Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best home repair tool substitutes
Quote | Reply
What are your best substitutes for saving $ vs expensive cycling branded tools for your home/garage bike repairs? (This should get some funny responses...)
I'll go first...

Park DC-1 digital calipers HERE for $52 OR sub with any number of options from $9.99 - $29.99 online at Harbor Freight HERE --which looks similar sans the blue color.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Sep 17, 17 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Best home repair tool substitutes [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bearing press

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To knock out an old school headset bearing. Take a copper pipe (3/4?) and cut it lengthwise into quarters half way down, length wise, a 1ft pipe. spread it and shove it down the back end and hammer it out. This was a terrible explanation.

looks like this.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SZx2oaxuJSA/RmjuVnmfi6I/AAAAAAAAAfA/e7JKzCqJrF8/s400/Headset1.jpg
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MattyK [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: MattyK: Sep 17, 17 19:18
Re: Best home repair tool substitutes [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Derailleur hanger alignment - use an old wheel. Screw the axle into the hanger. Measure distance between rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work stand:
Sawhorse: $17
Hinge: $1.50
35 x 70mm wood upright: free. Needs to be narrower than a bottom bracket
Front axle and QR: free from a busted wheel
Magnets to hold tools: free from a hard drive

Instantly adjustable for different size bikes.
It's very tall to clear the mudguard on my commuter. It only needs to be tall enough to clear the cranks above the horse (90mm wide)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truing stands:
Fork and seat stays from a free roadside rubbish bike

In the background of the above you might spot a piece of PVC pipe - that + hammer = crown race setting tool.

Hanging somewhere on the wall is a cheapo pipe cutter used for shortening fork steerers or seat posts. Much cheaper than the "bike" ones...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:

Derailleur hanger alignment - use an old wheel. Screw the axle into the hanger. Measure distance between rims.

What happens if one or both of the wheels are not true?
Quote Reply
Re: Best home repair tool substitutes [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
MattyK wrote:

What happens if one or both of the wheels are not true?
Doesn't matter. Just turn the two wheels and measure between the same point on each. e.g. at the valve stem/hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Park makes great tools and is the go to provider of bike specialty tools. But anything from Park that is a "regular" tool is way over priced even for matching quality. My most recent alternative purchase was this set of T handled allens from Bondhus. These match if not exceed the quality of the Park set and were way cheaper. ($30 vs $66)

https://www.amazon.com/...p;keywords=bondhus+t

FWIW - I have the Harbor Freight version of that Park caliber you cite and as near as I can tell from pictures, they are exactly the same product except for the color of the plastic. Not just similar, but the same thing. Mine cost $16 with a coupon a Harbor Freight and they work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did something similar for a workstand. Used some cheap plumbing pipe and a 2x4. I think the whole thing was less than $50 and I spent way too much. I probably could have knocked this out for ~$25, but sometimes when I start a project, I make it more complicated and expensive than it needs to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow MattyK. I would love to hang out in your shop/garage.
Quote Reply