Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Quote | Reply
Barrie Shepley's Canadian Male Rankings for 2014 Triathlete of the Year (and why).

2014 was a very solid year for Canadian Male Triathletes (particularly their long distance men). New faces moved up the rankings. Veteran faces moved from Olympic racing to 70.3 & Ironman. And some ITU athletes moved to non-drafting. While there can be a debate in the order, all of these men showed great distinction in 2014 with the hopes of even bigger seasons in 2015. Let it be known that Lionel Sanders, Andrew Yorke & Taylor Reid were in Barrie's club so that any bias is known up front.

CANADIAN TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR RANKINGS BY BARRIE SHEPLEY
#1. Lionel Sanders
#2. Brent McMahon
#3. Jeff Symonds
#4. Andrew Yorke
#5. Kyle Jones
#6. Trevor Wurtele
#7. Tyler Mislawchuk
#8. Alex Hinton
#9. Alexis Lepage
#10. Taylor Reid
* Matthew Shapre (was injured & did not race enough to properly assess his spot in the top 10).
Rookies on the rise:
a) Russell Pennock
b) Xavier Greneir Talvera

THE BATTLE FOR NUMBER ONE MALE TRIATHLETE IN CANADA
Never has there been a closer battle for the number one male triathlete of the year. See how close Lionel Sanders & Brent McMahon were in 2014. Brent won four 1/2 Ironman (70.3s). Lionel won four 1/2 Ironman (70.3s). Lionel had the best 70.3 of the year (4th) at the World 70.3 Championships where only Gomez, Frodeno & Don beat him (Brent had an off day in 14th place). The only other time they raced head to head Brent had a great 2nd place finish in Utah St George 70.3 (Jan Frodeno won that race) and Lionel was 18th place overall.

Lionel had 2 silvers at 70.3 (Raleigh & Syracuse) along with four victories at shorter Olympic & sprint domestic races. Lionel had his Ironman pro debut in Florida where he went 6hrs 58 minutes and won by 19 minutes over Tom Lowe (after the swim was cancelled). With Lionel's slower swim he would have expected to have finished in 7hrs 55 min on a very windy Ironman Florida race day. Three weeks later Brent won his Ironman debut in 7hrs 55 minutes in Ironman Arizona.

Pretty spectacular year for both men. Ironman wins. Four half Ironman wins. The only real difference between the two men was the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS where the BEST were tapered and ready for their A+ race. I would give Lionel the minuscule nod for Canada's male triathlete of the year based simply on his 5 minute victory over Brent on the 70.3 Worlds. Both men were simply Awesome.

THIRD THROUGH SIXTH PLACE

Jeff Symonds continues to rock with a victory in Penticton Challenge just two weeks after coming 2nd at Ironman Canada (and a 2hr 40min marathon). He finished the year off with a 7th at the half million dollar Bahran 70.3 race.

You could throw a towel over Kyle Jones and Andrew Yorke all season as they were Canada's only two consistent racers on the World Triathlon Circuit. Jones beat Yorke at the World Championships while Yorke beat Jones at the Commonwealth Games where he had his career best 4th place finish. Both Kyle & Andrew had wins & podiums at ITU Pt races in Florida, Quebec and Ontario. Jones spent much of the year fighting a blocked artery and now that the surgery is over, he is looking for big things in 2015. Both Jones & Yorke hope to be going after a medal at the 2015 Toronto Pan American Games.
Veteran Trevor Wurtele had a very workman like season. Always a threat, the incredible biker rode some of the top splits all year long. He had silver medal performances in Boise 70.3 and Mt Tremblant (non World race). Trevor's 3rd place at Ironman Chattanooga was the closest he got to an Ironman victory in 2013. Look for the veteran to continue big things in 2015.

7TH THROUGH THE ROOKIES

Tyler Mislawchuck was off in Hong Kong with Patrick Kelly early in 2014 and stated to show some big improvements. An unfortunate early season bike crash and broken jaw/teeth was a setback that altered what might have been a monster break through year. None the less, even with some physical setbacks and challenges with paper-work & lost bikes, Tyler still had 8th at world under 23 championships, 3rd at the World Team Championships, a 4th in Holten & 7th in Banyoles Spain.

Veteran Guelph athlete, Alex Hinton started the year off with a win in Bridgetown, 2nd in Toronto and 4th at the ITU Magog race. As a hit & miss swimmer, Alex missed the big swim in Edmonton and even his great run wasn't enough to get him past 19th place. With graduation around the corner, the Kingston rocket is sure to make even bigger performances in 2015.
Quebec have been creating some great youngster the last few years and Alexis Lepage is one of those young stars. He was top Canadian at the under 23 worlds (7th) place and was 5th in Toronto & was a member of the bronze medal Team in Edmonton.

Rounding out the top 10 Canadian Triathletes in 2014, is Taylor Reid. The one time Junior National Medalist and past under 23 National Champion made the move to non-drafting now that his under 23 career is over. It didn't take long for Reid to see success. In his first major race (TSN Chase in Saskatchewan) Reid rode through Jon Bird, Sean Bechtel, Jeff Symonds and 2x Olympian Brent McMahon to be the first man across the line. Reid had another ripper in New York City with a 4th place finish and ended the year with a 3hr 55 minute Half Ironman (70.3) in Miami. With his speed from ITU racing and his guts from chasing most of his under 23 career, the McMaster Cross Country Star is expected to do big things in 2015. Reid will graduate from McMaster in April and be a full time racing pro come May 1st.

YOUNG STUDS ON THE RISE

Alberta's Russell Pennock might be the rockstar for the future. His older sister, Ellen, has helped show her younger brother what is possible. Now back with his old coach Bart Ujack, anything is possible for Pennock. He was 5th at the World Junior Championships and winner of the National Championships and 4th at the North American Championships. Quebec's Xavier Grenier Talvera was the North American Champ, 4th at the Pan American Championships & 9th at the Edmonton World Championships.

I AM SURE I AM MISSING A FEW GREAT MEN
Its not easy to make a top 10 list. I have left Matt Sharpe off the list, simply because of a long-season that was injury plagued did not let him race up to his potential. None the less, when Canada needed Matt, he came up with a big leg on the team-relay for a 4th place team finish.

LOOKING FOR EVEN BIGGER THINGS IN 2015
There are numerous new names that I believe will emerge on the scene in 2015. Will this be the year that a number of Canadian men challenge for the Kona Title? Its been a long time since Peter Reid dominated in Hawaii. How about a medal at the Pan American Games in 2015? Kyle Jones has two fourth place finishes at his last two Pan American Games. Can Jones, or Yorke or a new face get a medal for Canada in Toronto in July? Lots of hard work occurring around North America over the next four months as we start to see which men will make my 2015 list. Congratulations to all athletes, coaches, clubs, sponsors and families who helped these amazing men achieve a great 2014.

TELL ME WHAT ATHLETE WAS MISSING OFF THE TOP 10 LIST AND IF YOU WEREN'T SELECTING LIONEL SANDERS WHICH CANADIAN WOULD YOU HAVE SELECTED?
Quote Reply
Re: BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started reading ST member Cody Beal's blog: http://codybeals.blogspot.ca/

He seems to be progressing well and ran Lionel close in a couple ON races. Maybe I'm not putting the performances in context though?

Do you have a ladies list too?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachbarrie wrote:
Barrie Shepley's Canadian Male Rankings for 2014 Triathlete of the Year (and why).

2014 was a very solid year for Canadian Male Triathletes (particularly their long distance men). New faces moved up the rankings. Veteran faces moved from Olympic racing to 70.3 & Ironman. And some ITU athletes moved to non-drafting. While there can be a debate in the order, all of these men showed great distinction in 2014 with the hopes of even bigger seasons in 2015. Let it be known that Lionel Sanders, Andrew Yorke & Taylor Reid were in Barrie's club so that any bias is known up front.

CANADIAN TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR RANKINGS BY BARRIE SHEPLEY
#1. Lionel Sanders
#2. Brent McMahon
#3. Jeff Symonds
#4. Andrew Yorke
#5. Kyle Jones
#6. Trevor Wurtele
#7. Tyler Mislawchuk
#8. Alex Hinton
#9. Alexis Lepage
#10. Taylor Reid
* Matthew Shapre (was injured & did not race enough to properly assess his spot in the top 10).
Rookies on the rise:
a) Russell Pennock
b) Xavier Greneir Talvera

THE BATTLE FOR NUMBER ONE MALE TRIATHLETE IN CANADA
Never has there been a closer battle for the number one male triathlete of the year. See how close Lionel Sanders & Brent McMahon were in 2014. Brent won four 1/2 Ironman (70.3s). Lionel won four 1/2 Ironman (70.3s). Lionel had the best 70.3 of the year (4th) at the World 70.3 Championships where only Gomez, Frodeno & Don beat him (Brent had an off day in 14th place). The only other time they raced head to head Brent had a great 2nd place finish in Utah St George 70.3 (Jan Frodeno won that race) and Lionel was 18th place overall.

Lionel had 2 silvers at 70.3 (Raleigh & Syracuse) along with four victories at shorter Olympic & sprint domestic races. Lionel had his Ironman pro debut in Florida where he went 6hrs 58 minutes and won by 19 minutes over Tom Lowe (after the swim was cancelled). With Lionel's slower swim he would have expected to have finished in 7hrs 55 min on a very windy Ironman Florida race day. Three weeks later Brent won his Ironman debut in 7hrs 55 minutes in Ironman Arizona.

Pretty spectacular year for both men. Ironman wins. Four half Ironman wins. The only real difference between the two men was the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS where the BEST were tapered and ready for their A+ race. I would give Lionel the minuscule nod for Canada's male triathlete of the year based simply on his 5 minute victory over Brent on the 70.3 Worlds. Both men were simply Awesome.

THIRD THROUGH SIXTH PLACE

Jeff Symonds continues to rock with a victory in Penticton Challenge just two weeks after coming 2nd at Ironman Canada (and a 2hr 40min marathon). He finished the year off with a 7th at the half million dollar Bahran 70.3 race.

You could throw a towel over Kyle Jones and Andrew Yorke all season as they were Canada's only two consistent racers on the World Triathlon Circuit. Jones beat Yorke at the World Championships while Yorke beat Jones at the Commonwealth Games where he had his career best 4th place finish. Both Kyle & Andrew had wins & podiums at ITU Pt races in Florida, Quebec and Ontario. Jones spent much of the year fighting a blocked artery and now that the surgery is over, he is looking for big things in 2015. Both Jones & Yorke hope to be going after a medal at the 2015 Toronto Pan American Games.
Veteran Trevor Wurtele had a very workman like season. Always a threat, the incredible biker rode some of the top splits all year long. He had silver medal performances in Boise 70.3 and Mt Tremblant (non World race). Trevor's 3rd place at Ironman Chattanooga was the closest he got to an Ironman victory in 2013. Look for the veteran to continue big things in 2015.

7TH THROUGH THE ROOKIES

Tyler Mislawchuck was off in Hong Kong with Patrick Kelly early in 2014 and stated to show some big improvements. An unfortunate early season bike crash and broken jaw/teeth was a setback that altered what might have been a monster break through year. None the less, even with some physical setbacks and challenges with paper-work & lost bikes, Tyler still had 8th at world under 23 championships, 3rd at the World Team Championships, a 4th in Holten & 7th in Banyoles Spain.

Veteran Guelph athlete, Alex Hinton started the year off with a win in Bridgetown, 2nd in Toronto and 4th at the ITU Magog race. As a hit & miss swimmer, Alex missed the big swim in Edmonton and even his great run wasn't enough to get him past 19th place. With graduation around the corner, the Kingston rocket is sure to make even bigger performances in 2015.
Quebec have been creating some great youngster the last few years and Alexis Lepage is one of those young stars. He was top Canadian at the under 23 worlds (7th) place and was 5th in Toronto & was a member of the bronze medal Team in Edmonton.

Rounding out the top 10 Canadian Triathletes in 2014, is Taylor Reid. The one time Junior National Medalist and past under 23 National Champion made the move to non-drafting now that his under 23 career is over. It didn't take long for Reid to see success. In his first major race (TSN Chase in Saskatchewan) Reid rode through Jon Bird, Sean Bechtel, Jeff Symonds and 2x Olympian Brent McMahon to be the first man across the line. Reid had another ripper in New York City with a 4th place finish and ended the year with a 3hr 55 minute Half Ironman (70.3) in Miami. With his speed from ITU racing and his guts from chasing most of his under 23 career, the McMaster Cross Country Star is expected to do big things in 2015. Reid will graduate from McMaster in April and be a full time racing pro come May 1st.

YOUNG STUDS ON THE RISE

Alberta's Russell Pennock might be the rockstar for the future. His older sister, Ellen, has helped show her younger brother what is possible. Now back with his old coach Bart Ujack, anything is possible for Pennock. He was 5th at the World Junior Championships and winner of the National Championships and 4th at the North American Championships. Quebec's Xavier Grenier Talvera was the North American Champ, 4th at the Pan American Championships & 9th at the Edmonton World Championships.

I AM SURE I AM MISSING A FEW GREAT MEN
Its not easy to make a top 10 list. I have left Matt Sharpe off the list, simply because of a long-season that was injury plagued did not let him race up to his potential. None the less, when Canada needed Matt, he came up with a big leg on the team-relay for a 4th place team finish.

LOOKING FOR EVEN BIGGER THINGS IN 2015
There are numerous new names that I believe will emerge on the scene in 2015. Will this be the year that a number of Canadian men challenge for the Kona Title? Its been a long time since Peter Reid dominated in Hawaii. How about a medal at the Pan American Games in 2015? Kyle Jones has two fourth place finishes at his last two Pan American Games. Can Jones, or Yorke or a new face get a medal for Canada in Toronto in July? Lots of hard work occurring around North America over the next four months as we start to see which men will make my 2015 list. Congratulations to all athletes, coaches, clubs, sponsors and families who helped these amazing men achieve a great 2014.

TELL ME WHAT ATHLETE WAS MISSING OFF THE TOP 10 LIST AND IF YOU WEREN'T SELECTING LIONEL SANDERS WHICH CANADIAN WOULD YOU HAVE SELECTED?

Nice list. I have competed with a bunch and they are all super nice, but I'm the biggest fan of Symonds rhymes with Dimonds. Just a genuinely good dude with a serious, yet super laid-back attitude.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his name is going to come up many times. I have had about 5 emails since I put my list out and I am embarrassed that I forgot him off my list. He was certainly worthy & just kept getting better all year long. No question he will be a factor in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure your not going to find anyone who doesn't love Jeff. Anyone who can get up off a bike crash & still run his way to an Ironman Canada win a year ago, covered in blood is a stud. I am sure he will eventually become the mayor of Penticton. A truly exceptional guy and his break through Bronze Medal at the 70.3 Worlds a few years ago gave everyone an indication of what kind of athlete he was (is) going to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like LS and Brent will be looking to get points for Kona next year (or have a lot already), what about Symonds? I don't think he is targeting that race in 2015. Great list by the way, I would go with others though and throw Cody in there.

Thoughts?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coachbarrie wrote:
Pretty sure your not going to find anyone who doesn't love Jeff. Anyone who can get up off a bike crash & still run his way to an Ironman Canada win a year ago, covered in blood is a stud. I am sure he will eventually become the mayor of Penticton. A truly exceptional guy and his break through Bronze Medal at the 70.3 Worlds a few years ago gave everyone an indication of what kind of athlete he was (is) going to be.

Forget that, I vote Jeff for Governor General! That's the ultimate position for a Canadian nice guy...but I agree with having him 3rd on your list and of your top 2, as you mentioned, Sanders taking 4th gives him the ever so slight nod over McMahon. Solid years for both men.
Quote Reply
Re: BARRIE SHEPLEY'S TOP 10 SELECTION FOR CANADIAN MALE TRIATHLETE OF THE YEAR [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Brent's 2015 objectives. Lionel's #1 goal is Kona 2015. Everything else will be building towards that race. Based on last year's Kona Pts, Lionels is pretty much already over the minimal threshold of points required to get into Kona 2015 & he has done his validation race in Florida. Brent has his validation race, a ton of points and if he wants to be in Kona he will for sure. In Jeff's case he has the talent for sure. But he might rather win some of those big BC races (IMC & Challenge Penticton). The timing of those races aren't optimal for him and Kona preparation. None the less. Toss in Trevor and Canada has their strongest ever 4 man Ironman contingent in the same era. Peter Reid didn't really have 2-3 others to compete with from Canada, when he was winning all his Ironman races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was on the main page here (interview) that Brent expressed that he was looking at Kona for next year, likely he ail get the points. Not sure about Jeff, he would have easily gotten the points a few years ago, and wouldn't have trouble now. Perhaps he is looking at some of the money races for a few years.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to wonder if any of the Kona plans will change With the announcement of the big dollar challenge races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stefan Daniel Jr/ParaTri.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elliott Holtham ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Honestly - who gives a shit about Canada? 😳

<Pink>
Quote Reply