Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please
Quote | Reply
I am considering a TM01 and would like some input from others on:

1) Integrated brakes - are they easy to adjust, can they be adjusted to fit the newer wide race wheels everyone is now making?
2) Integrated stem - easy to adjust and fit? Also, is it easily removable for a travel case scenario?
3) Durability - any issues with workmanship or lack thereof?
4) Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much have changed since I bought mine (2012) but looks like everything stayed the same. So to answer your questions:

1- I find the front easy to adjust. The back is not. However, you can resolve the issue by either using the same wheel width for training and racing, or get brake adjusters. I've both on mine. I have Flo and HED wheels. The Flo are much wider and fits no problem.
2- The stem is easy to adjust. A lot of screws but you will get used to it.
3- Love mine. Logged thousands of training and racing miles and still love riding it and had no issues.
4- Yes I would.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed with tri-nut

1) I have a set of HED Jet wheels for racing and I bought some equal width training wheels. Both are 23mm.
2) The stems are very easy. Especially if you get the chart that shows all the permutations and combinations of stack and reach. I know exactly which "lego blocks" to use if I want to drop my pads 7mm and push them out 6mm.....
3) no complaints
4) yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy B. wrote:
I am considering a TM01 and would like some input from others on:

1) Integrated brakes - are they easy to adjust, can they be adjusted to fit the newer wide race wheels everyone is now making? I run Enve SES 8.9s and only rarely have changed out a front wheel with no issue. Back looks harder, but I have no experience with it.
2) Integrated stem - easy to adjust and fit? Also, is it easily removable for a travel case scenario? I've packed mine many times into a PikaPackworks soft case which requires complete disassembly of the stem to turn the handlebars down to the side...not hard at all except for the cables that go under a small plastic protective cap over the stem. When I first starting doing that, it was a bitch getting the cables lined up properly under the cap and the cap screws back in upon re-assembly. Apparently, I have the knack now because the last several times I seem to get it on almost right away. If you have Di2 (with thin wires) instead of regular cables this wouldn't even be a potential issue.
3) Durability - any issues with workmanship or lack thereof? None, whatsoever. I have a 2012 TM01 and expect to keep it many, many years.
4) Would you recommend it? Absolutely...great bike! Based on comments in the BMC owners thread, I travel with a spare DR hanger (someone broke one) and a spare seatpost locking bolt (someone lost it in the frame) but have never needed them.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great bike. Get it, ride it, love it. I had no issues while I owned my 2013. The stems are easy, it's durable, it's fast, integrated brakes are obviously slightly less powerful than traditional, but they're aero and fast (fair trade IMO).

Follow me on Instagram @bouldersportschiropractic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I have the 2016 BMC TM02, so it is slightly different than yours.

1. Brakes are easy to adjust, I run 22mm wide wheels, no issues. The back brake is not easy to adjust but not a pain either.
2. Don't have that.
3. Had it for a few months, no issues at all.
4. Yes, I cannot believe how great this bike is. I expected a rough and terrible ride, it is nothing like that at all. It is smooth and controlled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013 TM02 so slightly different, but I have friends with TM01s and the negatives are exactly the same....

I absolutely love the feel of the bike. It's a very comfortable ride IMO. The only negative that I have found is that the rear brake is MISERABLE. It's a very narrow fit so certain wheels are very difficult to even fit (ex. I rented some Firecrest Zipps one year for a race and they had to basically take apart the entire brake in order to get it in there.) It was such a long process that, when I finally saved enough to buy wheels of my own, I actually decided to buy older Non-FC Zipps just so that I wouldn't have to take the bike apart every time I used them.
I've also had issues in races before where something is unexpectedly rubbing, etc. and I've wound up just having to ride with a rubbing wheel since it's impossible to quickly adjust.

My suggestion: it's an awesome frame but may not be the best bet if you don't have easy bike shop access and/or if you want to switch the wheels in and out frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I purchased TM01 late last year and been riding heavy ever since. The brakes, like any other super bike, are integrated and need a different adjustment than traditional calipers. Thus far I've used my LBS to change the wheels the one time that I've moved from my 808 setup to training wheels during offseason. In the months ahead I'll have it do it again, at least until I take the time to learn to adjust on my own. That's been the single piece of additional overhead that I've had w/ the BMC over my older P3. An easy trade considering how nice the bike is. As for fit, I had a proper one done when I bought so it's been a 'one and done'. No issues with durability, rubbing or like. The brakes are dialed in real tight so as you take your wheels off for cleaning or transport, etc., just eye it close to make sure things are dialed. This is a precision machine and just treat it accordingly. I would not even blink if contemplating the purchase of a new bike again. Very happy. PM me if you want to chat.
Last edited by: Schonner: Mar 5, 16 3:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a TM02 like some of the others posted so not quite the same. I love the ride, stiff, responsive but comfortable to ride. I can't talk about the integrated stem but the integrated rear brake can be a bit of a pain to get adjusted the 1st time. My LBS luckily has a good deal of experience with the BMC and did not take them that long to get it dialed in with decent brake feel. Since they adjusted it to my Flo wheels I have not had a single problem. No issues with break rub or durability. I love my bike and would recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get your LBS to install an inline barrel adjuster on the brake cable and you can adjust them on the fly for different wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't yet, check out the BMC thread here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=4363884;
Tons of info.

For questions 1 & 2 - in a nutshell, you need a shop that knows what they are doing to dial in the BMC for you.
I tried to build mine up myself but couldn't. As an example, to adjust the rear brakes, you have to take the crankset off (!).
I finally gave up and found a shop that knew how to dial it in.
You absolutely need to have in-line brake cable adjusters if you run different width training vs racing wheels.

I am running Hed 60/Disc 25mm wide racing wheels and Hed 50/50 23mm training wheels as an example. Works fine using the cable adjusters.

Regarding 3&4. Once dialed, the bike is awesome. Last year I did a life time PR on the oly bike at Nationals - 59:19 min on it -at age 49. It's got a smooth yet responsive ride. It climbs well for a tri bike. (For comparison, rode my friend's Cervelo P5 and hated it. Didn't climb for beans and was completely numb feeling. That said, it was fast and if you are doing Kona, great choice).

Bottom line: I'd recommend it if you have a good mechanic. Then race the crap out of it. I'm going in to my third year and still love it.

BTW, I liked the TM01 so much I bought a TMR02 (aero road bike) to keep it company. Also a blast to ride (but needed a mechanic to run all the cables).
Last edited by: twain: Mar 5, 16 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Di2 setup on it completes the TM01 very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1) Integrated brakes - are they easy to adjust, can they be adjusted to fit the newer wide race wheels everyone is now making?
2) Integrated stem - easy to adjust and fit? Also, is it easily removable for a travel case scenario?
3) Durability - any issues with workmanship or lack thereof?
4) Would you recommend it?

Everything said above is true for me as well. What I can add to 2.) and 4.)

2.)
  • If you have all bricks mounted (like me) the whole setup becomes a bit tilted to the front. I once crashed during cornering out of the saddle because of that. The rear wheel simply lost traction, because all the weight was in front. However this is not really a bike issue, but rather a sizing & technique issue.
  • The screws in the stem will get rusty because of sweating, can be taped however.
  • Only opening the stem is needed if you want to put it in the bike case (I use Evox). No problems there.

4.)
  • If you have a mechanic who knows how to work with the bike, yes.
  • If the size suits you, yes. I ride a S version which is very competitive for me, but the M-S or M-L versions didn't fit. I now feel happy on the Oly, challenged on the 70.3 and tortured on the IM because of the Aero position.
  • I found that only the bottle cages behind the saddle work reasonably well. The Speedfil fills almost the complete frame on the S size, so that it feels super messy. The head mounted drinking systems only add to the problem from 2.)
  • If you have races with 180° turns, keep in mind that you might have issues because of the limited angle the bike can turn.
  • The seatpost is honestly s**t as it is on all my BMC bikes. You can fix all problems by just covering it with tape or smartphone protective foils to prevent it from slipping back into the frame under pressure. Don't try to fix it by just turning a few NM more then recommended - killed the screw once and would not recommend it again.

Finally I am reasonable happy, however I would go for the TMR 01 or Venge instead, especially as I ride Oly and 70.3 mostly.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please [Richie74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just goes to show that everyone's experience is different. I ride a M-S TM01. Seatpost never slips when torqued at the correct NM, and mine has been on and off many, many times. I am comfortable with my fit at all distances. I race long course with one water bottle BTA, one water bottle on the seat tube, and a rear mounted tool/tube bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tri nut I am looking to install brake adjusters on my rear brake fro my TM02 do you have any pictures of yours so I could see what part would fit and how to install it?

That would be much apreciated.
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything that has been said above, agree. This advice of good mechanic, yes 100% but it will be very costly every time you take it in for wheel swap. My bike shop was expensive for all of that and it adds up to cost of ownership. I have a 2013. thousands of miles and it is a great bike outside of brake calipers. Even front brake caliper centering and return are purely dependent of the job of routing the cable through. If you are not good with it, caliper return will suck.....
No Firecrest wheels in there in my opinion. It is just too tight. Folks here will tell you to shave brake pads.....that is not what you want to do with $10K bike, sorry, I differ from the rest. I raced on old Zipps to avoid that.
Bike travels well in Velosafe case, no issues.
I would not recommend it given the other choices that are now available. Integrated storage is nil. This bike was made for pro tour cycling not triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC TM01 Time Machine - need input please [buffalo_gab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You basically need bontrager xxx aero levers to replace what you have now
https://www.trekbikes.com/...er-xxx-aero/p/09848/

I had my LBS do it but if you know how to work on your bike, then should be easy to install.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014 for me.

1. PITA to me.. cable length has to just right.. that little u shaped tube is a pain to.. crank has to go off for that rear pad. I use a Super9 in the rear with really worn pads, I use a Corima 4spoke front.. it's not wide but if you were to use wide rims...again worn pads. I don't have much luck with 25c tires in the front.. the rear is ok.
2. Lots of parts, but not a big deal.
3. Have to be careful with the internal seat post clamp assembly.. there are stories on the net about the screw being to long and digging into carbon. I don't have that problem... but I still hate the damn thing. Otherwise the bike is solid.
4. yes, but if the 2017 version is faster.. I'll take that.
Quote Reply