Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant)
Quote | Reply
This was my 4th time doing B2B. I love it. Here's my RR:

Had a child almost 3 months ago. Training was essentially nonexistent. Maybe an average of one workout per week, if I was lucky. So went in with no expectations.

Swim: 28:06, 8th in my AG. Love this swim.
T1: 3:02 2nd in AG. I never have fast transitions. Ever. I'm happy with this.
Bike: 2:37:50 12th. Wanted to take it really easy, stay between 158-162 NP. Ended at 162. Works for me.
T2: 3:32 23rd. Bag was misplaced and spent half that time running around looking for it.
Run: 2:11:18. Slowest half I've ever "run". But whatever, longest run I've done since late June was 5 miles. Overall I'm happy with my race.

Rant time:

At mile 9 I saw a guy sitting on the curb holding his leg with his head on his knee. He obviously wasn't resting. I came up to him and asked if he was ok, and he said he heard his leg "snap". He moved his hands and there was a big indentation where his shin should be smooth. He had KT tape on, so it was a pretty safe assumption that he had shin splints (and/or stress fracture) that he ran into a real fracture. I made him stay on the curb, because he kept trying to get up. Flagged down a car (the first 3 thought I was just waving at them, apparently), and couldn't get through to 911. So the woman offered to drive him to the med tent at the finish line.

She was awesome. Of the 50+ athletes that ran by him (and that's just what I saw) not one asked if he was ok. I know this for a fact because he told me when I checked on him after the race.

So, anyway, what was an otherwise beautiful day (I didn't know about the swim death till later) had this sour taste to it from watching people just ignore this guy. Sometimes triathletes really are the worst people.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your the man for stopping to help him, seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, the OP is a man???? I thought the OP had just given birth 3 months ago.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not following....
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assuming it was the wife that had the baby. OP's a dude.

Good on ya for helping. Seriously.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind, these are triathletes you are talking about, probably racing like maniacs for 500th place. Good for you for stopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it an African American male? The timing would work as your first two splits and mine are near enough I think I saw the same thing. If it's the same guy, he passed me on the run, and then apparently pulled up lame. I thought it was cramping, and saw him sort of run/walking/hobbling which he must have done for a couple of miles, because I saw him with the lady at the van around mile 8 or 9 after the turnaround. I wonder why he just didn't stop at one of the aid stations...guess he was going to try to get through it until the 'snap'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yournotunique wrote:
This was my 4th time doing B2B. I love it. Here's my RR:

Had a child almost 3 months ago. Training was essentially nonexistent. Maybe an average of one workout per week, if I was lucky. So went in with no expectations.

Swim: 28:06, 8th in my AG. Love this swim.
T1: 3:02 2nd in AG. I never have fast transitions. Ever. I'm happy with this.
Bike: 2:37:50 12th. Wanted to take it really easy, stay between 158-162 NP. Ended at 162. Works for me.
T2: 3:32 23rd. Bag was misplaced and spent half that time running around looking for it.
Run: 2:11:18. Slowest half I've ever "run". But whatever, longest run I've done since late June was 5 miles. Overall I'm happy with my race.

Rant time:

At mile 9 I saw a guy sitting on the curb holding his leg with his head on his knee. He obviously wasn't resting. I came up to him and asked if he was ok, and he said he heard his leg "snap". He moved his hands and there was a big indentation where his shin should be smooth. He had KT tape on, so it was a pretty safe assumption that he had shin splints (and/or stress fracture) that he ran into a real fracture. I made him stay on the curb, because he kept trying to get up. Flagged down a car (the first 3 thought I was just waving at them, apparently), and couldn't get through to 911. So the woman offered to drive him to the med tent at the finish line.

She was awesome. Of the 50+ athletes that ran by him (and that's just what I saw) not one asked if he was ok. I know this for a fact because he told me when I checked on him after the race.

So, anyway, what was an otherwise beautiful day (I didn't know about the swim death till later) had this sour taste to it from watching people just ignore this guy. Sometimes triathletes really are the worst people.

"your" the man.
i didn't see him, but it's good to know he got medical attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I did B2B in 2012, a lady got hit by a truck on that last stretch of congested road before heading over the bridge into downtown and T2. Several people stopped and hung around in order to be give the police their info as witnesses. So, you know, we're not <i>all</i> a$$holes....

Also, the lady who got hit managed to get back on her bike and finish the race.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Half RR - short read (and mini rant) [1shogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that was him. Turned out he was the runner for a PPD relay team; he and his riding partner both had British accents, if that might help with any ID. And he was being a little stubborn. Kept trying to get up to continue, but it was pretty clear that the bone wasn't where it was supposed to be. That car was actually the 3rd that came by. The first two just thought I was waving - waved at me and drove past, lol.

He had KT tape, and mentioned in the med tent, afterwards, that he had been dealing with shin splints. That would explain the limping before the breaking.

To the other posts: yes, I'm a man. Yes, it was my wife that had the baby. But, it's pretty much a two person job at this point. And yes, I know it should be "you're". Check my signature. Also, thanks for the "good on/for you" stuff, but I wasn't trying to brag, just ranting at the myopic and selfish behavior of other people. I do know that it's not *all* triathletes, it just happened to be almost all of the ones that happened to be around for this incident.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply