Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Running area in NEW ORLEANS??........?
Quote | Reply
I am traveling to New Orleans in the near future and I am trying to figure out a good running route in the Garden District / Downtown area of the city to do some good SAFE and scenic running. I need to get in a couple short runs and a couple longer runs (8-10 miles) while I'm there. Let me know, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Running area in NEW ORLEANS??........? [Fuquani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was down there in 2011, I left my hotel and ran along the trolley tracks on St. Charles Street. The western part of my run was along the river. I highly recommend running on the trolley tracks, along the river or in Audubon Park.

Here's my Strava run from that day: http://app.strava.com/activities/11735763

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the trolley tracks on St. Charles. You can do an out and back from downtown to the park and back. It's a cool run and there will tons of other people out there running. The key is to run on the dirt "path" in the tracks and not on the actual road. Just do what other people do and be sure not to get run over by the trolley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on the St. Charles streetcar route and also Audubon Park.

If you're up very early, I recommend zig-zagging through the French Quarter. I started at 7 am on a weekday, and all the drunks were gone but no morning traffic yet. The only thing to watch out for was the street cleaners powerwashing the vomit off the streets.

https://www.strava.com/activities/95515094

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go uptown from the garden district via magazine or the grass median on at charles and run around Audubon park.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Best Running area in NEW ORLEANS??........? [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
When I was down there in 2011, I left my hotel and ran along the trolley tracks on St. Charles Street. The western part of my run was along the river. I highly recommend running on the trolley tracks, along the river or in Audubon Park.

Here's my Strava run from that day: http://app.strava.com/activities/11735763

There ain't no such thing as a trolley in new Orelans (pronounced nuhwahlins)

But I agree with you in principal on route choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can easily get 8-10+ by linking together the French Quarter and Audubon Park (across from Tulane/Loyola) via St. Charles and Camp (by WWII museum). Nice run, safe, and pretty amazing homes off roads like Jackson if you are into that sort of thing. Just avoid the mid-run shrimp poboys and hurricanes until at least mile 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, run "up" St. Charles Ave. on the streetcar tracks toward Audubon Park, then around the park, across Magazine Street on the other side and behind the zoo out to the river in the area called the Fly (or Butterfly for older people), then back to the park and back "down" to your hotel. You can also add a few miles from the Fly on the river levee to get back to St. Charles, instead of going straight back into the park.

I also agree that a morning run in the French Quarter can be great, but that's the opposite direction of going to the park. Do one of each.

Don't ever try to figure N.O. out with "run east/west/south" etc. Everything slowly turns with the river, and you'll end up lost. I live here and don't know which way east is, except if I go east I will end up on the west bank.

There are evening run group runs in your area from Varsity Sports on Magazine St., and a more lively group at Louisiana Running Company on Canal St., a bit farther from you, and an even more lively group downtown at Happy's Pub on Weds. evenings.

"Say 'trolley' again."
-Samuel L. Jackson

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Best Running area in NEW ORLEANS??........? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
Yes, run "up" St. Charles Ave. on the streetcar tracks toward Audubon Park, then around the park, across Magazine Street on the other side and behind the zoo out to the river in the area called the Fly (or Butterfly for older people), then back to the park and back "down" to your hotel. You can also add a few miles from the Fly on the river levee to get back to St. Charles, instead of going straight back into the park.

I also agree that a morning run in the French Quarter can be great, but that's the opposite direction of going to the park. Do one of each.

Don't ever try to figure N.O. out with "run east/west/south" etc. Everything slowly turns with the river, and you'll end up lost. I live here and don't know which way east is, except if I go east I will end up on the west bank.

There are evening run group runs in your area from Varsity Sports on Magazine St., and a more lively group at Louisiana Running Company on Canal St., a bit farther from you, and an even more lively group downtown at Happy's Pub on Weds. evenings.

"Say 'trolley' again."
-Samuel L. Jackson

+1 on everything said here

And stay closer to the river if you do a FQ run. Stick to roads between Bourbon & Decatur. Royal Street is nice scenery. The farther away you are from the river in the Quarter, the more dodgy it can get. Also, don't run up Canal St (too many intersections), but if you do, turn back around at N Rampart.
Quote Reply