Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby...
Quote | Reply
What a great life! I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [Ironmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you wash your hands between diapers and dinner. Does "baby" have a name?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isnt it great. It only gets better. My 8 month old is crawling, standing and laughing her crazy head off. She will be talking any day now, I think.

Since mom and I are triathletes, we named her Cadence
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Since mom and I are triathletes, we named her Cadence"

Are you serious?!! That is a great name!

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [Epiclesis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cadence Mae, since she was born in May. She is already on her way to being a mini triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit, I was one of those guys that resisted having kids, and finally gave in. We had our daughter on...Sept. 11, 2003, and I love it! She's getting more and more fun every day. She makes my wife and I smile and laugh every day and it's such a rewarding thing to be able to teach your own offspring about the world around them and see them exhibit traits they inherit or learn from you. An absolute blast!
Saige and I enjoying a chocolate cupcake! Ha, ha.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our daughter was also born on Sept. 11, but in 2006. She's now starting to get so interactive. It's a blast so far!

Quote | Reply
 toddler, baby, drop off, work, dinner, bath for toddler, train, bed for baby, bed for Mom and Dad..... I forgot what it was like to have any free time, funny thing is when I had free time I didn't do anything.....
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [turn n' burn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I said to my wife a week ago. "Damn, when I was single and not a dad, I had all the time in the world. I shoulda trained more!"

Last edited by: cslone: Feb 8, 07 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I just had our fourth...yeah 4 kids. I'll let ya know if I'm able to stay married through IM training. Should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get to double the pleasure... although I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like. Stupid work schedule!

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [cslone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another daughter born Sept 11th here - she's 11 now!! It only gets more fun when they can train with you. Both of my daughters like to ride their bikes while I run. And, the 11 year old did her first tri last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is having our first baby on March 27th. I'm signed up for IMCDA on June 24th. What do you think, is an IM a bad idea when you have a three-month-old? I've considered withdrawing from the IM. I'm not so much worried about the amount of training that I need to do (right now my plan is just to skate by on minimal training, and just finish the race), but the sleepless nights might be a problem.

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is great isn't it? Our 6month old has given me the flu and three different colds in 3 months. Still worth it though!
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with DawnT on this one. Wait till your kids can ride their bikes while you run (great water bottle holder for those hot summer long runs). When I bike, my kids are waiting at the end of the driveway because they know I'll do a few 'cool down' laps around the subdivision with them in tow.

Summer can't come fast enough. :>

http://www.team-karma.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I never wanted kids, then I hit mid 30s and something snapped. Couldn't imagine life without him now.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [Lyons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed - we have four children (11, 6, 5 and 3). the oldest two rides their bikes sometimes while I run. All come along to races and really enjoy them. Really noticing how much easier training is as they are starting to get older - all IMs so far have involved 'reasoning with a baby' - resulting in doing a bit less than I had planned. They didn't seem to understand 'I'll be finished my ride in an hour...'.

Looking forward to seeing how much easier the training is this time - they know that when I am doing my long ride on the trainer on a Saturday morning it is the one time that they can watch TV (until I finish)! Usually gets them an hour or so - any earlier and I send them back to bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [Sidestroker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidestroker-
Don't withdraw from CdA! Last year, I had the pre-signup talk with my wife about doing IM CdA. She said go for it. I'm not crapping you, 2 days later, we were pregnant. The baby came 4/30/06. I knew that taking time off from training 8 weeks from the race wasn't optimum by any stretch, but it didn't really matter. I took two full weeks off of training (from 4/30 - 5/13) and then slowly started to build back up. Get in what you can before the baby comes, don't sweat taking time off, because it's a special time that I wouldn't have traded for anything. I approached the race way differently that I would've if I was sans kiddo, but it turned out better not stressing so much. I had a blast and got to travel with the family for our first vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [Sidestroker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My wife is having our first baby on March 27th. I'm signed up for IMCDA on June 24th. What do you think, is an IM a bad idea when you have a three-month-old? I've considered withdrawing from the IM. I'm not so much worried about the amount of training that I need to do (right now my plan is just to skate by on minimal training, and just finish the race), but the sleepless nights might be a problem.
I don't know what you've worked out, but my wife had the attitude (thank GOD) that she was the one that was going to have to breastfeed anyway, so why should BOTH of us have to get up in the middle of the night? I got to sleep through it all. Fortunately, our daughter was sleeping through the night after 2 months.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the unique ability to be able to train with little to no sleep, in a current state of complete exhausition and you don't work, you'll be fine.

Not helping your spouse with the infant (no matter who's breastfeeding) seems very selfish to me. I was up with my wife most of the time helping her.

I can't imagine saying, "Well, I'm going to sleep since I don't have to breastfeed. Besides, I have a 5 hour ride/1 hour run brick scheduled for tomorrow while you're breastfeeding and doing whatever else you have do to with infants."

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had signed up for my first IM for CDA in 2004 and my wife got pregnant in the fall before and was due mid-July. I had chosen CDA so we could hit Glacier after the race for a vacation, but she was sooo pregnant around race time that she couldn't go with, so I had to do it w/o her but my parents did come along. Her sis stayed with her, but the thought was in the back of my head that she was going to have the baby when I was out there. Turned out to be ok since she didn't have our daughter until later in July.

Thing is... I didn't miss a beat with training despite the newborn. Mother-in-law was around for 2 weeks after delivery. I brought running clothes and swim stuff to the hospital with us. The immediate day after was rough because delivery was a 1am and then we were moved around and didn't get much sleep. But the next day I went to master's swim practice at 6am and the day after got in a medium long run in the morning. During the early hours everyone was asleep and my wife was happy to get me out the door so I didn't go insane (or drive her insane). Did a 1/2 IM a month later and has stayed consistent since. I'm thankful for a flexible and understanding wife...

(use code #48352 for 15% off your first order)
*Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Hammer products*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no greater joy. I have never been so tired, 3 year old and 3 month old, but also have never been so happy. What a wonderful time. Sports- triathlon, skiing etc, have their purpose- but these 2 humans really have put things in perspective for me.

Now if only I can get the little guy to sleep- at least for a little while, maybe a 4 hour stretch here and there- that is all my wife and I ask- we are simple people, simple needs- FUCKING SLEEP WOULD HELP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the unselfish world of parenthood, you'll get back 100 x more than what you give!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get dinner?

Re: Baby, work, training, diapers, dinner, baby... [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErnieK, your timeline sounds similar to mine. I signed up online for IMCDA ’07 the day after IMCDA ’06, and then I must have been so excited that I got my wife pregnant almost immediately. Within a few months, she and I have had conversations about whether I should go through with the IM. She always said “You should go for it!” However, she and the boy will not be coming up for it. Thankfully, she will not have gotten back to work by the time the IM comes along.
KLinggi, yeah, I see what you mean about it seeming selfish for the guy not getting up many times in the middle of the night to tend to the baby. However, when I talked to my wife about the late nights, she actually said something to the effect of “you wouldn’t really need to get up in the night, it would mostly be me. Since I’m the one who does the breastfeeding, you can usually sleep through the night.” Heck, then I tried to argue with her “But honey, it is my responsibility to be there with you and the baby at 4:00 a.m.”, and then I let her win the argument. She is so practical!

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply

Prev Next