Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best scale / weight fluctuation, help!
Quote | Reply
I am about at wit's end with trying to lose weight. Part of my frustration involves our scale, a digital model that never seems to give the same weight twice. Last weekend, I stepped on it, and weighed 190.5 pounds. I shifted the scale (I usually try 3-4 times to see what number pops up the most) to try again (knowing that it almost never gives the same weight twice), stepped on it, and was down to 189.5. Cool, I lost a pound in 10 seconds. I kept stepping on the scale to see what happened, and stayed at 189.5. OK, good deal, I didn't gain any weight over Thanksgiving. Today, after a not particularly bad week, I stepped on the scale fully expecting to have lost weight. My clothes seemed to fit a little better, and my stomach seemed flatter when looking at my profile in the mirror. 190.5!! Shocked, I stepped on it again...191.5!! What the???!! Kept trying the scale in different spots on the floor...191.5. So, I gained 2 pounds in one week, apparently, while expecting to lose weight.

Does anyone else have this problem? What are the best scales out there that give decent results? This is driving me nuts.

Spot

Quote | Reply
My digital scale at home does the same, though it can vary 5 pounds or so from the first time. I'll step on it until I get three numbers the same and use that one. But, I also weigh once a week on the nice doctor's scales at the gym and think that is closer to the real number. I use the one at home just to keep track of trends. Taking measurements once a month also helps keep track.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best scale / weight fluctuation, help! [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot-

I'm a compulsive weigher. I use my scale multiple times a day, every day.

Your weight can fluctuate up to about 5% of your bodyweight without it meaning you truly gained or lost weight. You can "gain" about 2 pounds just by drinking 3 glasses of water. You can lose it.. well, you know how it could seem you lost it.

It's entirely possible that you did lose weight, but were better hydrated when you used the scale.

Try weighing yourself regularly, multiple times a day. I have a similar digital scale, and it flat-out lies sometimes. However, by using multiple readings multiple times a day, you'll know whether you're making progress. Try: first thing in the morning before you brush your teeth or go to the bathroom, when you get home in the afternoon, and right before bed. You'll be amazed some nights at the weight loss in your sleep (at least I am, I've woken up 4 pounds lighter before). The difference between wake-up weight and get-home-in-the-afternoon weight will tell you roughly what you consumed, and can be helpful for choosing meal sizes. The late-night weigh-in can be informative as a retrospective view of dinner, and will give you your overnight information for the morning.

The bottom line is that your clothes can fit better, your stomach can look flatter, and you can weigh more, and this can be a good thing. Keep on hydrating and exercising. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scales are not the most accurate thing in the world. If I were you I would stop weighing myself. There's no point obsessing about the number on the scale!! There are way too many variables that will screw up that number. You know you are making progress when your clothes start to be more loose.

My suggestion to you is figure out how many calories you require per day. This is your basal metabolic rate + training + other activities. Then create a negative caloric balance. I won't say how many calories because it would depend on your situation. Give it time and remember it takes an extra 3,500 calories to gain a pound of fat and it works the other way. You have to create a 3,500 caloric deficit to lose one pound of fat. I'd try to do this now because when you start training hard I would not create much of a deficit. Seek out a sports nutritionist. They will help you with this. But you do have to get off the scale, unless you are trying to figure out your sweat rate. That's a whole other thread though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best scale / weight fluctuation, help! [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
compulsive is right. I don't think that's healthy.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Best scale / weight fluctuation, help! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a long athletic history behind it, of course...

I started playing football in 8th grade. I was always too thin for it - I'm 6 feet tall and didn't break 170 until after I graduated high school. Seriously the wrong shape to play running back. I tore my ACL playing football my senior year.

Post-ACL I had 4 more knee surgeries. Athletically that ruined 2 years of my life.

Before that, though, I got hurt at lacrosse camp when I was 16. I got hit illegally and it ruptured my intestine. 5 days in the hospital after emergency surgery, I was a mess. I had no appetite for weeks - I lost 30 pounds. That's when the weighing started, because I literally needed to force myself to eat to stop the weight loss.

Ever since, I've used the scale to keep an eye on my intake and hydration status. I can tell whether I've been drinking enough, eating enough, or eating too much because I know how much I [i]should[/i] weigh. It also has been enormously helpful after periods of forced sloth, because when I start training again my appetite doubles.

I also know that without a scale, my eating habits spiral out of control. 4 months in Europe with no bike, with the only regular exercise as walking, and I put on 17 pounds. That's what fantastic Italian food will do... when coupled with less exercise and zero monitoring. Once I was back it took 2 weeks to be back to my regular 172.

So, compulsive or not, it actually keeps me healthy. I recognize that I weigh myself far more often than just about anyone anywhere, but as a tracking tool for diet and exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, do what works for you then :)

I try to stay off scales if at all possible. I can go by my hunger and how my clothes fit and do pretty well, but I guess that doesn't work for everyone.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you mean! I weigh myself everyday, not because I'm obsessed with my weight, but mainly to see how my hydration is going. I do have limits on how much weight gain/lost I will allow before I take action to correct it. I have tried to stay within the range of 152-160# (152# during peak competition and max of 160# in the off season) Because of those reason, I bought a "balance beam" type scale, same as in the doctors office. Once calibrated, they are spot on. I don't remember the cost now (somewhere around $300), but it has been well worth it. If you are really dedicated to your physical well being, additional cost like that are worth it, otherwise one of those digital scales will suffice. I also have a digital scale which I'll use when away from home and I have noticed that just over the range from 150-160#, it can vary anywhere from 1-2#. If you're willing to live with that variance, then you need not spend the money for a balance beam type scale. By the way, USED balance beam scales are available, usually from renovated doctors offices. Check you yellow pages or call a medical supply store, they can usually tell you where to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned the fat way in Italy that going by my hunger wasn't going to work well - I'm always hungry. And guys' clothes aren't very reliable for weight checks, they're not nearly tight enough to tell you much before it's too late. Back in high school I could eat as much as I wanted with zero consequences, I couldn't gain weight if I tried - now I know that if I don't pay attention, I'll gain weight I don't want. It's too easy to pay attention and keep it in the right spot, rather than to have to burn if off when I gain weight I don't want or need.
Quote Reply