Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best gear set up for 650 wheels
Quote | Reply
Hello. I am new to the sport and was hoping someone can give me an idea on whar gears I should run for the following scenarios for a 650 bike.

Flats

Hills

We have both here on Guam. Most training rides are on hills and actual Tris are flat. I know what should run for 700c wheels but not 650c wheels. Can someone give me a good idea. I have a cervelo P2k so keep in mind the chainstays are shorter so some gears may not work too well. Thanks.

Jason

"These aren't Love Handles, I just have Big Kidneys!"
Quote Reply
Re: Best gear set up for 650 wheels [bigkidneys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, a cassette one gear lower than what you use for 700's. I like an 11/23 in general and use an 11/21 if it's really flat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hello. I am new to the sport and was hoping someone can give me an idea on whar gears I should run for the following scenarios for a 650 bike.

Flats

Hills

Jason

It depends on your front chain rings. If you have a 55 or 56 up front run the same gears in the back as on a 700C bike. If you have a 52 or 53 up fron then you might want to run 1 gear smaller in the rear to make it roughly the same as your 700C. Personally, I run the same cassettes on my 650 with a 53 front and kind of use it like others use compact cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good question. There is tones of info on 700c setups for hills/flats, but not 650c. And is that really true about running a 53 up front with the same rear-setup to get the effect of a compact crank?
Quote Reply