Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Floor Standing Bike Pump?
Quote | Reply
In the market for a new pump, not in the market to spend $450 on the Silca.

Online reviews seem to vary so wildly there doesn't appear to be a standout. The Lezyne metal one ranges from terrible to amazing. The screw thread connections range from best thing ever to pain in the ass.

I use it on presta valve only, removable core and I have a disc (plus a Zipp Crack Pipe). Also, my wife is super light and sometimes struggles to inflate tires. Pump needs to require relatively little force.

I was looking at the JoeBlow Pro. Any recommendations for that or another?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: Jaymz: Aug 20, 14 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Air Tool Pro is a fantastic pump. For regular presta valves, its the best I've used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty picky about pumps and have really liked the Bontrager TurboHP, after picking one up on the road at a random shop:
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11843

gauge is at the top so easy to see
pump head has a little button on it to let air out so you can fine tune the psi
and the pump head has gripped everything really well so far.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the top of line Giant...can't remember model but just over $100. Substantial but not too heavy. Unlike my previous Joe Blow I can pump with one arm

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on some ST recommendations, I got a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It is by far the best floor pump I have ever used. Very happy with it.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased this pump a few weeks ago and overall agree it's very nice. My only complaint is the placement of the button to release air. It's too easy to push when simply removing the head from the valve. Other than that, I've really liked it for the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Jack, I like my Turbocharger HP. The head of the pump is metal rather than plastic, and seems to be more durable than the cheaper plastic ones. It's easy to pump, but it seems to take more pumps to get up to full pressure than some other pumps on the market.

I had a cheaper specialized air tool pump before. It took less pumps than the bontrager, but the head was cheaper and eventually started leaking as I was pumping. They sell replacement parts, but the LBS didn't have them in stock. I just bought the bontrager instead. The other day I used one of the really nice Air Tools (probably the Air Tool Pro) and it was outstanding. Very very nice. I wouldn't say it is worth twice the price of my bontrager, but it was nice indeed.

I'm not a fan of the lezyne thread connection. I've unscrewed it before and pulled my removable core out with it. It also doesn't work with the zipp extenders that screw on over a non-removable valve core, so that's a PITA. It's a really good looking pump and it feels nice as you use it, but the screw on head sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the current ($70) Silca Super Pista. The last pump you will need to buy. Not sure how it rates on the force part, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a rule of thumb if I can inflate with one hand then it should be fine.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just what are you doing with your suddenly free hand?

ETA: I use a Joe Blow, no complaints. I think I have the Sprint model, which I bought since it has a two sided head so I only need one pump for schrader or presta valves. I suppose I could pump one handed, haven't needed too though.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Aug 20, 14 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often pump with one hand. One hand to hold the chuck on the valve and the other to pump. It's a pretty hard push with one arm, but not a huge deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally really like this one:

http://www.sks-germany.com/...AIRKOMPRESSOR%2012.0

Huge gauge makes it easy to see and an idiot-proof head. Only gripe is that the little place to hold the head on the handle isn't the greatest. About $45.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Blow was the worst pump I've owned, had all kinds of problems with it.
Best is a Nashbar Blue, no longer available, but the Nashbar Orange gets good reviews.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I often pump with one hand. One hand to hold the chuck on the valve and the other to pump. It's a pretty hard push with one arm, but not a huge deal.

If you have a pump with a good chuck, you don't need to hold it on :)

The specialized and bontrager pumps just have one hole on the pump head, but they work with both types of valves.

I already put my vote in for the bontrager or specialized earlier, but the craftsman pump is pretty killer, especially if you have other tools that use the same battery. Just cut off the chuck that comes on it and replace it with a bontrager or specialized one (with some hose clambs and a barb). It has a digital readout and you can dial it in to the tenth of a PSI (if you are REALLY that anal). It's fast, easy, and your friends will worship you. http://www.sears.com/...lator/p-00911586000P
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah joe blow was our previous pump. The head stopped working great after a while, the rest of it was starting to feel pretty janky. It saw a lot of pumping though so it was reasonable...but not bombproof.

doug in co wrote:
Joe Blow was the worst pump I've owned, had all kinds of problems with it.
Best is a Nashbar Blue, no longer available, but the Nashbar Orange gets good reviews.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Blow - for one reason - the gauge is up in the top, instead of beside my feet. That way, I can actually see the gauge while I pump at 5 am in transition before races. Most of the other pumps I know, including the golden $450 Silca, have guages that are at the bottom. Never seem to understand why they put those gauges close to my big toes.

My Joe Blow is about three / four years old and it still pumps the same quality air like the first day. Head is original and the rubber gasket is now a bit worn out but still totally usable.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Aug 20, 14 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your question also relates to whether you have or going to have a disc wheel. Fitting a pump head into some of the disc wheel opening is or can be a pain. Years ago I had a Zefal double barrel floor pump that could put out 100psi in 10 or 11 strokes! This pump lasted around 10 years before it became useless and the company quit making this version. I have a Joe Blow floor pump which is a good bang for the buck but doesn't fit into my disc wheel opening. A Lezyne travel pump is used for my disc wheel--34/35 strokes to make 95 psi.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
Joe Blow - for one reason - the gauge is up in the top, instead of beside my feet. That way, I can actually see the gauge while I pump at 5 am in transition before races. Most of the other pumps I know, including the golden $450 Silca, have guages that are at the bottom. Never seem to understand why they put those gauges close to my big toes.

This is the exact reason I bought the Joe Blow Pro and love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Based on some ST recommendations, I got a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It is by far the best floor pump I have ever used. Very happy with it.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would probably be less of an issue if all my valve stems were non-threaded. Maybe time for a new $5 washer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy with my SKS Airbase pro with 1 exception. The gauge doesn't hold pressure, so while you can see at the bottom of the pump stroke what the pressure peaks at, it immediately begins to drop from there. Not sure if its a "feature" or what, but it irritates me.

http://www.amazon.com/...cm_cr_pr_product_top

Quote Reply
Re: Best Floor Standing Bike Pump? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
The Specialized Air Tool Pro is a fantastic pump. For regular presta valves, its the best I've used.

This. The Specialized pump is the best pump I have ever used or owned.
Quote Reply