Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC owners bewarned
Quote | Reply
Drove 1000 miles to race toughman indiana (RE: cry like a biatch thread) only to DNS because of a 20$ rear derailleur hanger. Contact 3 BMC dealers betwee Indianapolis and Cinncinnati and none carried the part.

The hanger is made of aluminum and the 2 drill holes make an excellent shear point. Likely it may have been slightly bent by me during travel but when I shifted in the largest rear cog, which is something as a STer, I do rarely, it go tangled in the spokes and snapped like a twig.

Moral of the story, for 20$ I think I will buy a few extra for peace of mind.

On the bright side, i got a taper week and gain a week of IM build since I don't have to recover.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picture!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And folks think I'm nuts for always traveling with an extra hanger for all my bikes.

p.s. This likely has nothing to do with your bike being a BMC. It happens to all makes and models. Still sucks though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly every bike has a flaw. You have a dodgy RD hanger. My Shiv has a seatpost collar that will pull out of CF - probably in a hotel room 3000 miles from home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you have a replaceable derailleur hanger. I had to get a whole new Cervelo P3 when my derailleur hanger broke off as it was part of the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's is, from the title I thought they owed you a gift card or something.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to my 2013 BMC SLR01. When my deraileur hangar failed, the rear deraileur and chain ended up smashing and cracking my frame in 3 places. BMC wouldn't do a thing about it. I was left with an expensive piece of garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a BMC specific problem. Happened to my Shiv after flying to IMFL. No dealer near Panama City had a replacement. Last minute save by my LBS who fed ex'd overnight to me before the race. Now I carry two extras in my tool bag.TSA pretty much dug around my iron case then would not let me re-situate packing. Fed EX ground from now on for me for destination races. There is a temp hanger that you can use in a pinch, shifting might suffer s bit though. Surprised on site mechanics didn't offer it to you.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened while riding not traveling. And caused injury too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is actually an interesting learning lesson. Sorry to hear about that but thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always carry a spare RD hanger, i have two for my CAAD10 and one for my transition in a tool box ready to go right now. I have learned this the hard way multiple times, they can bend quite easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
Drove 1000 miles to race toughman indiana (RE: cry like a biatch thread) only to DNS because of a 20$ rear derailleur hanger. Contact 3 BMC dealers betwee Indianapolis and Cinncinnati and none carried the part.

The hanger is made of aluminum and the 2 drill holes make an excellent shear point. Likely it may have been slightly bent by me during travel but when I shifted in the largest rear cog, which is something as a STer, I do rarely, it go tangled in the spokes and snapped like a twig.

On the bright side, i got a taper week and gain a week of IM build since I don't have to recover.

Sounds like it performed as its designed to do.

Moral of the story, don't let the rear derailleur touch of lean on anything and check the alignment after traveling and before you ride it. A visual inspection should have thrown a red flag that the hanger was bent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So your replaceable hanger did exactly as it was designed to do, break before your frame does. I think you need to thank BMC for saving your drive side chain and seat stays.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [mc.cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels Mfg, where most bike shops get their hangers from, lists 254 different hangers. This is why we rarely have the specific one you might need in stock. Our shop stocks hangers for the Electra Townie and the Specialized Expedition, the two most popular bikes we sell, neither is a race bike by any stretch of the imagination. A hanger is almost always going to be a special order item, I always urge customers to order an extra if I need to order one. Like others have said, get a spare or two and throw them in your tool bag.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:

Goes online buys hanger for all bikes

Quote | Reply
BMC can also thank me for buying their product.

A proactive approach on BMCs part would be to put more emphasis on this issue as a potential problem and perhaps help the consumer by supplying an extra 20$ part.

Let's see 20$/6700$=0.3%. Happy customer = priceless.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contacts LBS to order 2 hangers. Not required for other bike since titanium;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:

I carry a spare for my Ti bike. Never hurts to be prepared.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
triordie1994 wrote:

I learned something.

My Look came w/an extra. Perhaps I'll bring it with me when I travel.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This:

manofthewoods

May 31, 15 17:26

Post #20 of 20 (15 views)
Re: BMC owners bewarned [logella] - NEW [In reply to]Quote | Reply

logella wrote:
triordie1994 wrote:

I learned something.

My Look came w/an extra. Perhaps I'll bring it with me when I travel.

I could break the course record - theoretically, Bishop Pickering - from the movie "Caddyshack"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the Tri bikes you are going to buy on the market are going to have derailleur hangers made of alluminum that are DESIGNED to break before your frame does. This is not a BMC issue. There is a difference between design flaw and Designed flaw. Should every super bike come with an extra hanger? That would be nice but not all do. Should they also include extra bolts, tires, tubes for when they wear out or break? When I break a hanger I blame myself or the stick that got caught in the derailleur, I don't blame the bike company since they aren't the ones who broke my hanger.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Re: BMC owners bewarned [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
And folks think I'm nuts for always traveling with an extra hanger for all my bikes.
p.s. This likely has nothing to do with your bike being a BMC. It happens to all makes and models. Still sucks though.

This. /\

Derailleur hangers have, unfortunately, become very specific to specific models/brands rather than having universal hangers. It's well worth having 1-2 in your tool box just in case of a problem like this. It's a cheap insurance policy since pretty much everything else you'd need can be procured with relative ease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the blame in the original post?

It was an FYI hence 'be warned'. I wish I could have been warned as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue just before Ironman Austria 2015, though bent not broken. Good news- I had purchsed a spare from my local bike store. Bad news: they had sold me the wrong replacement. Fortunately a local bike mechanic got my original hanger back to 98% of the spec. Lesson learned? Not only should I carry an extra hanger, I should not trust my bike store that they sold me the correct one and physically check to see if it is compatible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next