Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Avacados [IM2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...because even good healthy fat is still fat and fat is fattening.
Hey crackerjack, fat isn't fattening - calories are, and only excess calories at that. If you intake only 500 calories a day, mostly from fat, you won't gain a pound. Calories are fuel, and when you take in more than you burn, they are stored. Stored calories = weight gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to alarm you dog owners, but both avacados and tomatoes contain substances which are toxic to dogs. Avacados contain persin which can damage the heart and lungs in dogs. Tomatoes contain atropene which can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias.
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [swimfan.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crackerjack. LOL. You're my favorite swimfan impersonator!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, we have it fenced off but when it come to food he is unstoppable. He is like a bear who smells food! I caught him yesterday, after hearing a comotion which was him trampling the wire fence, knawing on a green pepper! I guess we need to build a real fence....
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, thank you very much...I'll be here all week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love crackerjacks.

wait. what were we talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [Juno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of fiber. Like 15g per avo. I always add them to monster salads and anything else I can.

Kev
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think swimfan (or the other swimfan) was talking about dogs who eat crackerjack off the ground??? I may be wrong, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm. interesting. let's say a dog eats a crackerjack off the floor. would that dog die?
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm really confused. Let's ask one of the swimfans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread as my dinner tonight will consists of fresh made guac and chips from the world's greatest Mexican restaurant...pretty much satisfies my sodium and and fat intake for the year...yum...

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yummm.... I've even ate avacado sandwiches as my feel good food for Ironman's.

Good for you? Well, the amino's are HUGE... it is a VERY caloric dense food.

Bad for you? Well, if you need caloric dense food... then yes it is very good for you. If your a couch potato... well, like I mentioned... it is caloric dense. So... if your a couch potato then avacodo's are not the best food choice.

I love them myself... specially avacado dip... yummmm...

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your point here, but Broccoli? Man, I'd really have to see that to believe it. To me, this seems like one of those foods that you almost couldn't eat enough of to gain any weight (low in calories, high in fiber, a lot of work to consume).

Care to test out your theory? However you'd have to eat actual fresh broccoli, no using the blender or anything like that.

Re: Avacados [rpombrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, too much broccoli is toxic to the body, in the form of a vitamin C overdose. It can lead to kidney stones, b-12 deficiency, copper deficiency and can also affect metabolism, increasing the need for exygen in working muscles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But fat is calorie dense and foods that are higher in fat and lower in fiber have rated much lower on a satiety scale. IN other words you need to eat more fat calories to feel full. One example that comes to mind is a snickers bar versus 4 oranges. Same calories, but far different volume.

In tests with ad libitum calorie intake where subjects are allowed to eat until they feel full, the calories are always lower when the percent of fat intake is lower. People eat until they feel full - not when they have had enough calories.

There is a lot of strong research that shows that correlates a lower BMI with a lower fat intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [PoolDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But fat is calorie dense and foods that are higher in fat and lower in fiber have rated much lower on a satiety scale. IN other words you need to eat more fat calories to feel full.

Good effort PoolDog, but you've got your facts backwards, at least according to current physiology research.

Lipid (fat) is the ultimate diet supressor. Fat is energy rich - full of energy containing hydrogen bonds in the molecule itself - and because of this it takes about 3.5 hours for lipid to begin moving from the stomach. It has a very high coefficient of digestability, meaning that most of the calories in this energy rich macronutirent are harvested through cellular respiration during the enzymatic process. Basically, it sits in your stomach, and makes you feel full immediately and for the next few hours before moving onward in the tour. It indirectly triggers the release of seratonin, ineffect telling your brain that you are full.

Conversely, fiber is relatively undigestable for humans relative to lipids (fat), relatively empty in terms of its caloric content, and moves very fast through the GI tract. It has a very low coefficient of digestability - it will not and can not make you fat because it is relatively empty in calories - but also serves to move bolus (food) through the intestine quickly, of course "cleaning the tubes" as it does so.

In Lehmans terms, it takes a big bowl of bran flakes or a small donut to yield the same effect in terms of satiety.

McArdle, Katch & Katch, Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance, 6th ed, 2005, pp 21, 84.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True enough, good point.

Quote | Reply
Yeah! What GearGrinder said! Thanks GG, you just saved me from death by brocoli as I was about to prove that crackerjack rpombrio wrong... :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even Seinfeld makes fun of Broccoli...Newman calls it the "vile weed."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sadly have to agree with this incarnation of Swimfan. Early in the season I was trying to loose a few pounds, mostly by decreasing my caloric intake throughout the day. But one thing I was doing initially was eating a very low-fat diet. after a couple weeks, I just felt hungry all the time. No matter how much I'd eaten. But as soon as I ate something, even a small meal which had a little more fat, I felt full. I still avoid fats certain times of the day, or immediately after a workout. But mid day, bring on the avos.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Even Seinfeld makes fun of Broccoli...Newman calls it the "vile weed."[/reply]

And look at Newman. A ham-eating lard ass. He looks like he's on the Morgan Spurlock diet.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of fox squirrels have died raiding my friend's avocado tree. Therefore, I conclude that avocadoes are worth dying for.

Recreational racer slaying blog:

http://rrslayer.blogspot.com

Ad blocking filters for cycling websites:

http://home.comcast.net/...omitron_cycling.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're good, no question. Just moderate, like everything else.

Why in my life I must have eaten 6.02 x 10 to the 23rd of them.

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Avacados [RayPlotecia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why in my life I must have eaten 6.02 x 10 to the 23rd of them"

LOL!!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to eat so many of them in Miami... people used to bring me tons from their backyard... those huge ones with the shiny skin. Great with a little lemon juice and salt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next