Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best area to stay for the NYC marathon
Quote | Reply
I am taking the bus from the library to the start line, so I booked at the Marriot around the corner from there. I am starting to think it would make more sense to stay near central park and the finish line and just cab it to the library in the morning of the race. I travel a lot for work, so I am fortunate to have a lot of Marriot points, so not worried about cost. Any insight on the best area in the city to book would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best area to stay for the NYC marathon [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pauljra wrote:
I am taking the bus from the library to the start line, so I booked at the Marriot around the corner from there. I am starting to think it would make more sense to stay near central park and the finish line and just cab it to the library in the morning of the race. I travel a lot for work, so I am fortunate to have a lot of Marriot points, so not worried about cost. Any insight on the best area in the city to book would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe you could use points at the JW Marriott on Central Park South. Great location in my opinion. Would be easy to get to bus from there in the morning. Could just walk from finish back to hotel. If you have people traveling with you - would be easy for them to walk over to 59th street bridge/ 1st Ave... which is always a great place to watch the action (around mile 18). Then catch you coming toward finish. What I would do.
Quote Reply
Re: Best area to stay for the NYC marathon [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If trying to save a little bit of money the holiday inn in Secaucus NJ has shuttle service to the race it's right by the Lincoln tunnel would be like a 5 minute ride but the hotel would be probably lees than half of a nyc one.
Quote Reply
Re: Best area to stay for the NYC marathon [Looks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we always stay in lower manhattan.....ritz carlton battery park is actually quite affordable! the ferry ride to staten island is very relaxing and after the race, you just walk a couple of blocks away from central park and take the subway. lots of great restaurants in lower manhattan and not so crazy as mid-town. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I did NYC again, I would stay as close to Central Park as possible. It is after the race where things get bad. We stayed at Omni near Madison Ave and 52nd Street and getting out of park was nightmare walk and then once out of park a logistics nightmare with closed roads, etc. (I had no baggage too). No way I could have walked all the way back to the hotel as was sore and exhausted and not thinking real clearly. No cabs available. But you should look for the pedi-cabs. Saved me that day even though put life in hands of 18 year old Korean kid darting in and out of traffic. Watch the price though, get fixed amount up front. should be around 40.
Quote Reply
Re: Best area to stay for the NYC marathon [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Near the Central Park would be my preference too.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Best area to stay for the NYC marathon [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. Just booked, so now all i have to do is train.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed just south of columbus circle last yr and was really happy w location. We ended up walking back to hotel bc by the time we got out of dead zone... we only had 2 blocks. Enjoy it!!!
In Reply To:

Linking TriBloggers! http://www.listoftriathlonblogs.com
Full time working mother trying to find time for triathlons, marathons and golf. http://www.nicolekesten.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The perfect - no hassle - place to stay is the Library Hotel (299 Madison Ave, New York, NY 1001) One block from the bus station which is to easiest way to get to the start. In 2012 we stayed near the finish but in retrospect (if the race happened) that morning would have included a cab ride to the ferry - then the much longer ferry ride...no thanks.
Quote Reply