Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best racing wheelset in U$1000,00 range
Quote | Reply
OK, that is a difficult question. I am planning to buy my first racing wheels. What you recommend in this range?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing wheelset in U$1000,00 range [2107] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can find a lot of new and used sets of Zipp, Hed, others on eBay. Even the new ones are less than you would pay retail. If I had it to do over again I would not buy the Zipp 909s I have now (disc was used, front was new) They were a good deal a $1,100, but a wheel cover and used front wheel off of eBay could have been had for half or one-third the price. Others will tell you, except for coolness factor, there is no difference.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used them, but HED Alps seem to be a nice wheelset in this price range. They appear to be a good all-around set.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a HED trispoke for the front and a RENN disk on the back will bring you in right at about $1000 for brand new.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a guy offering a set of used 404's in the classified for $850

Re: Best racing wheelset in U$1000,00 range [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad

I get your point that eBay is cheaper. But do you mean that you did not like the 909s? If so was it the disc or front wheel. And I don't understand your final sentence.(cool factor)

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a pair of 2004 ZIPP 404's for that price NEW AND WITH A WARRANTY- aka the Flashpoints or Real Design Supersonic 60's. I have a Supersonic front and like it a lot. Buy the Real Design. It is cheaper than the Flashpoint. And if they are not excluded from Trisports' sale tomorrow, then that is a good deal. Even with your regular 15% off at Trisports they are still pretty cheap.
Last edited by: Zoe's Dad: Apr 11, 06 18:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Mike said.....
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing wheelset in U$1000,00 range [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a HED trispoke for the front and a RENN disk on the back will bring you in right at about $1000 for brand new.
I agree with this. If weight is an issue with you and you have a few hunded more you could upgrade to the Renn Madeira (lighter weight upgrade (200 grams?)). This is my race choice, with a HED alps for road races, crits, and windy courses.
Quote Reply