Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws
Quote | Reply
Decide for yourself. Posted on his FB

IF YOU ARE A USA TRIATHLON ANNUAL MEMBER, PLEASE READ THIS - VERY IMPORTANT. THANKS!

Dear USA Triathlon Annual Member,

The USA Triathlon Board of Directors contracted an outside, highly experienced consultant nearly 18 months ago, to assist our Federation in updating our Bylaws to primarily reflect “best practices” for for-profits, non-profits, and particularly a non-profit National Governing Body. We also sought to “clean up” much of the extraneous and dated verbiage, which was written one and two decades ago, when the Federation was a much smaller organization.

The consultant set forth a plethora of recommended changes which the Board discussed, debated, and finally came to a vote of approval in early August. Many recommended changes were not accepted, and others were highly discussed and compromise positions were made.

The most highly debated - and important - change was the future composition of the Board of Directors. Today, we have three Athlete (“Elite”) Directors, eight Regional (“General”) Directors, and one Independent Director. The consultant - and virtually any book or paper you read on good governance - highly recommended an increase in the number of Independent Directors, while lowering the number of General Directors elected by Regions. This was coupled with the fact that fewer than 2% of our Members vote in our elections. This has been true for many, many years. As such, becoming one of the eight General Directors is largely a popularity contest decided by a very small minority of eligible voters (typically 200-300 out of 18,000-20,000 eligible), and is not the best way to ensure the needed spectrum of competencies required to govern an organization such as USA Triathlon.

In the early years of our Federation, this may have been OK. We were largely governed by Race Directors, as we were founded by Race Directors, and races were key to our sport. We were small - 10,000 members, 600 events, etc. Today, we are a $17 million, 4,000 event, 55 Staff organization. One of the most important responsibilities of the Board of Directors is to understand, monitor, and sustain the financial strength of our Federation. I can tell you about other Federations around the world who have failed to do so, and they are significantly suffering the consequences. Having certain expertise on such a Board is critical. This could include legal, financial, and even marketing expertise. The Board must be diverse and talented. The current system in no way guarantees that. Having more Independent Directors does; and, this is why the vast majority of non-profit organizations are absolutely moving in this direction.

With this in mind, from the recommendations of the consultant, recognized best practices and our Board discussions, we voted to move to 3 Independents, 6 Regional and 3 Athlete Directors (these 6 Regional Representatives do not in any way change the current Region structure for Region Councils).

To suggest these changes reflect “cronyism” or are self-serving cannot be further from the truth! Note that the current Board, including all eight Regional Directors, voted to reduce the number of Regional Directors to six. This reflects a bold, unselfish perspective, looking out and voting for the best interests of the Federation — not themselves. I commend the Board for taking this step to, in some cases, eliminate their own positions.

Two years ago, a small group of Athletes (“Elites”) quietly and in a coordinated fashion nominated several Athletes for General Director positions. Unabashedly, their effort was made to comprise a majority of the Board and, thus, “control" the Federation. This is why the Board is now recommending Athletes, as defined by the USOC, can only run for Athlete positions; and, only Age Group athletes can run for General Director positions. There are fewer than 300 “Elite Athletes” out of our over 160,000 Members. Thus, currently, there is one Board Representative for every 100 Elite Athletes, versus one General Director seat for every 20,000 total Age Group Members (roughly). It is absolutely in the best interests of the USA Triathlon that we continue to have a balance on the Board that clearly represents our Age Group athletes and our Race Directors. And, again, any Elite Athlete can run for one of the three Athlete positions at any time … just like today - no change.

The allegation that we are limiting who can run for positions is wrong and misleading, at best.. We, again, simply want to follow “best practices” by having a more engaged Nominating and Governance Committee (NGC). Anyone can submit their name to the NGC to be evaluated and considered for the General Director Board seats. The NGC will then make recommendations to the Board as to which 2-3 candidates per Region will then go to the vote of the membership. Again, the key here is to increase the focus upon competence and skill set … vs. simple “minority vote popularity.” The Board positions are open to anyone, the process ensures proper vetting of skills and talents, and ultimately the Members vote for their Board Representative.

Also, some have voiced concern over changes to our “Sunshine Policy,” which mandates posting our Board minutes and financial records, for example, in a timely fashion. This Board is absolutely committed to openness and transparency. We have just agreed with a broader statement as to those actions - one that, again, is commonplace in today’s non-profit organization Bylaws, and recommended by our outside consultant.

I am extremely proud to be part of the USA Triathlon Board of Directors - a Board where the majority continues to understand, listen, respect, and act on behalf of our large membership. It is our support that has helped grow Paratriathlon. It is our support that has grown the funding of our Elite program each and every year, helping establish USAT as one of the strongest programs in the world … and a Gold Medal! It is our support that has been able to help educate and certify over 2,500 Coaches, over 700 Race Directors, and continue to build programs for our youth. We are the ones who helped dedicate $2.6M to the Women’s NCAA program.

In short, we are a group of volunteers who give countless hours to the Federation because we care deeply about our sport, and simply want it to grow, and efficiently and effectively provide the services and programs to make that happen. I appreciate you taking the time to learn about our governance process, and I thank you in advance for casting your vote in favor of these important Bylaw changes. If you are a member in good standing as of 8/30/2016 you are eligible to vote in this election. To do so, please search your inbox for an email from USA Triathlon Election Coordinator [mailto:noreply@directvote.net]. The subject line of the email is “ Important Election Voting Instructions.” For election support, general questions or to request a paper ballot please email Sharon.Carns@usatriathlon.org.

Sincerely,

Barry Siff
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
ITU Executive Board
CAMTRI Executive Board

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I need a cyanide & happiness to decipher all this info.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a flaming pile of Crap in a designer bag.

Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My "Best Practices" is to care even less.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, let’s just assume for a minute that everything Barry says is 100% truthful and accurate. I have no reason to believe otherwise, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I’m still voting AGAINST these changes. He’s echoing the same things that are said by politicians everywhere, everyday. Trust me, I won’t abuse these powers that I’m asking for, I’m a good guy/lady and I only need these additional powers/authority to make changes for the better!

He’s probably telling the truth. _HE_ won’t abuse them. The current board won’t abuse them. But what about the next one? Or the one after that? Everyone promoting changes like this always seems to assume that there will never be a nefarious person or group following them that might abuse the changes they’re making. Forever and ever there will only be good intentioned people assuming those positions ... right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obvious that Barry is Congressional material.
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think his response is longer than the actual proposed bylaws....

Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this were true, then why did USAT only give one side of the story? Why no opposing views?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 If this were true, then why did USAT only give one side of the story? Why no opposing views? //

Because their outside highly experienced consultant(who they paid for) told them not too. How about consulting the people that pay your salaries! At least we got the opposing view here, not sure it will be enough, but at least they seem to think so now that they have popped their heads above ground now and are trying to explain themselves.

KEEP VOTING NO PEOPLE!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
If this were true, then why did USAT only give one side of the story? Why no opposing views? //

Because their outside highly experienced consultant(who they paid for) told them not too. How about consulting the people that pay your salaries! At least we got the opposing view here, not sure it will be enough, but at least they seem to think so now that they have popped their heads above ground now and are trying to explain themselves.

KEEP VOTING NO PEOPLE!!!

Totally agree

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Two years ago, a small group of Athletes (“Elites”) quietly and in a coordinated fashion nominated several Athletes for General Director positions. Unabashedly, their effort was made to comprise a majority of the Board and, thus, “control" the Federation. This is why the Board is now recommending Athletes, as defined by the USOC, can only run for Athlete positions; and, only Age Group athletes can run for General Director positions."

Hold up. I'd like to hear more about this. Especially from Ben Collins (and the Elites) he's talking about.

A best, that's a bit sketchy. But taking his word for it -- he's frankly admitting this is a retaliatory move to limit the potential power of Elite athletes on the governance of the board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this statement to be disingenuous at best, a borderline out and out falsehood at worst:

"Also, some have voiced concern over changes to our “Sunshine Policy,” which mandates posting our Board minutes and financial records, for example, in a timely fashion. This Board is absolutely committed to openness and transparency. We have just agreed with a broader statement as to those actions - one that, again, is commonplace in today’s non-profit organization Bylaws, and recommended by our outside consultant. "

Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
"Two years ago, a small group of Athletes (“Elites”) quietly and in a coordinated fashion nominated several Athletes for General Director positions. Unabashedly, their effort was made to comprise a majority of the Board and, thus, “control" the Federation. This is why the Board is now recommending Athletes, as defined by the USOC, can only run for Athlete positions; and, only Age Group athletes can run for General Director positions."

Hold up. I'd like to hear more about this. Especially from Ben Collins (and the Elites) he's talking about.

A best, that's a bit sketchy. But taking his word for it -- he's frankly admitting this is a retaliatory move to limit the potential power of Elite athletes on the governance of the board.

You can search ST for it. There was a big thread/discussion about it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that cronyism and corruption are more prevalent than not in the NPO/NGO world, I'm not super inspired with confidence by the recommendations of a "consultant" who specializes in "best practices" in this area. The world "consultant" is a huge red flag to me. As is the phrase "best practices."

Making USAT more like the majority of other sports NGBs is absolutely what I do NOT want.

USAT is relatively unique for a significant number of reasons. The biggest one, of course, is that age-group racing ought to be its priority - even above ITU Olympic-track racing. That's a virtual non-issue for organizations like USATF or USRowing or many others. The closest that I can imagine are USA Swimming, though here the priority probably ought to be junior/youth club team racing, and USA Cycling. But I would say that these orgs (USAC, USAS, USAT) are the outliers, not the norm. And that any consultant that wants to move them more in the direction of what the USOC wants is doing a big disservice to its membership.

After reading that reply, I'm even less convinced of the changes. I don't even really care about the elite athlete representation all that much. From my perspective, USAT is basically useless. However, I do recognize that I have *MUCH* more in common with age-group athletes than I do with ITU pros in terms of races. So from that standpoint, what really chaps me is the USOC influence on all of this. More vibrant non-draft age-group racing is much more valuable to me, personally, than an increased focus on Tokyo 2020...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
I find this statement to be disingenuous at best, a borderline out and out falsehood at worst:

"Also, some have voiced concern over changes to our “Sunshine Policy,” which mandates posting our Board minutes and financial records, for example, in a timely fashion. This Board is absolutely committed to openness and transparency. We have just agreed with a broader statement as to those actions - one that, again, is commonplace in today’s non-profit organization Bylaws, and recommended by our outside consultant. "

I've already voted NO and consider this a pile of horseshit. If the board were absolutely committed, they would change the bylaws to ensure they were ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to post all minutes and records, no decisions off record, no behind the scenes discussions, etc., etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am sympathetic to barry's view, but i have these counters:

1. he writes: "Note that the current Board, including all eight Regional Directors, voted to reduce the number of Regional Directors to six." what he doesn't write is that this board considers it more or less treasonous for any boardmember to speak outside of the majority position. this board believes the president and only the president speaks for the board. therefore i wouldn't assume that the board stood up for these bylaw changes with anything like unanimity.

2. sunshine policy: if you want to be transparent you would have no problem with a bylaw that exhorts you to be transparent.

3. barry has a point about the elites being able to run both as elites and general directors. i just think it would be better to more finely describe who can run for which position. there is a better bylaw text sitting out there waiting to be written to tackle this issue.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
spot wrote:

I've already voted NO and consider this a pile of horseshit. If the board were absolutely committed, they would change the bylaws to ensure they were ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to post all minutes and records, no decisions off record, no behind the scenes discussions, etc., etc.

X2 and in a reasonable timeframe.
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of a new Apple end-user agreement for a moment: they just give you the new one without showing what changed...

The nicest thing USAT did in all of this was provide us their proposed revisions with the changes marked in red. What's great about that is that it's easy to see the proposed changes are completely in conflict with what Barry just wrote.

If he's committed to openness and transparency, then he should act like it.

If I could vote him out personally, I would.

And it's unfortunate there's no realistic alternative to USAT because I'd love to vote with my wallet.

Edit: also note - he's basically just using his Facebook platform to advocate the "for" position and swing more votes in his favor.
Last edited by: spudone: Sep 30, 16 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to consider more viewpoints regarding the shift in the composition of the BOD, but I don't see any valid reason to replace the current Sunshine Policy provisions with a one-sentence policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
3. barry has a point about the elites being able to run both as elites and general directors. i just think it would be better to more finely describe who can run for which position. there is a better bylaw text sitting out there waiting to be written to tackle this issue.

I'm confused as to why this is even an issue. Who cares if the general director is an elite athlete or an age group athlete? Presumably, if they're not doing right by the membership they can be held accountable and removed. What does it matter if he's an elite? If there were additional Independent Directors as I believe is being proposed who are they accountable to? What is the process for selecting and removing Independent Directors?
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voted no.

This was actually a helpful way for me to get quick access to vote:

" If you are a member in good standing as of 8/30/2016 you are eligible to vote in this election. To do so, please search your inbox for an email from USA Triathlon Election Coordinator. The subject line of the email is “ Important Election Voting Instructions.” "
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Who cares if the general director is an elite athlete or an age group athlete?"

because the elites have a GUARANTEED number of slots on the board already. rappstar could run as an elite and as a general director. he gets 2 bites at the apple. i only get to run as a general director. this gives elites an unfair advantage in packing the board. i absolutely see barry's point.

however, it could be as simple as saying that you must declare yourself as no longer eligible to run as an elite. the USOC rules for what constitutes an elite are quite expansive. you could have been an elite athlete 8 years ago, and have (in donald trump's vernacular) become a 400 pound guy in the meantime and still qualify as being an elite for the purposes of running for a board seat.

fine. just, if you want to run as a GENERAL director, rather than an elite director, you formally, and forever (no going back) relinquish your ability to run as an elite. there are better ways to solve the problem than to concentrate more control and power into directors who are not in the least beholden to the membership or, for that matter, who have any attachment to the sport of triathlon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if being able to relinquish your right to run as an elite really should make it ok to run for a general position. The number of board positions available to elite's vs. the size of the population is very much in the elites' favor. Their interests - particularly ITU athletes' interests, are VERY different from those of the general membership. So I can see a rule like this used by the the ITU crowd - even using retired ITU athletes whose interests still lie in the WTS/Olympics world, to stack the board with members who run it even more for the benefit of ITU athletes and not for the general membership who pays for everything and is required to be a member just to participate in the sport...

They can pick a few people from their ranks who they think can win an election and strategically have them relinquish their right to an Elite seat and run for a general seat instead, but still with the intention of representing the ITU folks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Barry Siff USAT President responds to Changes of Bylaws [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wonder if being able to relinquish your right to run as an elite really should make it ok to run for a general position"

open to suggestions about this. i agree that you shouldn't be eligible to run for both kinds of director slots. but i don't think anybody should be barred from either kind of board seat.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I wonder if being able to relinquish your right to run as an elite really should make it ok to run for a general position"

open to suggestions about this. i agree that you shouldn't be eligible to run for both kinds of director slots. but i don't think anybody should be barred from either kind of board seat.

I agree - I might suggest that if you are an elite then you cannot forego your right to run as an elite and instead run as a general, and as soon as you retire from pro competition you no longer qualify as an elite but can run as a general member. But that would require a change to USOC rules, which seems highly unlikely.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next