Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Back pain
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I did a hard ride on the trainer. All was fine, I got off the trainer- no pain, no issues. Then I bent over to put on my shoes and all of a sudden had severe back pain. I could barely manage to stand back up again. The pain lasted for about a week (I did not bike during this time) I was scared to bike again, so I took a second week off. Got back on, rode well- no pain- until I got off the bike again and all of a sudden had the pain again. Took another week off and decided to try my road bike instead. It has a bit of a different fit than my tri bike and is obviously more upright. No luck. Pain again. I'm not sure what to do. I have had this bike with only minimal nudges in fit for about 5 years, so I don't think it is a fit issue. And strangely, I don't feel any pain when I am riding- only when I get off... and for about a week after. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Back pain [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anything changed in your day to day? Are you sitting more at work? Running more hills? etc...

I tend to have the same thing happen from time to time...in my case I think it is connected to tight hamstrings and somewhat poor posture (rolled shoulders, slouched over etc.)

I've focused on strength training a bit more for chest, shoulders etc, increased core work, and put active thought in my posture/sitting habits at work. It hasn't completely made it stop but seems to have helped quite a bit.

Perhaps the same for you :)
Quote Reply
Re: Back pain [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm up for any suggestion. I am swimming more and doing more kick work- so yes- my hamstrings might be tighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
A few weeks ago I did a hard ride on the trainer. All was fine, I got off the trainer- no pain, no issues. Then I bent over to put on my shoes and all of a sudden had severe back pain. I could barely manage to stand back up again. The pain lasted for about a week (I did not bike during this time) I was scared to bike again, so I took a second week off. Got back on, rode well- no pain- until I got off the bike again and all of a sudden had the pain again. Took another week off and decided to try my road bike instead. It has a bit of a different fit than my tri bike and is obviously more upright. No luck. Pain again. I'm not sure what to do. I have had this bike with only minimal nudges in fit for about 5 years, so I don't think it is a fit issue. And strangely, I don't feel any pain when I am riding- only when I get off... and for about a week after. Any thoughts?

My guess would be that you are pinching a nerve some how on the bike

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it like a electric shock or muscle tightness. I have a tight iliopsoas and it results in lower back throbbing. I have to stick a massage stick (pointy end) into my groin to reach it to release the muscle. Sux getting old. I do this nearly every night now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess tight hip flexors, possible trigger point in psoas with referred pain to back. Check pelvic forward pelvic tilt for maybe some facet pain. Again caused primarily from too much sitting. Work on hips too to avoid glute pain. And check with good sports PT to see if they can pinpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are experiencing very typical back pain. No nerve is beIngram pinched and no muscle is at fault. As you put it, your fit is likely fine as well. Chances are you have lost considerable lumbar extension range of motion and this is exacerbated by long term flexion. Sitting, bending, lifting, pulling knees to chest will all worsen your condition. You will likely dramatically improve with press ups assuming your pain is central and predictable per your description. Don't worry about core strength either, that's not your issue. This type of pain is a warning sign, but nothing to be scared of. Find a McKenzie credentialed physical therapist, do your homework and you'll be feeling great in days.
Quote Reply
Re: Back pain [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You will likely dramatically improve with press ups assuming your pain is central and predictable per your description

Agree with this 100%. I will stop whatever I am doing the moment I feel the horrible, acute, crushing back pain coming on and immediately do the McKenzie press-ups. I try to do them regularly for prevention, but when back pain becomes a distant memory I usually slack off--- until the next time I am reminded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
Thanks. I'm up for any suggestion. I am swimming more and doing more kick work- so yes- my hamstrings might be tighter.

Do you do, and/or can you do, flip turns??? Great for loosening up and strengthening the lower back. I fractured my L-1 vertebra in a bike crash a few years ago and at first it really hurt to do flip turns, e.g. I was literally screaming out underwater. The neurologist I went to see just happened to be a former college swimmer and he said "So, you can do the flip turns but it just hurts??? Then my advice would be to keep doing them and the pain will gradually go away. If you stop doing the flip turns, it is likely that your back will freeze up and you will never be able to flip turn again." So I kept flipping my turns and he was exactly right as the pain gradually reduced from every turn, to first 1000 yd, to 1st 500, to the 1st turn to no pain at all. I realize my scenario is not the same as yours but you might see some benefit from doing flip turns, or learning to do them if you can't do them now.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply