Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best super shoe for me
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

Bonus comes in next week, and I’m looking to buy a “super shoe” for some road races and my 70.3’s.

A little background:

5’9”, race at 185lbs. Fat feet lol. Very wide.
Can currently run 1:45 half but I’ve never trained or tried to go any lower. Just held that pace.

Price is not a factor. I realize most of these shoes are 250-325 CDN and accept that fact.

I currently have my eyes on the following:

Hoka Ceilo X1 - $310
New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Elite v4 - $329
Brooks Hyperion Elite 2 - $170
Saucony Men's Endorphin Pro 3 - $210

I’ve been told that Nikes fit more narrow so I didn’t add them.
I’ve used Hokas for the past 6 years and have had good luck with them. Before that I raced in Saucony’s.

Just looking for some expert advice and also if anyone’s had good or bad luck with any brand.

Open to other suggestions as well. This is just what the local run club sells.

Thank you.

Quinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have EE width for hockey skates and still run in Alphaflys with no problem. Alphaflys 1 are like Giro Aerohead for aero testing - according to many podcasts I’ve listened to etc. they seem to test the fastest for the highest % of people. IMO it would be a test design flaw if you didn’t include them.

Edit: you might eventually end-up with different shoe per course. It’s not super safe nor comfy to run tight corners on cobbles with 40mm stack shoes.
Last edited by: Michal_CH: Feb 10, 24 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like my brooks Hyperion 1s. I know that the 4s have gotten some positive reviews.

I'd say get the endorphin pro 4s or speed 4s end of February... February 29th apparently.
Last edited by: littlefoot: Feb 11, 24 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're happy with Hokas, I'd bias toward the X1s....unless you are in my AG; in that case definitely go with the NB 990s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. M40/44 so….. haha.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ve removed the Brooks from the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Bonus comes in next week, and I’m looking to buy a “super shoe” for some road races and my 70.3’s.

A little background:

5’9”, race at 185lbs. Fat feet lol. Very wide.
Can currently run 1:45 half but I’ve never trained or tried to go any lower. Just held that pace.

Price is not a factor. I realize most of these shoes are 250-325 CDN and accept that fact.

I currently have my eyes on the following:

Hoka Ceilo X1 - $310
New Balance FuelCell SuperComp Elite v4 - $329
Brooks Hyperion Elite 2 - $170
Saucony Men's Endorphin Pro 3 - $210

I’ve been told that Nikes fit more narrow so I didn’t add them.
I’ve used Hokas for the past 6 years and have had good luck with them. Before that I raced in Saucony’s.

Just looking for some expert advice and also if anyone’s had good or bad luck with any brand.

Open to other suggestions as well. This is just what the local run club sells.

Thank you.

Quinner.

The Saucony Pro 3 are on sale in many countries ... I'd buy these.
And I wouldn't say that Nike fit narrow, if you could find some Alphafly 1 or 2 these would be my first choice.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Feb 10, 24 22:56
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favourite training shoe are the Endorphin Speed (nylon plate), so I bought the Pros, but not really a fan. They're OK. But I'm back to racing in my Metaspeeds and will probably get the Vaporfly 3s at some point. But give the Pros a try, a lot of people like them. I guess it's a very individual thing and dependant on a bunch of factors.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I’m
Making some calls today to see if they’re any Nikes out there. Added them to the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Many people are talking on the Alpha flys. Now to find a pair lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bavarian_Frank wrote:

Now that the SEP4 are announced/out, I expected the SEP3 to be on discount. I have not found them less than $225 in the US. Are they on sale in non-US countries, or do you have a lead for a US location sale?
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are on sale for 209$ CDN in London Ontario.

Might be limited sizes

https://www.backroadslondon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Bavarian_Frank wrote:

Now that the SEP4 are announced/out, I expected the SEP3 to be on discount. I have not found them less than $225 in the US. Are they on sale in non-US countries, or do you have a lead for a US location sale?

40 % off in Germany if you search the web but not all sizes ... 30 % off if you buy from Saucony online outlet
There is also a big online shop in the UK with some discount

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Feb 11, 24 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike VF3 are pure magic. Super light, very comfortable/cushy and great bounce.
Not quite the same pop feeling of the AF1 (I didn't try AF2 due to negative reviews or AF3 - impossible to get), but still amazing energy return and very goon on your feet on long run.
The upper feels a bit loose and requires tightening the laces for lockdown and still leaves a lot of room in the toebox, so I imagine will be good with wide feet.

I know its very individual, my n=1: I'm totally addicted to these shoes and find it hard to go back to other pairs even for daily training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have them for $135
Saucony has them for $135. They should be on sale at your local running shop.

If you can't find them call The Running Shop at 520 325 5097 tomorrow 10-5 AZ time. They can ship to you if your size is in stock

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[inline Screenshot_11-2-2024_121027_http://www.saucony.com.jpeg]
I must be looking in the wrong place. From the Saucony web site, 12.15p US CT today. Still $225...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:

And this is the example of why I am against super shoes and other tech. People using them as a crutch to make up for training
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:

And this is the example of why I am against super shoes and other tech. People using them as a crutch to make up for training

Welcome to 2024.

Maybe we should all ride steel bikes and not wear gps watches. The hell with technology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I must be looking in the wrong place. From the Saucony web site, 12.15p US CT today. Still $225...

Ahhh my bad. I was thinking of the Endorphin Speed 3 even though I read that you wrote EP3.

Yeah, those aren't on sale yet. Not sure when the model flips, think it's a couple of months still. Companies usually put shoes on sale 4-8wk before the new model launches

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Nike Vaporfly 3. Toe box is very comfortable, cushy and they will give you enough bounce and propulsion. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever tried.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Try Nike Vaporfly 3. Toe box is very comfortable, cushy and they will give you enough bounce and propulsion. Most comfortable shoes I’ve ever tried.

I'm actually quite disappointed in the bounce/propulsion of the Vaporfly 3's. The Hoka Rocket X2's and New Balance SC Elite v4 both feel more "super" to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth the first and third place women in the recent US marathon trials were on Puma.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
For what it's worth the first and third place women in the recent US marathon trials were on Puma.

They ran the Deviate Nitro Elite 3 prototype which will not be available before the summer for us normal humans.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, but my big race isn't until September, so there's time.
I have the Nitro 2s and I'm hopeful for the 3s.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

Not worth anything as we should all know. The difference in is small and the winner probably would have finished first in any of the supershoes, only the margin would change by a few seconds.

It's interesting to see people still cling to Nike after many other brands have caught up. The differences between them will benefit different runners, so assuming that Nike is the Aerohead of shoes just doesn't work anymore.

Take a few shoes to a lab test and you might find that Nike is the slowest for you depending on weight, gait, and form. You'll also find the shoe that feels fastest often isn't fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: Best super shoe for me [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Not worth anything as we should all know. The difference in is small and the winner probably would have finished first in any of the supershoes, only the margin would change by a few seconds.

It's interesting to see people still cling to Nike after many other brands have caught up. The differences between them will benefit different runners, so assuming that Nike is the Aerohead of shoes just doesn't work anymore.

Take a few shoes to a lab test and you might find that Nike is the slowest for you depending on weight, gait, and form. You'll also find the shoe that feels fastest often isn't fastest.

Which is why I pointed it out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next