Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad experience with Tyr customer service
Quote | Reply
First i have to say that i contacted Tyr first on this matter as I am not the kind to try and give a bad reputation to a company.

Anyway i really wanted a Tyr hurricane cat 5 when i bought my suit 1 and half year ago (technically the wetsuit is no longer under warranty)

I bought it through amazon.com as there were no retailers in Québec when i bought it.

The wetsuit performed well for the first couple of months, the thing is that when i tried putting it on at IMMT last year, the stitch at the calf ripped right through (really seems more like a badly manufactured product of a defect but hey I am not an expert in neoprene or wetsuit, still the picture might be more explicit).

Since i bought the wetsuit through amazon.com i figured i would ask Tyr USA about the issue. TYR USA directed me to TYR sports in canada since I am located in Canada. Well Tyr Canada directed me towards TYR USA because the product was not bought through one of their retailer (remember that this was a time when TYR did not have any local dealer anywhere in the province). Well i contacted TYR USA again and they said that there is nothing they can do as I am in Canada and they do not ship to Canada. I showed the following picture to the customer service guy from TYR USA and he got his supervisor immediately but said the fact that I am located in Canada is a deal breaker.

Here is a picture.

Am I asking for too much by wanting a company to stand by their product, I mean i don't want a freebie or anything since i used the suit for a while, but a credit toward a new suit or something along those lines.

Quote Reply
Re: Bad experience with Tyr customer service [snoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is going to get ugly real quick.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much of the mindset whenever I buy a product outside the manufacturers authorized retail network I'm on my own and SOL if anything happens.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 15, 14 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Bad experience with Tyr customer service [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok noted!

Fair.

Don't want to start a bashfest or anything was just looking for inputs.

Thanks for your time

Just thought it was ordinary to get me back and fort between Canada and the US
Last edited by: snoop: Jul 15, 14 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snoop wrote:
Ok noted!

Fair.

Don't want to start a bashfest or anything was just looking for output.

Thanks for your time

It's a tough situation, but manufacturers have to set the line somewhere. Do some of these online wetsuit places like TriSports not ship to Canada? I'd *think* they would have the full force of the manufactuer warranty if purchased through them, but don't know for sure.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 15, 14 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had a bad experience with their customer support as well, though it had to do with a shipping error and charging my credit card twice, not a manufacturing defect. Anyway, after multiple unanswered emails and unreturned phone calls, I finally got the attention of a supervisor who didn't exactly accelerate the process, but at least gave me information about everything.

Sadly, no real insight here other than start complaining early and loudly otherwise you'll be completely in the dark with them.

D.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote Reply
Re: Bad experience with Tyr customer service [dpancotto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a bad experience with them recently as well. Needless to say, I will not be supporting them anymore. Here is the review I posted on amazon.

For the first two uses of my TYR Torque Pro, I loved it! It definitely made me faster in the water and it is super comfortable. I never got any rashes and it didn't rub wrong anywhere. When I put it on, I feel like I just glide effortlessly through the water. Well this was until it's third use at Ironman St Croix this year. Everything was going as planned until I got into T1 and started to take the Torque off. I pulled the rip cord and the zipper stuck on the fabric and broke right off! This was an issue because I needed to get it off to finish my race. I had no choice but to squeeze myself out of the top of it. In the process, I tore one of the shoulders. Not only did my transition take a lot longer than it should have, but I was bummed that my barely used TYR Torque was ruined.

I finished my race and figured I would just email TYR when I got home. I asked my coach for the receipt since he bought it for me, but he couldn't find it anywhere. Who knew something like this would happen with such a high quality (expensive) item (or perceived high quality). My swim skin was only a few months old and other than the damage I just created because of a broken zipper, it looks brand new. I emailed TYR and they said without a receipt I was out of luck and they wouldn't do anything. I have owned (and still own) a variety of TYR products over the years and this has never happened to me. This is also the most expensive piece of TYR equipment I have owned and it saddens me that they won't stand behind their product.

I think I am over TYR. I won't be supporting them anymore. This makes me sad since I loved this swimskin and my other TYR products so much.

http://www.raptorcorn.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bad experience with Tyr customer service [jhorn929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost identical experience. I had my receipt but I was out of warranty, despite the fact I wore this thing 2x in 2 years.
They promised to email me a discount coupon which they never did. It wouldn't have mattered, I will never buy a Tyr product again, even with a big discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking to get a new wetsuit I've had great experiences with Aquasphere customer service. I bought their top of the line Phantom suit and at the end of the first season using it (close to a year after purchasing it) the seam seals were coming loose so I contacted customer service and they told me to send it back and they would either repair or send a replacement. They sent me a new suit! So this year after only 4 open water swims in my new suit the seam seals started coming loose again so I again called customer service and explained the situation and emailed them copies of my original exchange. They apologized, said that they just redesigned the suit to fix this issue and they sent me a brand new redesigned 2013/2014 suit. I asked if they needed me to send back my old suit and they told me to just destroy it so that no one would try to re-claim a warranty with it... I plan to keep it as a back up suit as a "just in case" situation should something happen to my new suit just prior to a race as it's usable with a lot of body glide/tri-slide to prevent chaffing for shorter swims.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try De Soto. Great wetsuit and impeccable customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad experience with Tyr customer service [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on De Soto
Quote Reply