Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bastard stole my wetsuit...
Quote | Reply
Well, just did Buckeye Lake Tri (Olympic distance near Columbus, OH) and my BRAND NEW (first race) Orca P-flex wetsuit was swiped. And no, I don't think it was a case of "mistaken identity" based on several factors.

I am quite pissed and HOPE it is a case of mistaken identity. I'll be forwarding the serial number (on the inside print of the suit) to e-bay, HFP racing, here, Gordo's, etc. If you come across a size 6.5 cheap, let me know ;( Bad Karma is coming this persons way. And I am USUALLY very trusting of fellow triathletes. This was not even a very large race (about 200 people).

Serial # WP3BFN6.5
Orca PFlex Fullsleeve

Nice retail at $500 ...

Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that is bullshit. I wonder how often that happens at HFP races as security seems to be kind of an issue there. I think you run a risk everytime that you have a shorter distance and a longer distance at the same time.

On a side note, It looked like 3 races in the Columbus area on the same day had an impact on registration for all of the races. I rode my bike from my house out 256 to watch you guys and I was surprised by how few racers there were. Lots of them asked me if I was OK though, they must have thought my bike broke or something. Hope you had a good race besides the thievery.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH, was that you on the corner! Yeah, I asked as well - didn't look like you were fixing a flat and you looked like a racer :) There was some nasty gravel on the corner too so sorry if I didn't pay more attention!

Quote | Reply
Bad, bad, form. Sorry to hear about that. I suppose the tag is removable...

Brother, it might be time to get insurance riders on all our gear.

Hang in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the moral support - actually, no, the tag is not removeable. It is printed on the inside (I assume for this reason). The only reason I have the serial number still is because it is only a few days old and I wanted to make sure it fit well (which it did) so I have the tag! I have done about 20 HFP races without a hitch and maybe 30 tris total - never an issue. It just figures when I finally get a new wetsuit - never even thought about insuring it (although it would cost the same as my deductible to replace). I am taking photos of my extra wheels, bikes, etc. as I type ...

Quote | Reply
Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Etc.

I've only had a few things stolen in my life, and I remember every one. I hope he tries to sell it on ebay and gets caught. That would be way cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that you on the Guru? You were looking fast.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not very accepting of a question regarding transition area security and the race organizer as a factor in the theft. unfair connection to HFP.

there is only so much anyone can do to prevent a properly termed "bastard" from lifting a piece of gear if they want it bad enough.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Last edited by: Jim Mishler: Aug 7, 05 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - that was me on the Guru - I might have been looking fast (half the battle :) but sure didn't feel too fast. It was my anniversary on Sat (#12), out to eat, Anniversary "duties", got up at 4:15am to drive up .... Well, not my best race for sure. Didn't "feel" tired, but had no pop in the legs, especially on the run which was an easy course to boot. Also, the bike course was long (about 1.5 miles) which threw us off some.

Jim - right, not blaming HFP at all (although there really is no security at all to speak of). They run a class act in my opinion. Then again, like I said, I've done 20 other HFP events without a hitch (especially ones like the the Little smokies where you basically live on top one another for an entire weekend). You are right, he/she is the culprit and will hopefully get what he/she deserves ...

Thanks for the support! I guess that what I was looking for?!

Last edited by: rroof: Aug 7, 05 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey there, saw you for a second today...didn't get to say hi. so sorry to hear about the wetsuit...that is total crap. the person who did that will have all the payback required (and then some) in one form or another. i feel sorry for the person because of the karma they have put on themself, unless it was an accident, then hopefully they'll return it.

kittycat
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 7, 05 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rodney, sorry about your wetsuit. I hope you find it. our race had 120 people at alum creek. i guess 3 on the same day is a bit much!
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kitty - yeah, I hit the same damn concrete thing warming up too! No, I didn't see the panicked swimmer! Good thing Mark didn't ;) I totally forgot you were going to be there until Mark mentioned it, then I only saw your bike racked. I had a rough day with only 4 hours sleep - I was tired by mile 3 on the bike :) I blame Rebecca :)

Marisol - yeah, I forgot about the fat rabbit racing 1/2: I would have much preferred that distance anyway (although hindsight with my anniversary the day before, I'm glad I didn't - although I may still have my wetsuit). Hope you had a good race (I'm sure you did).

Quote | Reply
I hope you peed in it! I don't think the thieve will sell it, but use is for himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Get an Amex. If something is stolen or damaged within the first three months - they replace at cost.

Renter's or Homeowners insurance is smart too. It is usually very inexpensive and there will always be a deductible but better safe than upset.

I know that doesn't help you after-the-fact but it may help with future purchases...
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [Chris Z.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have homeowners insurance but most have a $500 deductible (which is about the cost of a P-flex) so that wouldn't have helped much. I didn't know about AMEX 3 month gig - I will inquire with my credit card company.

Quote | Reply
I had my IM suit stolen in Lake Geneva a few years ago. It has my name and phone number permanently on the white part inside the zipper so if the person who stole it ever changes their mind or quits swimming, they can give me a call. More likely that the theif will be swimming in it with no ID, get killed by a motorboat, and my wife will get a call that begins with the words "we regret to inform you that your husband won't be coming home...ever." I've recently stopped holding my breath waiting for either one of those things to happen and bought a QR Superfull. When the suit was first stolen, I thought that was the least likely of the above 3 scenarios that would happen.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Just read this on the HFP post race report:

Missing your wetsuit?

A BL participant came home with TWO wetsuits yesterday. If you lost your wetsuit, let Scott know and you may be able to recover it!

I hope you get lucky
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [carolina raider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well hope the wet suit comes back to you and was simply mistakenly taken.

Stealing from others sucks. When you get something stolen that has value to you, the feeling is like an invasion of one's person. In a way like a lesser extent of rape or a mugging. Individuals who steal from others are just plain low down cuz they're sneaking cowardly behind someone's back to take something of someone else's they got no right to.

Imagine the feeling if someone stole your prized bicycle. I had a collection of 350 or more audiophile CDs in a big CD folder case stolen from my car. These CDs had taken more than 10years to collect and at least 50% cannot be found in the market anymore. I've got tons of normal commercial CD's but that folder was the collection of my favourite album-best recordings. It's extremely difficult to find audiophile recordings of all kinds of favourite tracks that you really like and some of those were already collectors items. That is just one thing amongst several things that have been stolen from me eg my fav sunglasses, fav new boots etc over the years.

If I catch someone stealing I would be sorely tempted to bust his chops, render him unconscious then snap his arm like we would a tree branch, no hesitation and no regrets. Trouble is these sneaky scum are always sneaking and prey on decent folk when the moment is most vulnerable, so they seldom get caught. One of these fine days some lucky will get caught by me and I'll use him to make up for all the other times I couldn't catch the other snivelling thieves.
Last edited by: kangaroo: Aug 8, 05 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Although no one is likely to covet my Promotion sleeveless wetsuit enough to steal it, I nevertheless wrote my name in big, black, indelible ink on the front and back of the suit. I suppose the only way they could hide that would be to dye/color all of the fabric portions of the suit black.
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, i put a call into the race director, and was able to track it down. an HFP email came out saying they have missing wetsuits--since Rod sees patients all day I thought I'd respond right away. I've got the number of the guy who has it, left him a message explaining the situation and that i was calling on behalf of a buddy (which i hope the message made sense...lol). so it looks like Rod will be able to get it back!! thank goodness!! that would have been a real loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job, KC. Hope it works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Bastard stole my wetsuit... [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, we all need to watch out for each other...know what i'm sayin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't get it back, most races actually have insurance that cover things like this. I know they have insurance if they are USAT sanctioned. You can have the race director submit a claim. We have had to replace stolen bikes through our race insurance policy before, although I am not sure if it was the standard USAT insurance or a third party policy that it was covered under.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all - looks like the "guilty" party has claimed he found 2 wetsuits in his bag after unpacking Monday. I know I couldn't fit 2 full wetsuits in my bag with shoes, helmet, etc. and not notice, but ... our swim times were within about 25 secs of each other and the same rack, so I'll give the benefit of doubt. Maybe I just scared him with the negative posting everywhere (on about 5 sites with wesuit's non-removeable serial number and my tag as proof) - if so I certainly apologize and may have been a little hasty at that, but I was pissed anyway. My faith in humanity (mostly with the concern and help from others) has been somewhat restored (thanks all - kittycat).

If it was truly stolen, the negative Karma thing still applies ...;(

Prev Next