Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fly-by-night Duathlon

F1 style duathlon on the Watkins Glen NASCAR track. Starts in the evening and ends (depending on your time) at dusk.

$65 last year

2'ish/10/2'ish/10/2'ish distance

http://flybynightdu.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pigman Triathlon.
One of the best.

http://www.pigmantri.com/

John F. Martin, Jr.
+1 (614) 403-0567
jfm225@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shhhh.

Besides, it doesn't qualify as a tri.

Sweeney wrote:
American Zoffingen Duathlon
New Patz, NY

LC: 5mi/89mi/15mi

Middle 5/ 29/ 5/ 29/ 5

Canadian Woman's Division 5/ 29/ 5

All the pain you can ask for for $125, with beer and burgers and bagpipes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A thousand votes for Savageman. A real homegrown grass roots race started by ST'er kny, and an awesome "festival" weekend atmosphere. It has been taken over by VTS/MTS (formerly SetUp) maybe 2 years ago, but they were able to maintain a lot of the awesomeness about the event instilled by the original creators. There is an Oly option on Saturday, half option on Sunday, or you can be crazy and do them both. The half is insanely brutal, many of my friends say it's more challenging than doing a full IM. The Oly is hilly but not insane. Both on beautiful and interesting courses, the volunteers and spectators are awesome with hilarious signs, sometimes in costume, chasing you up the hills. It has the infamous "Westernport Wall" at 31% grade, and if you make it up while keeping the rubber side down, you get your name on a brick paved into the very hill you conquered. The swim turnaround buoy is a TURTLE water trampoline. Can't miss it.
It offers prize money, not a pro purse, just the top 3 of each gender crossing the line regardless of elite/AG status, age, or political affiliation win the money. It also offers primes, fastest swim, bike, run, and fastest climb up Big Savage Mountain, so a good reason to lay down quick splits if you're an ace in one discipline. They give you ice cream and hot chocolate (it's usually cold) with your finisher's meal, actually useful stuff in your race bag like cycling socks. The race itself is pretty cheap (can't look it up currently) and nearby accommodations are reasonable. We usually group up and book one of the rental homes in walking/biking distance from the start. You can camp in tents or cabins. There are also hotels.
Savageman is one of those races that the tri world would so sorely miss, but at the same time, the registration numbers keep dwindling. I could go on for a while about savagman, but instead will link to a recent thread "Savageman MUST DO RACE":
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5701257

And just to share some pictures (plus check out videos of the Wall on the FB page):
www.facebook.com/savagemantri/posts/938071419608207

I'll also toss in a vote for Wildflower. Another awesome race with a unique vibe and atmosphere. I have a lot of the same enthusiasm for this one as Savageman, though it's a bit pricier than Savageman from what I can remember. I can't currently look up race entry prices for either race on their websites. Camping at Wildflower is cheap but quite a road trip (or cross country flight, plus road trip in my case) for most. But once you get there, the seclusion is another part of the awesome!

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Buffalo Springs organizers put on an Olympic the day before the 70.3 where you can sign up for $80 if you're 2 months out, but just $85 up to race day. The sprint distance is $65, the kids race is $35-50 depending on advance registration or not. I think the Olympic is a steal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra Marquette Epic, 2013

No longer held.
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pumpkinman
^Yep, my latest blog post (link below) shares my experience this year. First time taking on "the double" (sprint and half) but third year racing there, and it has never been anything short of the best race in the northeast. The only race I've done that beats it is Kona, which can't really match up on the "affordable" category.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, Full Vineman is $337.50 as short as one month out if you register with somebody and get the promo. If you commit by the end of this year, its just $281.25. This may be the best deal in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in the UK, I'd say that events by "Always Aim High" are excellent value, I've done their Slateman triathlon twice and loved it both times.
They run a handful of different events throughout the year, and the feedback that I've seen on the other events (which I haven't done) has been excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'll leave it up to you what constitutes grass roots tri, but i consider it anything other than "premium" tri. premium tri = a race where the brand commands and the opportunity to charge a premium is taken. what comes to mind? Ironman obviously. Escape to Alcatraz at $750.

large or well known races are, for the purpose here, eligible. i'm just looking for the best value in racing in an "affordable" race and by affordable i don't mean that you can afford it, rather that the great majority of people who want to race it can afford it. you might think ironman is the best value in triathlon and it may well be, considering what you get versus what you pay. a mercedes SLK 350 may well be the best value in a car, but it's not a "value" car by the definition here.

i think you all get it, right? in consideration of this extremely worthwhile thread, i'd like to know is what each of you consider the best value "value" race currently ongoing that you've recently participated in or spectated or volunteered at, in your own region or elsewhere.

LATE ADD: can you tell me where the race is along with its name? and anything else about the race, such as the race distance and the entry fee. also, you might want to take the poll at the right.

Tris 4 Health puts on two well run and respected races in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

Grand Rapids Tri (sprint, oly, half)
Michigan Titanium, aka MiTi (oly, half, full).

You can enter a half for as low as $175 and a full for $350. After signing up for IMWI last month I think those are reasonable. Both events are extremely well run and the organizers are very active in the community. The Grand Rapids Tri does a better job of having the big "event" feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Suddenlink Lake Nasworthy Tri in San Angelo Texas. 300yd/10mi/2mi. $20.

It's not a USAT event so for somebody wanting to try a triathlon they will not
have to spring for the one day insurance.

It's extremely grass roots. No timing chip.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 5, 15 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Vineman AquaBike Full last year. Great organization, volunteer support, etc. They know how to put on a race. I assume the Full distance Tri would also be well supported etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'll also toss in a vote for Wildflower."

i love this race. it's a classic, and i go to it most years. i question, however, its status as a "value" race. this doesn't mean i consider this any less important a race than ironman. just, i don't consider ironman a value race according to my definition above.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
High Peaks Cyclery has a tri series in Lake Placid NY every Monday night. Cost is $15 per race. You get a great course, some great competition, and a really good time. It is like the way triathlons used to be 20+ years ago. Racers raced HARD, and afterwards we all got together to talk, eat, bs. Kind of like a hard track workout. One thing that probably contributes to the good nature of the even is that everyone knows most everyone else, and therefore it stays pretty friendly as is the case with many 'low key' or weekly club races (no one cheats, dopes, or anything like that) . Im not sure why when you have people coming in as strangers that this comradery or 'fun feeling' is oftentimes lost. I would figure that people would put their best foot forward...but this drifts from the original question. Is this kind of event series more along what you were looking for?

Stephen J

If/when the demand for high priced tris does fade, triathlon would still be in great shape IMHO if every town had a race series like this. Of course, not every town has the beauty of Lake Placid.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 5, 15 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S.O.S, Survival of the Shawangunks, also in New Paltz, NY

Everyone knows it, Don Davis dreamed it up using his training route:

29 mi bike, 5 mile trail run, .9 mile swim, 5 mile run, .5 mile swim. longer run includes Godzilla, shorter swim, 1mile run up the stone stairs to the tower. It's something like that. Then the feast of all feasts at the tables overlooking Lake Mohonk. It's the last of the originals. It's always seemed expensive, but it's always been worth it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a bunch of local races that I would consider grass root tri's.

I was unhappy with some of them because of the lack of bike course markings.

A more experienced company would be more likely to not have that issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert's Edge Triathlon Festival in Fruita, CO put on by Racing Underground

XTerra Fruita on Saturday
Sprint or Olympic on Sunday

Depending on when you register it's $65-100 per race

All based at Highline State Park and you can camp festival style. The campground is about 200 yards from the start/finish.

I did the XTerra this year. Lots of fun.

Formerly DrD
Last edited by: Broken Leg Guy: Oct 5, 15 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get around much to very many races, but one I'd like to submit, and I know you've raced it, is the Carlsbad Triathlon. As far as I know, it's still independent of USAT and draws quite a crowd. In the old days, the awards were as funky as could be - wind chimes, coconut shell ukeleles, baoding balls, etc. (They're now just medals, but desktop style with a small propping stand). They also seem to never cancel due to high surf, which is common at Tamarack Surf Beach. It's a short (1k), but difficult swim, a longish (25k), but very open bike course and a rolling 3 mile run. Fun times there.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Triple T. Small, fun, brutal and cheap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
June Lake Tri (eastern Sierra California south of Tahoe) ((for people outside CA))
Grass Roots for sure. Not tons of participants. Very low key. Locally sponsored and run.
Value: good- small price for lots of fun. Difficult and challenging. Sprint, oly, and half IM options. Beautiful course. Tons to do in the area outside the race.
Bad- fairly remote so travel to and fro could cost some.
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bad- fairly remote so travel to and fro could cost some."

gas! and a few hours driving time. that's all it costs. i love that race. i'm up in the eastern sierras all the time. that's my bike playground.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess you missed the Graniteman challenge a few weeks back.
Friday: 2.4 mile swim in June lake(turned out more like 3miles)
Saturday: eastern Sierra century
Sunday: Tioga pass run
Great fun!
I'm going back next year
Quote Reply
Re: Best value grass roots tri [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah. well. that's a little rich for my blood. i would have spent a lot of time backstroking. it's hard swimming 3mi at 8000'.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Wildflower
Auburn tri - oly & half
Vineman full/Barb's Race
Monte Rio
Marin County tri
Big Blue Adventure - Donner Lake half, Lake Tahoe half
Alcatraz by TriCal or Escape from the Rock by Envirosports version (if ever come back)
HITS Series with early registration pricing
USAProductions
Santa Cruz tri - sprint/oly
Santa Barbara tri
TBF Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
River Cities Tri in Shreveport La. A longer sprint, 750 yd OWS, 18 mile bike and 5 K. 95.00 entry fee and at least 100.00 worth of swag. Last year a transition backpack, tech T, Long sleeved T, sunglasses and a running hat. In it's 35th year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next