Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [jacobpeacock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P4

jacobpeacock wrote:
Best 2000usd tri bike suggestions

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThatÂ’s 6000usd:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a used P4? $2k

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to the Felt B series at that price point.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jacobpeacock wrote:
Felt B14

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New or used? If new, it is tough to beat the Felt B14 or Giant Trinity Advanced. I like the build of the B14. Some folks have found old stock IA16s for $2K, which is a stellar deal. If used, then the sky is the limit-- you could find an amazing bike, or nothing, depending on your local market and willingness to risk a used bike purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new one.is the merida warp 3000 good? Or the cannondale slice 105?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of Merida bikes, so I do not know. The Slice is a great price point, but I think it may lag the Giant Trinity and Felt in aero performance and build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New? I donÂ’t know if itÂ’s the best, but I would but the entry level Shiv on your list. I see them at bike shops for $1850. They come with the Sitero seat, which you can sell if it doesnÂ’t work for you.

But honestly, at $2K, I would buy used. I think you need to up your budget to around $3K for a nice, new tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
jacobpeacock wrote:
Felt B14
2nd that, full carbon frame/fork and ultegra derailleurs
http://www.feltbicycles.com/...series/B14-2018.aspx.
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
trentnix wrote:
jacobpeacock wrote:
Felt B14

2nd that, full carbon frame/fork and ultegra derailleurs
http://www.feltbicycles.com/...series/B14-2018.aspx.

x3, that's what I bought in 2015, still running strong and still under $2K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest something used. You can get a really used tri bike for $2000. At that price point, you will have to think about what are your trade-offs. I would suggest ranking the following in whatever order you feel is most important and then focusing on the top 2 or 3:

1. brand of the frame
2. quality of the components
3. electronic shifting
4. includes aero wheels or no
5. age of the frame/components

If I were you, I would buy a used tri bike for between $1000 and $1500 and then put an Alpha X bar/stem on it and some used or Chinese aero wheels. It will be as fast as a new $5K bike for about $2K to $2.5K. I

FYI, there are 54 used tri bikes on eBay for between $1200 and $2400 and there are plenty in the ST classifieds including one I am selling, which is an older Cannondale with 10 speed SRAM red for $1199 OBO, which gives you a lot of room to do upgrades and personalize where your bike.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt B16, Cannondale Slice 105, QR Kilo

can't go wrong with either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merida are huge, especially in Asia but they sell plenty bikes in the West too. I think they are one of the biggest bike manufacturers in the world.

They're road bikes are good. I'm less familiar with the Warp.
They've been ridden by professional riders at the top level for years - They sponsor the Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team and before that the Lampre Merida Pro Team. I think Vincenzo Nibali rode a Merida Scultura in most events for 2017 and presumably the Warp in TTs.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 27, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have thoughts on the Specialized Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [Kayteedyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are a little (or a lot) above the $2K target, depending on how you compare and what is available. Specialized's Shiv Sport, built with 10-speed Tiagra, is $2,200 MSRP. I would not get that when cheaper 105 and Ultegra options are out there on other bikes. The Shiv Elite with 105 is priced at $3K MSRP.

Edit: Never mind... The Shiv at near $2K is an incredible value for a bike with its integration and aerodynamics. Find one on sale, and then upgrade the Tiagra when you wear it out (or you get bored with it).
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 30, 17 9:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSRP is $2,220 but I see them for $1,850 at my LBS. But, as you point out, that's the 10 speed Tiagra model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Trinity Advanced 0. Hard to beat the value considering the integrated storage. It's also one of the fastest frames I've ridden.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
What size do you need?
Or in local parlance, what Pad X/Y do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a large. 6’3”.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is easy:

Giant Trinity Advanced: I own this one and got the Advanced Pro 2 for $2200. Fantastic bike.

Cannondale Slice Ultegra: You can get it new for $1800

Specilized Shiv: Great bike frame and still under budget

Do not worry about electric shifting or carbon wheels at this point. Get your bike and ride the heck out of it...then worry about the free speed once marginal gains matter and your have plateaued on your wattage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
They are a little (or a lot) above the $2K target, depending on how you compare and what is available. Specialized's Shiv Sport, built with 10-speed Tiagra, is $2,200 MSRP. I would not get that when cheaper 105 and Ultegra options are out there on other bikes. The Shiv Elite with 105 is priced at $3K MSRP.

But the Shiv is probably the most aero frame in the $2k price range. I personally think that's worth the trade-off of having 1 fewer cogs out back. Easier to upgrade the drivetrain later than to upgrade frames. If I were buying a new budget tri bike today, the Shiv Sport would be 1st on my shopping list. You can build it into a complete "super-bike lite" (wheel, front brake, & cockpit upgrades) for well less than the cost of a bare Shiv S-Works Module.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Best 2000usd tri bike [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The Shiv is probably the most aero frame in the $2k price range... If I were buying a new budget tri bike today, the Shiv Sport would be 1st on my shopping list.
Good points, I agree. I redact my above Shiv comments... I would find a Shiv Sport on sale, race that until the parts wear out (or fall out of favor), and then upgrade the parts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next