I don't know exactly what models have MIPS, but it is usually stated clearly in the name.

I would check the POC website.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
A pretty interesting article I stumbled upon. An excerpt:

Quote:
Yet when it comes to bike helmets, I later learned, we're all wearing decorative versions of the same Model T: a thick foam liner (actually expanded polystyrene, or EPS) attached to a thin plastic outer shell. The basic setup hasn't changed much since the first one was sold in 1975.

That classic design deserves serious plaudits. The $40 helmet is one of the great success stories of the past half-­century. Like seat belts, air bags, and smoke detectors, bike helmets save countless lives every year. They do a stellar job of preventing catastrophic skull fractures, plus dings and scrapes from low-hanging tree branches and other common nuisances.

But what about concussions?

http://gearfinder.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html

I have a more entertaining one.... fear the mighty ORGs.

http://www.helmets.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm

Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 16, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well duh. I know when I rode motorcycles, the purpose was to protect
My face or skull from cracking. Years of boxing taught me head gear doesn't protect against concussions. When I was in driving school I was told that many fatalities involving seatbelt a are due to rapid deceleration. Yes your body stops with the assistance of the belt. But your organs do not. And they suffer trauma or complete destruction.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qus2wiRUVBw

Concussion? Maybe?....split skull open with brains leaking out? nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you invent a helmet to prevent concussions you'd be a very rich man, think hockey, NFL. Our brains are suspended in liquid. If you hit your head it gets 'sprained' by sloshing around. No helmet can prevent that, and yes I have a scott mips helmet but I wouldn't want to test it out. The poc helmets also have softer Eva to absorb some energy.

nickwhite wrote:
A pretty interesting article I stumbled upon. An excerpt:

Quote:
Yet when it comes to bike helmets, I later learned, we're all wearing decorative versions of the same Model T: a thick foam liner (actually expanded polystyrene, or EPS) attached to a thin plastic outer shell. The basic setup hasn't changed much since the first one was sold in 1975.

That classic design deserves serious plaudits. The $40 helmet is one of the great success stories of the past half-­century. Like seat belts, air bags, and smoke detectors, bike helmets save countless lives every year. They do a stellar job of preventing catastrophic skull fractures, plus dings and scrapes from low-hanging tree branches and other common nuisances.

But what about concussions?

http://gearfinder.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me that goes without saying. How can you safely slow down a brain from 20 mph to nil over a distance of three inches?

Quote | Reply
I think it comes to weight being a factor too. Take a look at the helmets currently used in football with the special cushioning (air/gel like). It has been awhile but I remember those helmets being a lot heavier than the helmets we currently use that have a few foam pads and a suspended fit system. People complain about their necks being sore from wearing these helmets, can you imagine how sore it would be with a helmet that ways 2-3 times as much? I think most people would stay away from those helmets since most people would not do the necessary neck strengthening exercises.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can live with a concussion (hehe), it's the permanent brain damage and/or traumatic head injury part I am trying to avoid. :)
Last edited by: d00d: Oct 17, 14 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh. A serious concussion could leave you with long term disabilities and be unable to work. Concussion is a traumatic brain injury.

d00d wrote:
I can live with a concussion (hehe), it's the permanent brain damage and/or traumatic head injury part I am trying to avoid. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The helmets in football don't work either. In fact you don't even have to hit your head to get a concussion. Any rapid deceleration will do it. If such a helmet existed to protect against traumatic brain injury we should all wear it. Trust me on that one.

PUTU wrote:
I think it comes to weight being a factor too. Take a look at the helmets currently used in football with the special cushioning (air/gel like). It has been awhile but I remember those helmets being a lot heavier than the helmets we currently use that have a few foam pads and a suspended fit system. People complain about their necks being sore from wearing these helmets, can you imagine how sore it would be with a helmet that ways 2-3 times as much? I think most people would stay away from those helmets since most people would not do the necessary neck strengthening exercises.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
I can't speak to whether or not a cycling helmet prevents concussions, but personally, wearing a helmet has saved a large portion of my scalp from being ripped off.

Me too. Top of my head hit the pavement first. Scraped a good half inch off the helmet shell in a 4x4" area and broke in about 10 spots.. Got a concussion. Got transient amnesia. Got a broken neck. The concussion was the least of my concern. Helmet did its job in that my brain isn't on a road somewhere and absorbed enough impact that I did't have any spinal cord injury and walked out of the ICU after a few days. Doctors said I would have not walked out w/o a proper helmet.

I will take that "excellent job of preventing catastrophic injury and death." protection today's helmet standards provide. I will take a concussion over death any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new helmets do prevent some of the head trauma. Nothing is ever going to prevent it but the certainly help. I don't think cycling helmets do much but they at least help against major trauma.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [Quinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinner wrote:
Duh. A serious concussion could leave you with long term disabilities and be unable to work. Concussion is a traumatic brain injury.

d00d wrote:

Duh back to yourself...I understand the repercussions of a concussion and was just injecting a little humor...Lighten up.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is saying not to wear a helmet, the point is that we should be aware if the risks of traumatic brain injury even with a helmet.

godaddygo wrote:
Nick B wrote:
I can't speak to whether or not a cycling helmet prevents concussions, but personally, wearing a helmet has saved a large portion of my scalp from being ripped off.

Me too. Top of my head hit the pavement first. Scraped a good half inch off the helmet shell in a 4x4" area and broke in about 10 spots.. Got a concussion. Got transient amnesia. Got a broken neck. The concussion was the least of my concern. Helmet did its job in that my brain isn't on a road somewhere and absorbed enough impact that I did't have any spinal cord injury and walked out of the ICU after a few days. Doctors said I would have not walked out w/o a proper helmet.

I will take that "excellent job of preventing catastrophic injury and death." protection today's helmet standards provide. I will take a concussion over death any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I really should lighten up about being out of work for over six months and being in pain for the last 12 months and counting.

d00d wrote:
Quinner wrote:

d00d wrote:

Duh back to yourself...I understand the repercussions of a concussion and was just injecting a little humor...Lighten up.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

I have a more entertaining one.... fear the mighty ORGs.

http://www.helmets.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm

What's entertaining about it? Seems like a rational critique of the Bicycling article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinner wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying not to wear a helmet, the point is that we should be aware if the risks of traumatic brain injury even with a helmet.

godaddygo wrote:
Nick B wrote:

No, I am saying to me, a helmets most important function is to protect me from catastrophic injury and death, not protecting me against a concussion. That is why "I" wear a helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
As a neurologist, I don't find this weird at all. Much of the cause of concussion and other forms of closed (that is without a skull fracture) traumatic brain injury, is the acceleration/deceleration and rotational forces that affect the brain floating around inside the skull. I don't see how anything that you put around your head would change how fast your brain decelerates compared to your skull, when everything all of a sudden comes to a stop. Theoretically, you could have a serious TBI without anything actually touching your head, if your head quickly comes to a stop (provided most of the time this is caused by something causing an impact on the skull, thus the theoretical).

From what I remember, helmets reduce the risk of death by reducing skull fractures and intracranial hemorrhage.
Nothing on the outside is going to change how your brain sloshes to a halt for a given skull deceleration, what a helmet does is to improve the manner in which the head is brought to rest, exchanging a short sharp skull deceleration for a longer deceleration of lower magnitude. And as someone else has already posted, there's a limit to what you can achieve in a couple of inches of safety hat. It is definitely a case of Baby Bear's porridge - too big an impact (Daddy Bear) and the helmet will bottom out and there is very little benefit, for a small impact (Mummy Bear) there is very little for the helmet to do although the superficial damage to the helmet exterior may lead one to think it's saved one's life - imagine if that had been my (polystyrene) skull - I'd have definitely been killed. And for a narrow band somewhere in between is an impact for which protection is needed and a CPSC/CE1078 can protect rather than being overwhelmed with kinetic energy it can't dissipate.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dontswimdontrun wrote:
Nothing on the outside is going to change how your brain sloshes to a halt for a given skull deceleration, what a helmet does is to improve the manner in which the head is brought to rest, exchanging a short sharp skull deceleration for a longer deceleration of lower magnitude...

+1.

The way I understand it, x = vt + 1/2at^2, and hopefully a helmet's small but nonzero "x" will give us a break on an otherwise concussion-inducing "a". I bet there's room for helmet engineering improvement but I'm sure there's at least a little bit of concussion protection already.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [alexabbas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexabbas wrote:
dontswimdontrun wrote:
Nothing on the outside is going to change how your brain sloshes to a halt for a given skull deceleration, what a helmet does is to improve the manner in which the head is brought to rest, exchanging a short sharp skull deceleration for a longer deceleration of lower magnitude...

+1.

The way I understand it, x = vt + 1/2at^2, and hopefully a helmet's small but nonzero "x" will give us a break on an otherwise concussion-inducing "a". I bet there's room for helmet engineering improvement but I'm sure there's at least a little bit of concussion protection already.

Alex
I'd prefer the alternative equation u^2 = v^2 - 2as Cycle helmet is engineered of thickness s such that u velocity when helmet runs out of useful travel = 0 for impact speed ~12mph and deceleration ~250g = dazed but no permanent damage. If you want to avoid concussion, I've no idea how much lower the deceleration would have to be (let's say 100g for discussion), but as s and u don't change, the maximum useful speed v drops too. So the 12mph impact is slowed at 100g or whatever until s is used up and u is still much greater than 0, then the deceleration rockets up. Unfortunately Schroedinger didn't bake a cake, so under classical physics we can't have our cake and eat it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle helmets do almost nothing to prevent concussions [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The helmet does not stop your brain hitting the inside of your skull. It might in some circumstances cause your brain to spin inside the skull more than if your were not wearing helmet. The helmet increases the area that can receive a glancing blow so in some circumstances the helmet increases the chances of the head hitting something.

The risk of head injury is actually very small. In my opinion helmets provide a false sense of security and encourage risk taking.

Helmets dehumanise the cyclist which encourages motorists to dislike cyclists.

Helmets are a ridiculous overreaction to very minimal risk.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 22, 14 4:31
Quote Reply

Prev Next