Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bell Javelin Buckle
Quote | Reply
So during Texas 70.3 the plastic buckle that holds the chin strap in place fell off. All I could do was tie the strap in a knot. Anyways...I called Bell and instead of sending me a 5 cent buckle, they are going to send me a brand new helmet. No questions asked. They did ask that I throw the old helmet away because it is now unsafe. Just thought this was kind of strange.

$200 helmet instead of a 5 cent buckle. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Javelin Buckle [TexanTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick one of these up & now you have two functional (and presumably safe) helmets

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Side+Release+Buckle
Last edited by: Meathead: Apr 16, 14 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost to Bell isn't $200, in fact you can find this helmet all day long now for $80 online. Another way to look at it is if they send you this 5 cent strap and you install it wrong, what type of liability has Bell then opened themselves up to? I'd mark this up to nothing more than a company standing behind their product and good customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Javelin Buckle [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
Cost to Bell isn't $200, in fact you can find this helmet all day long now for $80 online. Another way to look at it is if they send you this 5 cent strap and you install it wrong, what type of liability has Bell then opened themselves up to? I'd mark this up to nothing more than a company standing behind their product and good customer service.

Truth in here but it's still ridiculous as mentioned. It always shows where this simple stupidity leads to.
The helmet could have been sent in and being repaired by them and all would be safe too. And abundance reduced.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Apr 17, 14 1:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which side?

If the right side fell off it's silly for them to not send you a new piece. If it was the left side it makes complete sense.

One side is simply threaded through the buckle and doubles back on itself. The other side is stitched into place. If you lost the adjustable side and they sent you a new helmet then consider yourself lucky, I guess...

As others have mentioned, the helmet does not cost them $200. It's routinely available on the internet now for $79 and their cost is likely closer to 50 or 60% of that.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Bell Javelin Buckle [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the side that's EASY to replace
Quote Reply