Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Behind the saddle one bottle solution..
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have a two bottle cage system behind my saddle. This system allows me to screw in two cartridges as well. I strap my spair tube in a small bag underneath.

I have found that I fairly use the double and am just not loving the set up.

I would love a one cage behind the saddle suggestion.

What do you all like? do you have a small bag that you strap to it underneath?
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the saddle one bottle solution.. [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the saddle one bottle solution.. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adamo Racing II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about this from Profile as it seems with that saddle you have a longer distance to reach back.

But this from Xlabs seems like it is the best option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip ties work just fine. My saddle is almost all the way slammed forward so no room on the rails, so I actually drilled two holes at the very back of the saddle itself to run zip ties through it.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...couple more....
Speedfil R3

Minoura SBH-80

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great company, great saddle.. one bottle. expensive as all heck but is the only seat that has worked for me for long distance TTing.

http://www.dashcycles.com/saddlesr/tt9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyweissphoto wrote:
Adamo Racing II

for my Adamo, zip ties actually worked better than any 3rd party mount, and seemed more secure.
For integrated bottle mounts, Specialized Sitero works great (I'm selling mine if you're interested, just dm me). It has oversized oval rails which don't fit on my new bike's clamp. I've gone with the Dash TT9 now which also has a single bottle mount- seems great so far but I've hardly had a chance to use it. But honestly if you like your Adamo, just zip tie a cage using 4 zip ties.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this for racing or training? I had the profile design option and it is fine for training. But the cheap sport-top water bottle handups at races do not fit well in there. It is really tough to get one of those bottles jammed back in after you have consumed some of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delta Sonic & X-Strike

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess we also need to know what bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a DIY setup that Jesse Thomas used at Wildflower last year, I think he still uses a similar setup. Popular ST zip-tie method with room for atleast a PitStop. I like the rubber band used to keep the bottle in place:

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/05/06/pro-diy-bike-modifications-jesse-thomas-specialized-shiv

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip ties. Light and cheap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This question seems to come up very regularly. I suppose if you don't need to remove your cage very often (or at all), the zip tie solution is sufficient. I've never liked it because I like being able to swap out a one-bottle holder for a two-bottle holder. This is fairly easily achieved with the Tacx unit (which holds one or two cages). Depending on your saddle/seatpost arrangement, it may require a bit of patience with a Dremel tool to get a custom fit, as it did with my Fizik Arione 2/P2 seatpost. I bought two units (they're cheap), which allows me to switch quickly between a one- or two- bottle setup without relying on (and continuously replacing) zip ties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you could wait a couple months we are actually coming out with a new alloy single carrier (very solid & sturdy mount) as well as an aerodynamic storage bag. Aerogeeks talks about the 2 products on their site. The carrier is the Delta 400 and the bag will be called the Aero Pouch 300.

If you wanted an immediate solution the Delta 225 and a mini bag strapped to the bottom of it would work or an X-Strike to carry a couple CO2s.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the saddle one bottle solution.. [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top marks for the Aero pouch, clever use of space.
Quote Reply
Re: Behind the saddle one bottle solution.. [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks sharkbait_au! Appreciate the kind remark. Looking forward to getting it out to everyone very shortly :)

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
If you could wait a couple months we are actually coming out with a new alloy single carrier (very solid & sturdy mount) as well as an aerodynamic storage bag. Aerogeeks talks about the 2 products on their site. The carrier is the Delta 400 and the bag will be called the Aero Pouch 300.

If you wanted an immediate solution the Delta 225 and a mini bag strapped to the bottom of it would work or an X-Strike to carry a couple CO2s.

Will that bag be large enough to hold an inner tube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip ties are great. Make sure your cage is tight or you'll launch that bottle every time.

I also like the Delta series from XLAB. I raced the Delta 300 on my P3 for a while and it was great - much less fuss to set up than my previous zip tie solution (though not quite as tucked away either).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! It looks small, but here is a couple of pictures of the clincher setup. 2 tubes, 2 CO2s, an inflator, 2 tire levers and a tool kit.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. Nice product. I may have to replace my ghetto fabulous home made solution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to barge in here.......

Hi Candice I am using one of the Delta Xlab mounts on my road bike so that I can add a third bottle for long self-sustained routes. On these adventures I am not as concerned with aero qualities as I am getting from point A to point B with no opportunities to refill. For the moment I have replaced the typical seat bag with the smaller Xlab pods until I can figure out how to get another small seat bag attached, but I need to free up the cage for the third bottle. You mention using a mini bag strapped to the bottom. I have the Xlab mini on my TT bike and have tried to attach it, but could not get it to work out. I may not be creative enough for your idea. Any suggestion or links to pictures would be helpful. Thanks

The bag or the pod contains a mini tool, tire tools, 2 CO2 and tube. So not a lot of space needed. I can get the Xstrike for the CO2s to free up some space as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerodynamically, the key is getting the bottle right up against the back of the saddle. This almost always provides a significant savings in drag (5-10 watts). The moment the cage/bottle moves away from the saddle, and I'm not talking a large distance here, a significant increase in drag is created (5-10 watts). Therefore, best practice is to not use a mount, but to strap it on with zip ties.

We'll be testing strapping bottles at different angles very soon and plan to make the data public.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipties are your friend.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Behind the saddle one bottle solution.. [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you experience any damage to your Cervélo seat post with the strike?

I saw a thread where one seemed to have been significantly damaged. There were a lot of pics, and the way the bolt is tightened down just didn't look great. I did see a Strike at the expo of the event i did last weekend and am reconsidering it as a neat solution… I saw the guy with the damaged post used another saddle clamp in place of the bolt/washer setup. That looked good, but in general the Strike looks to be a lot of money for something that is very basic. If it came with a better method to clamp the mount in the seat post, it would be an easy decision.

I do like the setup you have.
Quote Reply

Prev Next