Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA Cage Mount Help/Ideas
Quote | Reply

Looking to mount my Aero HC bottle cage in the positionpictured below. Not really room to ziptie it on and still be able to smoothly insert and remove a bottle. I was considering attaching it with 10lbVelcro at the four points where the cage touches the aero bars and the onepoint where it contacts the stem. Anychance this works? Or will it comeflying off on the first bump or due to the cumulative effect of a roughroad? I have tried the Speedfill StemCap Mount along with the HED Lollipop (both cool products), however each ofthose puts the bottle up really high. IfI can get it mounted in this location, I plan to mount my Garmin 500 mount onthe bottle via the Garmin bands as I am not sure I will have enough room infront of the bottle to attach it to my bars and still get my hands around thegrips.

If this is a bad idea or won’t work, my next though is justto attach two metal brackets across the bars and screw the bottle cage in. Just think this way could look cleaner andkeep the bottle a little lower allowing more room for my hands up front.

Any thoughts or alternative recommendations arewelcomed.

Quote Reply
Re: BTA Cage Mount Help/Ideas [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is you have to use something more secure, like zipties or screw mount like what you are thinking. This weekend I hit a bump where the front of the cage tilted downward and the weight of the bottle almost shot the bottle out the front. I "corrected" it but then after a while, it happened again and the bottle shot out. The rest of the race, I did not use my bta setup. This was the same set up I used in training and I never had an issue but I guess you just never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use the standard cage, and after losing the bottle once decided to make some bands out of old inner tube to make sure it won't fly no more. Unless you actually plan on swapping the bottle mid race, no reason why you cant secure it with tape or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a similar cage. I would move the cage back, over the front of the stem. a single zip tie can go around the bottom of the cage and around the stem. Zip tie each front arm-thingie on the cage to an extension of the aerobar. The middle of the cage should rest on top of the face plate, held down by the zip ties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can zip tie it in that position (ties can go anywhere on the cage, not just the bolt holes).

One note, IME that Profile cage has fairly weak plastic and breaks easily when used bta. Consider a stronger cage (Specialized ribcage, Blackburn slick, Bontrager rl, etc.)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: BTA Cage Mount Help/Ideas [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought about that, however due to the angle of my stem the bottle is then pointing up over my hands at a weird angle and the straw is then back behind my mouth when using the Aero HC bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA Cage Mount Help/Ideas [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem on the zip ties is that there is zero clearance between the bottle and cage at those points. I could still install with the zip ties, however I am then further stretching the cage when I put the bottle in.

I plan to use the Aero HC bottle during races so wont' actually be pulling the bottle out during the race, however during training rides I will use it at times with a standard bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Problem on the zip ties is that there is zero clearance between the bottle and cage at those points. I could still install with the zip ties, however I am then further stretching the cage when I put the bottle in.

I plan to use the Aero HC bottle during races so wont' actually be pulling the bottle out during the race, however during training rides I will use it at times with a standard bottle.

Yes, the cage will stretch a bit more, but it will still work fine. You can always try it, and cut the zip ties if you don't like it.

Here's how I attached that cage to my old integrated Profile bar/stem:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: BTA Cage Mount Help/Ideas [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the visual. I might still use a little Velcro as well as secondary support and to kill any rattling.
Quote Reply