Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Becoming a "professional" exerciser
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitchers,

I wrote a quick blog on my decision to become a professional exerciser. Last year I raced for Team EMJ, and was one of the younger dudes on the team (22). You can read about it here. If you want to listen to a podcast about it (for those of you who are illiterate) click here.

Cheers!

Ernie
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Things_to_know_about_this_forum_P1250878/?page=unread#unread

Check out the "Fifth and a half" rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you know he's not promoting a discussion about racing professionally as a conversation context? or the value inherent in age group teams?
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
how do you know he's not promoting a discussion about racing professionally as a conversation context? or the value inherent in age group teams?

Thanks James :)
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the first rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck, Ern! I also apparently need to rethink my pop-tart strategy.

ETA: I'll never forget those pop tarts we shared...(insert crying emoji)
Last edited by: GLindy: Nov 3, 17 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg, i'm sure i'll see you plenty still ;) also great job at Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $.02 is this is a great post and very appropriate for this board. I'm not Slowman, so it doesn't matter, but I love it when pros of any level come on here.

While the Titans of Industry crowd would rather you grind it out now so you can afford really nice bikes at age 45, I think this line was especially perceptive: "it's not right to race as an amateur when you're just training as your main focus in life". Makes sense to me.

Never heard of you before today, but more and more I'm impressed by you EMJ dudes. Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to checking out The Grind.

For those of us not in the know, what are your relative strengths? Any sense on what courses suit you best?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d bet if you edit your OP to add something along the lines of happy to discuss training , nutrition, excetra you’ll get a good discussion going. Your post seems a little against slowmans rules although I don’t think your goal here is just to drive traffic to your blog.

What was the cancer scare? Tied to the leg injury.

Good luck with the pro excercising.

*the link for the illiterate was a nice touch.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you continue to be a Cat 5 local time trialling hero?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hold a lot of respect for anyone with EMJ, so first, congrats on being good enough to make it in! I read the blog and TBH, I didn't really get what you were trying to share. I would love to know more about being a pro exerciser - as in, what's a typically day / training week look like for someone of your speed? At your age, are you still in school? Working? Or totally focused on tri? What's it like being on EMJ? Do you guys train together (I know it's spread over the country.... but do you have like local teams too that train, or is it solo, or what?) Please share more :-P!

david.
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
My $.02 is this is a great post and very appropriate for this board. I'm not Slowman, so it doesn't matter, but I love it when pros of any level come on here.

While the Titans of Industry crowd would rather you grind it out now so you can afford really nice bikes at age 45, I think this line was especially perceptive: "it's not right to race as an amateur when you're just training as your main focus in life". Makes sense to me.

Never heard of you before today, but more and more I'm impressed by you EMJ dudes. Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to checking out The Grind.

For those of us not in the know, what are your relative strengths? Any sense on what courses suit you best?

Thanks man, Yeah i suppose i wasn't even aware of the rules before I got on here and made the post haha. But I would love to answer some peoples questions on what I've done in the past. I'm not actually that amazing at excise. I would say that being a smaller guy I'm fairly adaptable in terms of courses. I've raced well on both flat and hilly at some points but I've also raced bad on both of them before.

Something with a little bit of everything is probably my favorite - like CDA where the first half is flat(ish) and the second half can get pretty hilly. Then a very flat run. Only done a few ocean swims but i love them other than the salt water. Thanks for following along, and feel free to hit me with any random questions that we can discuss on our newbie pro podcast!!
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I’d bet if you edit your OP to add something along the lines of happy to discuss training , nutrition, excetra you’ll get a good discussion going. Your post seems a little against slowmans rules although I don’t think your goal here is just to drive traffic to your blog.

What was the cancer scare? Tied to the leg injury.

Good luck with the pro excercising.

*the link for the illiterate was a nice touch.

Cancer scare was bone cancer. Apparently the callus on my femur looked a little sketchy. They wanted to wait a month and for me to get another MRI before deciding what to do. When you have nothing to do but sit on the couch it can be a bit scary. Thankfully done.

I realized this wasn't completely OK after the first reply but I'd happily discuss training and what not to eat. You learn a lot from sitting and watching for a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
I hold a lot of respect for anyone with EMJ, so first, congrats on being good enough to make it in! I read the blog and TBH, I didn't really get what you were trying to share. I would love to know more about being a pro exerciser - as in, what's a typically day / training week look like for someone of your speed? At your age, are you still in school? Working? Or totally focused on tri? What's it like being on EMJ? Do you guys train together (I know it's spread over the country.... but do you have like local teams too that train, or is it solo, or what?) Please share more :-P!

david.

Both my brother Steve and I raced on EMJ. He turned pro in 2016 after Kona at 23. I'm 22 right now. Basically most of the people who read my blog (until now) have some background on me. I went to ASU in the fall of 2013, studied supply chain, and played a lot of sports my freshman year. After I watched him get 3rd at collegiate nationals in Tempe in 2014, I decided that I wanted to be good at exercising too. I have no background in any of the sports, but was really competitive at hockey growing up (we're from MN) so decided to switch my focus.

The first year I was pretty bad, but managed to get some solid results. I did all the collegiate club races and had a ton of fun. I also played a pretty decent part in growing ASU's club team to what it is right now (50 people, no longer on probation, and a lot of fun). After a summer in Bend Oregon interning for Picky Bars I realized that if I kept progessing at the current rate I was then I'd be able to exercise professionally.

I managed to get pretty good by the time I was a senior, and graduated early in December because I had enough credits and hated school. I kept working part time as a tutor for the athletic department (ironic. I know.) and was able to do the collegiate races in the spring, including nationals, because I was a full time student that fall. A little bit unfair, but I was working a lot at a running store/tutoring so did it to represent ASU because I love the team. Ended up 4th there, but 3rd after Dan had a BS penalty and he was bumped down to 5th place.

Then I got a stress fracture in my Femur in June, which threw my whole summer/70.3 worlds quest off the rails. OK so that's background haha.

Basically, EMJ has a giant training camp in Februrary where most of the team goes to Vegas and does a lot of exercising. Talbot Cox came down and did an amazing job taking pictures and making videos for it. Everything was literally amazing. I don't know how it could get any better to be honest. They do an unreal job taking care of us and there is no other way to put it. There is a big group of dudes in the bay area who train together and another decent size group who do so as well, but other than Vegas, this is the only time the team gets to see everyone together. Chattanooga worlds was another great time for everyone to unite. Unfortunately, EMJ doesn't have "pros" on the team.

I work part time at a running/tri store as well as a cycling studio, and train as much as possible. Training takes priority for me, so I get to essentially hand pick the 2-3 days I work, and then train full time the rest of the other days. Right now, I'm living in Fort Collins, Colorado. It's like Boulder with less traffic and no homeless people, but still cheaper because it's not Boulder. My roommate is the manager for the Tri side of our store, and he gives me a great deal on rent to help out.

For training, there are a ton of great cyclists here in town including Chad Haga (who has no idea who I am) Gavin Mannion (Also no idea) and Zack Allison (actually knows me haha). There is a great masters swim group, albeit expensive so I can't afford it. And there are tons of CSU kids who love to run. If you read the blog, you'll know I'm pretty "in" with their team. I ride with them a few times a week, hang out, have sold my old bikes to them, and the freshman love using their guest swipes on me probably because I look (and am) really hungry 75% of the time.

Details of training for me are interesting. Swimming is the main focus right now. At the high level, making a pack and being efficient are the most important parts. I work quite a bit on high end speed, and once a week have a sprint workout. This means efforts from 50-100 all out on an interval with tons of rest. Then some days are "strong" workouts, with efforts faster than 1k effort, and other days are aerobic. I swim 5x a week, totally to around 22k in volume.

Mostly easy riding, but occasionally I get to crush some hills. It's hard to have an easy ride around here in Fort Collins, and I do ~8-12 hours a week right now. During January, February, and March that'll probably progress to 12-16 hours. But we'll see. Only my coach knows what's going to happen lol. I mix it up between bikes and routes and love riding in the cold weather up here.

Running is also interesting because of the stress fracture. It's progressed to walk-runs where I do 2 minutes on, 1 minute walk. Pretty easy, not winning races, and making sure my leg doesn't feel like it's going to fall off again.

I also do a bunch of yoga - about 3x a week, and some strength exercises like lunges, side lunges, single leg squats, step ups, among others. I hope this answers your questions, sorry for writing a book :)
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Will you continue to be a Cat 5 local time trialling hero?

Of course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personally, I applaud you for taking your pro card. I took mine at age 42. Nothing more obnoxious than amateur athletes winning by a country mile again and again just to fill their instagram feeds.

Good luck and enjoy all the "free" racing you can handle.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's super insightful! Thanks!

So you have a pro card now - do you have any regrets in hindsight in getting that? Like, do you wish you could race as anAG instead sometimes?
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, as I won't have actually raced pro until 2018 haha. So ask me in a year from now ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
personally, I applaud you for taking your pro card. I took mine at age 42. Nothing more obnoxious than amateur athletes winning by a country mile again and again just to fill their instagram feeds.

Conversely, I regret taking mine. I think it was sort of silly. Also, I would beat all the amateurs at races (if I had a good race), under stricter wetsuit and draft rules (i.e. stagger), and not re qualify. Did you ever requalify? I don't see how you would have.

ETA: I meant ''don't see how you would have'' more along the lines of you don't race very much since then...

Ernie is very good. So I'm not questioning his decision...but the system as it stands now is pretty broken. It's too easy to qualify.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 4, 17 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Conversely, I regret taking mine. I think it was sort of silly. Also, I would beat all the amateurs at races (if I had a good race), under stricter wetsuit and draft rules (i.e. stagger), and not re qualify. Did you ever requalify? I don't see how you would have.

Ernie is very good. So I'm not questioning his decision...but the system as it stands now is pretty broken. It's too easy to qualify.

No, in hindsight I regret it too, but it was a good forced time out that I needed. I never requalified and doubt I was ever able to do so, even on a perfect day. I agree with you that the system is broken, but there should be some sort of competitive outlet for B- pros like me and B+ pros like you. A men's open or something.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think another problem is that the amateur prize money offerings have disappeared, and this has resulted in a much weaker elite amateur category. In 2009 I won 7k in prize money as an amateur. These purses resulted in very competitive races in the Midwest. I went 1:54 in a amateur Olympic triathlon with real distances and took 3rd! Races in the Midwest are simply not as fast as they used to be. Now when people break two hours in an oly they Start thinking about going pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
I think another problem is that the amateur prize money offerings have disappeared, and this has resulted in a much weaker elite amateur category. In 2009 I won 7k in prize money as an amateur. These purses resulted in very competitive races in the Midwest. I went 1:54 in a amateur Olympic triathlon with real distances and took 3rd! Races in the Midwest are simply not as fast as they used to be. Now when people break two hours in an oly they Start thinking about going pro.

yes, this is a symptom of everyone going long course I think... now if they could just make a category in long course that is above completitor and below elite professional that would be nice

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doooood! Professional exercising sounds like tons of fun. I've thought about it too, but it just doesn't seem to make sense for me right now. Gotta finish my degree and get that PhD before I do anything else!

I think the biggest thing for me is the financial stability (or lack thereof) of being a professional exerciser. Is working 2-3 days going to make it possible for you to afford all the pop-tarts...errr...real food you need to sustain the training and afford rent/gas/coaching/hookers and blow? Just kidding (about the rent :P)

I've also tried putting in 20-hour training weeks and I feel like it's wake up, train, eat, train, eat, sleep. Not much else you can do the rest of the day! Although, I guess if your job is wearing spandex and traveling at high rates of speed, there's not much else you need to do!

Gonna miss you at team camp, but hopefully, we'll still see you around!
Quote Reply
Re: Becoming a "professional" exerciser [toddbuckone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddbuckone wrote:
Doooood! Professional exercising sounds like tons of fun. I've thought about it too, but it just doesn't seem to make sense for me right now. Gotta finish my degree and get that PhD before I do anything else!

I think the biggest thing for me is the financial stability (or lack thereof) of being a professional exerciser. Is working 2-3 days going to make it possible for you to afford all the pop-tarts...errr...real food you need to sustain the training and afford rent/gas/coaching/hookers and blow? Just kidding (about the rent :P)

I've also tried putting in 20-hour training weeks and I feel like it's wake up, train, eat, train, eat, sleep. Not much else you can do the rest of the day! Although, I guess if your job is wearing spandex and traveling at high rates of speed, there's not much else you need to do!

Gonna miss you at team camp, but hopefully, we'll still see you around!

How disorganized are you guys? 20 hours a week is nothing. That leaves 148 hours per week to sleep, commute, go to work, do family stuff etc....seriously it is dead easy....3 days per week wake up early, ride to the pool, swim 1 hour, ride to work, run 45 min at lunch, ride home. So that is 3x per week 3 hour of training. Other 2 days, get up, do a bit of a detour riding to work, run 45 min at lunch, ride home....those days are 2.5 hours. You're already at 14 hours before the weekend starts....one day 4 hour hard ride, one day 2 hour easy run. Now you're at 20 hours. It's really not that difficult if you're organized, Or make one of those weekdays an off day, and add an hour swim to one weekend day and and an additional hour of riding into the week. Totally doable until the cows come home 50 weeks per year for single guys.

Maybe you are tired if you are not sleeping 56-60 hours. Totally doable on a 20 hour training week for single people....20 hours of training plus 60 hours of sleeping still leaves 88 hours in the week for everything else. That's 12 hours per day to work and commute and do other stuff. If you have some clingy partner getting in the way of that get rid of the partner asap.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 4, 17 20:37
Quote Reply