Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMW X-3 Owner's Bike Experience Inquiry
Quote | Reply
I am looking for feedback from any BMW X-3 owners regarding transporting bikes. I was set to pick an X-3 up in Europe this summer, but after looking at the inside storage capacity, I am less certain that the vehicle will meet my needs. I need to carry two bikes and luggage for the trip this summer. I appreciate any feedback from current or former X-3 owners.
Quote Reply
Re: BMW X-3 Owner's Bike Experience Inquiry [Kagemusha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a 3, but had a 5 and have lots of other SUV's. Calling a 3 an "SUV" is like calling a Subaru a "wagon"...yeah, technically it is, functionally it isn't. I think the 3 has the platform of a 3 series sedan. My 5 series wagon as the exact same dimensions as my 5 series sedan, in other words, they hold about the same amount, less the height over the trunk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell you if it fits your needs, but the X-3 has more interior cargo space than the X-5, so the other post may be misleading.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: BMW X-3 Owner's Bike Experience Inquiry [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should probably start saying "old" X-5 at this point as the new, bigger one is out now. Haven't seen one on the road yet though.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, I think if you are set on buying a bimmer, look at the 3 series and 5 series wagons. The cargo room is about the same and its a real BMW. The X3 is the only BMW not built by BMW, they are made by Magna Steyer in Austria.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: BMW X-3 Owner's Bike Experience Inquiry [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't tell you if it fits your needs, but the X-3 has more interior cargo space than the X-5, so the other post may be misleading.

Don't know how you get that...other than having owned one myself and having parked it next to X3's several times, and compared them at the dealer, the specs are that the X5 is taller, wider, had more head room and more distance behind the axle. In any event, they are both pretty small in terms of cargo space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not owned an x3 but............ Jeremy Clarkson even said that the X3 was for people who are clinically insane.!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't even afford the left riear tire on an X-3.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: BMW X-3 Owner's Bike Experience Inquiry [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The skunks of Michigan rejoice...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an X5 (2001) and an X3 (2005).
With a bike rack on top- it is much easier to get bikes off the X3 than the X5.
Inside-The X3 has a taller rear cargo space since the entire rear hatch opens up but it is not very deep. I have to take off both my front and rear wheels to get the bike inside. The frame sits upright with the bars tilted. The wheels sit up against the frame. There is still plenty of room for some bags behind the bike against the rear seats due to the angle of the seats. I guess you could fit two frames and a maybe a set of wheels in the back and the other set of wheels in the middle seats. I have never tried it.
I have also put my TT bike in the back seat with the rear wheel still on.
I have to park in an underground garage and often bring my bike to ride home from work, so I like to keep it somewhat out of view in the rear hatch with a towel over it.
The X5 cargo area is much deeper but the hatch opens in two. You need to lay the frame down (as opposed to upright in the X3) to get it in the back. You also need to take both wheels off.

Caveat- I have two car seats for the kids in both cars so I can't practically fold down the rear seats and lay the bikes down. I have done it but you still need the front wheels off. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the x5, tom is right about affording the rear tire...I paid $1800 last week for 4 and they are v rated (tread life is 30k)...and to add icing to the cake...i get stuck in wet leaves. as far as fitting your bike in the x3 and x5...i have done both with no problems...plenty of room...i actually use our mini cooper for races...my tri bike and gear fit fine. but to address you post...i would seriously consider getting a hitch and a bike rack, it's much easier that way. then the family isn't all jammed in the car. here are pix of the x5 and mini...can you believe that the bike fits in that mini!!!
good luck and pm me if you need to know where to get a hitch...i have a great source.

http://www.scoogie.com/
Quote Reply