Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was....
Quote | Reply
M50-54 (IMO). I am sure others will say F50-54 where the former Olympian gal ran a 3:08, but this one is compelling:

Bill McLeod (AGE 54)
S~1h10'
B~5h5'
R~3h26'
T~9h48'

Took first and won his AG by 27'
I am sure he looks forward to competing in Kona next year in the M55-59 category.
Flat out amazing performance for a 54 y/o

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:
M50-54 (IMO). I am sure others will say F50-54 where the former Olympian gal ran a 3:08, but this one is compelling:

Bill McLeod (AGE 54)
S~1h10'
B~5h5'
R~3h26'
T~9h48'

I am sure he looks forward to competing in Kona next year in the M55-59 category.

Yep, very studly.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colleen crushed it! Second fastest run of all women. 2nd woman age grouper overall. And what most dont know is that she was in a bad bike accident and when to the hospital back in August.
My vote is definitely for Colleen! (although somewhat biased as she is my neighbor).

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F25-29 winner went over an hour faster than 2AG. That's an impressive performance, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you've got to give it to Colleen (not taking anything away from Bill), but Colleen would have placed 2nd behind him in that same age group. 10:04 IM in your 1st attempt at the distance at 50yrs young...impressive to put it mildly, regardless of her pedigree.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in order to judge this as objectively as possible you can use age grading and gender handicapping to answer "who's performance was better"...

I have developed a credible age grading formula for triathlon.......

the 54 year old male's time age grades to a 8:50 using this formula

the 52 year old women's time age grades to a 9:13 using this formula

women typically are 10% slower than males in endurance sports including triathlon so if the 52 year old womens time is clearly superior to the guys time on a age graded basis/gender handicapping basis....
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was commenting on the "entire" performance, not just the run.

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
I think you've got to give it to Colleen (not taking anything away from Bill), but Colleen would have placed 2nd behind him in that same age group. 10:04 IM in your 1st attempt at the distance at 50yrs young...impressive to put it mildly, regardless of her pedigree.

As the 2nd 50-54 male, I agree. She flew past me at mile 16 and basically put another minute per mile into me thru the finish. Ouch! :-)

The 2nd 50-54 female would have been 3rd in the males, too.

Bill was simply in another zip code from the rest of us. We ended up having 4 Kona slots thanks to no finisher in M80-84.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really, Colleen was a professional runner her entire life, Nike sponsored, 4x Olympian, the full meal deal. its not like she got off the couch and was like hey, i think i'll try this ironman thing. pffft. she's got the best in the business helping her get ready (aren't her business partners Dave Scott and Simon Lessing). it kills me that people seem to be surprised by her performances.

I know nothing about this Bill dude, but sorry, nope, i'll take the girls and guys who work full-time corporate jobs with "real jobs" with masters or MBAs or MDs, who travel a lot or, have families, that manage to win their AG's over the former pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:

Bill McLeod (AGE 54)
S~1h10'
B~5h5'
R~3h26'
T~9h4

Not taking anything away from this, but I don't see anything super impressive about Bills race. It was a very well rounded and probably well executed.

I may be partial to Colleens performance because I know her, but she had it. She is coming off of a pretty bad crash on the bike recently and was barely able to swim a 100 a few years back.

Then there's alway Steve J. Who was in fact, the most impressive AG athlete yesterday. He did win after all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup
You are right
Nothing too impressive, at 54 years old he blew away next closest by almost half an hour...

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> Flat out amazing performance for a 54 y/o >>

I guess someone has to call you out and ask you to stop promulgating ageist crap.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST connection, he's an LA south bay local coached by pro and STer Ian Mikelson (mikelsonian) here
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what this means....good grief...just thought it was an exceptional performance

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
really, Colleen was a professional runner her entire life, Nike sponsored, 4x Olympian, the full meal deal. its not like she got off the couch and was like hey, i think i'll try this ironman thing. pffft. she's got the best in the business helping her get ready (aren't her business partners Dave Scott and Simon Lessing). it kills me that people seem to be surprised by her performances.

I know nothing about this Bill dude, but sorry, nope, i'll take the girls and guys who work full-time corporate jobs with "real jobs" with masters or MBAs or MDs, who travel a lot or, have families, that manage to win their AG's over the former pros.

I still have a long way to go, but I meet all the requirements other than beating former pros and being an MD. I told Kenny Glah I have a smackdown with him at 60-64. When were were 30-34, he'd beat me by 45 min in a half IM. On a good day, the gap is closed to 10 minutes. But hey, that is actually why I LOVE racing former pros. These guys are my heros and it is really an honor to be racing in the same race on the same day....and partially dream about being competitive. Actually in the last decade, I think my biggest sport achievement was 2013, when I flew 120,000 miles, and spent 26 weeks on the road on business travel and got lucky on a KQ and finished sub 11. But at the same time, Kenny probably flies just as much with his own business so the playing field is level (er). Now in fairness my son is a freshman in college...if work would not get in the way so much I could train and recover like a pro.

OK, gotta pack up and get ready to haul my ass down NOLA for business meetings tomorrow thru Thu. You know the gig Sto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy who was 2nd in his AG and got a slot, or another friend who PR'd by 37min, or another friend who finished his first IM in sub-13 hours or the woman who finished just before midnight :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly biased, but one of my athletes, Natalie Grabow...69 years old. Won her AG by 55 minutes, was in the top 50% of all women finishers and in the top 2/3 of all finishers...I also believe was the oldest woman to finish the race - and in just over 14 hours. That's pretty damn solid. Will be competing for a world championship in Kona next October.

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Nov 19, 14 23:28
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's truly impressive!

I don't get the anti ex pro or ex oly people (not directed at you DHT). They wake up and put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest if us. Cudos to them for spending a big slab of their life training their guts out - oh hang on, just like many non ex pros and Olympians. Don't bitch about the genetic cards dealt out. They have just as much right to compete and do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dwight Lundell from Arizona, 70 years old. Finished in 12:32 and won his age group by over 4 hours.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Steve! So happy to have you as my coach and a big thank you for the great workouts all year that allowed me to achieve my goal. Loved reading your race report, and again, congrats on your awesome race.
Natalie

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Best Age Group Performance at IMAZ was.... [ngrabow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done, Natalie.
Quote Reply