Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why??
Quote | Reply
I find this rule baffling. It is not mentioned in the athlete's guide except that in the bike rules after talking about the bike sticker being required on the bike, it says that the bib is required on the run, which seems to imply not on the bike but obviously not

They did not specify the penalty for failing to follow this rule. I hope they enforce it on the bike as I feel certain there will be people who do not wear their bibs. What's the drag of a bib number flapping on your butt?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you see that the bib is required on the bike?
As you said, athlete guide says only on the run. Pre race meeting later tonight.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They specified it numerous times at the briefing I attended this morning (for tomorrows race). It was the same at the other 70.3 I did this year (UK).

Cynical me thinks that it is so they can produce/find more pictures for you to buy after the race...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
RACE NUMBER You must wear your bib number during the run portion of the race. In addition, your bike frame sticker must be properly attached to your bike frame and must be visible from both sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a race where the bib number was optional either on the run or the bike.

On the bike its so they can recognise you from behind and ping you if you draft..

On the run I guess its so they know your number if you break the rules.

If there was confusion did you not ask at the briefing ?
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per race briefing, race number on back during bike.

And, no wearing race bib number under wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Back for the ride, front for the run.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They made it very clear at the race briefing.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is weird that it is the opposite than athlete guide. I do not care, Oceanside did it that way, but not in St. George.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be that the Austrian Fed requires it?

Challenge Roth required it I know, but most north american races don't - because USAT doesn't require it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME, that's been the standard at European races. Leanda Cave was DQ'd at IM France in '14 for this rule.

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/...sthash.DZumzlDu.dpbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I find this rule baffling. It is not mentioned in the athlete's guide except that in the bike rules after talking about the bike sticker being required on the bike, it says that the bib is required on the run, which seems to imply not on the bike but obviously not

They did not specify the penalty for failing to follow this rule. I hope they enforce it on the bike as I feel certain there will be people who do not wear their bibs. What's the drag of a bib number flapping on your butt?

Wait, what? You hope they enforce a rule that you don't agree with just so you can get some people DQ'd?

Class.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Wait, what? You hope they enforce a rule that you don't agree with just so you can get some people DQ'd?

Class.

No. I hope they enforce a rule that I will follow even though I don't like it so some people do not get an unfair advantage by not following it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced all over Europe and it's always been number belts for racing on the bike and run.

I had no idea it was different in North America.

I raced the World Duathlon Champs and we had the same rules there too - so is it only NA that do it differently ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the test they did...nothing
(was the Specialized Win Tunnel tests, but can't find it again)

RowToTri wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Power13 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Class.

No. I hope they enforce a rule that I will follow even though I don't like it so some people do not get an unfair advantage by not following it.

Do you really think someone not having their bib on is going to result in any kind of meaningful difference in the results? C'mon....WinTunnel results aside, what can we be talking about....a handful of seconds?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At today's briefing it was also reinforced that race number stickers and bibs could not be modified in any way - no cutting or folding. The direction given was to put the bike sticker on the seatpost unless not physically possible. The alternate location proposed was the left side chainstay.

Besides the bike sticker and bike/run bib, they've also issued front/left and right helmet numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh how quickly we forget. A bib on the bike was required for the longest time in the US. It's only been in recent years (last 3-4 is my guess) that it was no longer required at IM races. It's no big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
At today's briefing it was also reinforced that race number stickers and bibs could not be modified in any way - no cutting or folding. The direction given was to put the bike sticker on the seatpost unless not physically possible. The alternate location proposed was the left side chainstay.

Besides the bike sticker and bike/run bib, they've also issued front/left and right helmet numbers.

Some bikes don't have a seat tube. Some bikes don't have left side chainstays. Is there a bike that has neither?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Power13 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Class.

Do you really think someone not having their bib on is going to result in any kind of meaningful difference in the results? C'mon....WinTunnel results aside, what can we be talking about....a handful of seconds?

If the difference between a traditional 2 piece tri kit and a one piece aero suit can be 9-10 watts then a flappy number might be quit significant.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

The debate about why we should have uniform rules aside, now that its been established that you need them.

The better question now becomes: how do you put one on so that it minimizes whatever drag penalty it gives. (if it does)
Quote Reply
Re: Bib rq'd on bike at 70.3 worlds. Why?? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.nopinz.com/product-category/speedbelts/

If you believe a flappy number will slow you down.
Quote Reply