Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete
Quote | Reply
If someone who's never done a triathlon before asked you for advice about getting into the sport, what would you tell them?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [CarrieJesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go find your wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CarrieJesse wrote:
If someone who's never done a triathlon before asked you for advice about getting into the sport, what would you tell them?

Pretty tough to answer to any degree of specificity, but a start would be 1) swim lessons 2) buy a bike and helmet 3) buy running shoes. 4) start training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CarrieJesse wrote:

Nick's got the best advice I've seen yet.

Don't worry about performance until it's time to worry about performance.

Consistency is key. If you can do 3 hard workouts a week or 5 medium workouts a week, take the 5 medium. The first couple of years of tri are about building your body's ability to handle constant fatigue.

Oh, and unless you're an ex-collegiate swimmer, prepare to be humbled in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just have fun. Remember lifes too short to have unnecessary drama. Also, look to find success in the process not the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1: Gather CHEAP necessary equipment. Running shoes, swim suit, commuter/road bike
Step 2: Pick a local sprint race, maybe a pool swim!
Step 3: Train, have fun with it. do your own thing or ask a more experienced friend for help.
Step 4: Do race! Have fun? Seem like something you still want to get into?
Step 5: Take the RED PILL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open water swims before the race!

Can't stress it enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [bornaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Go find your wallet.

This.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah... But if you were going to borrow/go with the basics for most equipment, but spend the money on one item, what would it be?
Last edited by: CarrieJesse: Mar 5, 14 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CarrieJesse wrote:

This is a pretty open question without a little more information but might depend on why you are considering getting into the sport and what are your goals, i.e., 1) to simply have fun and enjoy a sport with others who usually enjoy a healthy lifestyle, or 2) are you a sports enthusiast and looking for something to be very competitive at and excel at doing. If the answer is more geared towards "1", I'd suggest read all you can on this site and "beginner triathlete" website and don't worry about having all the latest and greatest equipment. If it more towards "2", I'd still read all you can on these two sites and tell you it's not an inexpensive sport by any means to achieve top levels, and be prepared to have a very deep commitment to a lifestyle of always eating properly and committing the time to a pretty rigorous training regiment.
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 5, 14 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't skimp on:
1) running shoes
2) comfortable, well-fitting tri clothing
3) solid bike fit, comfy saddle
4) comfortable (revised: least uncomfortable), well-fitting wetsuit if water temps are low in your area
5) good, durable tires

Go for basics for everything else--they're just 'luxury' items.

Don't forget to have fun.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try your first one to see what you think.. Then just be prepared for the addiction to start, super bikes, new shoes, every piece of trick gear you can get your hands on etc. But just have fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best piece of advice is to develope a really good advice filter.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other thing. Do not get involved in Slowtwitch threads. The potential for time wasting and drama is super high. Spend that time being productive or training. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be prepared to become this guy

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't afford to be competitive so just try to have fun.
An indoor trainer doesn't teach you to ride a bike outside
Figure out how to swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do NOT buy the Triathlete's Training Bible. Please, just don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Go find your wallet.
lol...this!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good advice thus far. What I do/would have done:

Running: Proper running shoes that fit you. Do research on the local shops that have salespeople that know that they are doing and how to fit.
Swimming: Be patient, work on form. Masters class certainly helps.
Biking: You don't need to immediately go out and get a P3 Ultegra, spend some time on that old steel road bike. When you eventually buy a bike, get a fit, a professional fit. Again, do research to find out who is a great bike fitter in your town. Just because they are FIST or RETUL, doesn't mean it will be a great fit.
Research: ST is perfect for research, sometime harsh, but good stuff. BT is a love-fest.
Races: As said before, have fun with Triathlon. My personal opinion is to not do 2 sprints and then sign up for an Ironman. Have fun with it.

Finally, it can be very expensive, so do a lot of research (see "Research" for more info) before you start laying $$ down for that P3, race wheels, new cockpit, wetsuit, transition bag, training shoes, racing shoes, race suit, helmet, training cycling shoes, racing cycling shoes, and ...

Good luck! Have Fun!

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
One other thing. Do not get involved in Slowtwitch threads. The potential for time wasting and drama is super high. Spend that time being productive or training. :)

Fallout from the "am I being unreasonable" thread :) ?

Spend money on a decent bike that fits you. Buy running shoes that are comfortable and reputable (preferably from a place that will let you run in them and return them for something else if you don't like them).

BUILD VOLUME GRADUALLY ... So many of us don't listen to this simple but true fact. Injuries suck. I had a list of them in my first year. Just because you can bike XXX miles doesn't mean that translates to going XX miles on a long run.

Make sure your training is fun. You will be happy at the end of your first race regardless of place. And if the training wasn't fun you just wasted a whole lot of time you'll never get back.

Good luck and work hard.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't do it. Once you've done your first triathlon you are addicted for life!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:

Fallout from the "am I being unreasonable" thread :) ?

Nah, that was only 3 pages long. ;)

I was actually thinking the guy who punched the mom in the finishers chute thread, or broke up with my boyfriend / T3 girl who cut the course thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding a good local triathlon club is a great way to start.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Best Piece of Advice for Beginner Triathlete [Jimmycool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply

Prev Next