Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin or Miami for a 70.3?
Quote | Reply
My friend and I are looking at signing up for a 70.3 later this year. We live in Atlanta but we missed the boat for Augusta, so the closest ones seem to be Austin and Miami on Oct 26. Anyone around here done both? Which is the best course? The best all-around experience? Neither of us will be competitive, just looking to do the distance and have fun.

The courses both seem relatively "easy" -- based on the elevation profile for Austin it looks like I get twice the elevation gain on my rides on the Silver Comet Trail, and I thought that was flat. I haven't found elevation data on Miami, but I imagine it's about as flat as you can get.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Austin or Miami for a 70.3? [thanimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miami 70.3 bike is totaly flat, the run has a few trips over a decent size bidge - I think last years version was 4 times over the bridge, previous years it had been 8 times over. Temparature is the biggest issue as the majority of the run is on the causeway with no shade at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:
My friend and I are looking at signing up for a 70.3 later this year. We live in Atlanta but we missed the boat for Augusta, so the closest ones seem to be Austin and Miami on Oct 26. Anyone around here done both? Which is the best course? The best all-around experience? Neither of us will be competitive, just looking to do the distance and have fun.

The courses both seem relatively "easy" -- based on the elevation profile for Austin it looks like I get twice the elevation gain on my rides on the Silver Comet Trail, and I thought that was flat. I haven't found elevation data on Miami, but I imagine it's about as flat as you can get.

Thoughts?

I missed the Augusta sign up as well, but I will be in Austin for the 70.3 race in October.

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Re: Austin or Miami for a 70.3? [tskough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Austin a few times but I'd never do it if I didn't live here. For such a wonderful city they picked the absolute worst part of town and the crappiest roads for a race. The roads are full of cracks, potholes, and chipseal. The last 10 or so miles is on a two lane highway with a minimal shoulder that is still open to traffic on race day. It's out in the country but it's not the scenic hill country you'd expect. The run is three loops through park roads and parking lot. Nothing scenic at all, which is a real shame in such a great city.

I've never done Miami but a friend who has, and lived in Austin, loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both and would pick Miami over Austin for sure. First, the race is not really in Austin, it's in Decker, which is a really bad part of town. Second, the swim is in a power plant lake with tons of hydrilla weeds. Third, the roads are totally trashed on the bike. Fourth, the run is nothing to write home about. I'd only pick Austin if you were a Texas resident and driving to both was the main variable. Miami swim is nice. Expo is fun and outdoors. Bike is flat out and back with decent roads. Run was nice too with a little bridge you climb up and over 4 times. Miami is also a faster course if time is important to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin is a good race but does have some drawbacks. Bike is really a country road ride which has mostly decent roads and some rough ones. Not as bad as everyone says but it is not smooth tarmac either. Run is a loop with a couple of decent hills, coming from ATL they should be OK for you but they can be quad killers. Finish is in an Arena and probably the best finish experience I have had if that matters to you.

Austin is great place to travel to and late October is a great time to come to Austin. Never done Miami but I am sure that would be fun as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done Miami so I can't compare the two, but I did race Austin last year and won't be coming back.

It just didn't feel like a WTC race..it was a second rate venue.

Crappy first ten+ miles of the bike course.
Short run (12.85).
Thorns in the transition area that would flatten tires so you had to carry your bike out.
A muddy exit from transition that caused folks to have to stop and clean the crap out of their cleats so they could snap in.
The race finished in an old beaten down rodeo arena...crap was falling off the ceilings.

I left Austin feeling..... "meh"

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There seems to be a consensus forming. Any drawbacks to Miami other than the heat and run over the bridge? Or any superlatives to mention about either race/venue/city that might make up for the drawbacks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:
There seems to be a consensus forming. Any drawbacks to Miami other than the heat and run over the bridge? Or any superlatives to mention about either race/venue/city that might make up for the drawbacks?

Well, it depends on the person, but for a "destination" race, i prefer a lake swim over an open water...I dont want to train all year to have the swim cancelled, shortened, or swim in 5ft chop.

Miami's swim is protected, but with hurricane season, you do run the risk of a bad swim/bad weather....Of course this is true for any race but I think you see my point.

It sounds like Miami is superior to Austin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I haven't done the Austin 70.3 but I had the pleasure of doing Miami last year.

Swim - protected bay and not many waves. A one loop course which I felt was well spread and not many times did i find myself surrounded by other swimmers.

Bike - flat and fast. There isn't much of a view during the ride as most of it will be done on the highway headed north which all it has are trees. Expect drafting by many as not enough referees. Course is well taken care of for the most part and enjoyable ride. Wind can def be strong on some days and last year we got a headwind on the way back.

Run - No much shade and some parts are nice next to the stadium and routes where you will have much support from the crowd, but you will have the bridge to go over twice (two loop course).

Overall i was satisfied with the atmosphere and how it was carried. coming from out of state i think its a great location and many things to do to enjoy yourself before and after the race. Any other questions let me know.

PS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:

Absolute utter draft fest....
However, if you go, go to Garcia's on the river. Fantastic key lime pie, and I don't even like KLP... And Versailles in little cuba
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 22, 14 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanimal wrote:

I was hit with a facefull of seaweed a couple of times on the swim. You have to cross train tracks a few times and not all of them were covered. As everyone has said, the bike is flat and fast but not very interesting. I hated that damned bridge!

On the plus side, there is a cruise ship terminal right there and my wife and I went on a 4 day Bahamas cruise as recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the exact same boat. I just assumed, foolishly, that Augusta would still be open when I finally went to sign up.

Coincidentally I also live in Atlanta. And was going to post a thread asking for input on two races. Except mine are Miami and Beach to Battleship.

My first thought is B2B, but we have family in south Florida so that will factor in.

Miami does sound boring and potentially hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to travel, do the new Tahoe 70.3.

I can't imagine flying to Austin for the Austin 70.3. It's not really in Austin, just near it. I liked to race, but I was driving distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin or Miami for a 70.3? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Miami last year, and it was a fun race. There was a ton of drafting, and a few rough spots on the bike. I bounced both my rear bottles out in the first 10 minutes of the bike. A very nice guy who rode my wheel the whole time offered me a bottle, an extremely funny situation. I passed, and he dropped right back to my wheel. The bridge on the run is not fun, but otherwise the run isn't bad. It's the easiest 70.3 I've done, but I've only done Miami, StCroix and SanJuan.
I'm planning on racing it again, so I guess that says something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done both. Definitely throw in a vote for Miami. Much better race all around.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Austin or Miami for a 70.3? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's nearly unanimous that Miami is the better M-dot branded race, but the Beach 2 Battleship was a good suggestion -- much closer to Atlanta and cheaper. Does anyone know of other 70.3 distance races closer to Atlanta that would be worth considering. I know there's the Rev3 Anderson around the same time as the others; anyone have experience there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Rev3 Anderson last year, and (having lived in Austin for the last 20 years) it's a much better race experience. If you can live without the m-dot/wtc branding, that is. The bike is actually scenic, nice rolling Carolina countryside. The roads and scenery out east here (Austin) aren't even in the same league. Run is through neighborhood-style areas, 2 loops, again much nicer (visually) than between Decker Lake and Convention Center. Support on-course was great, as was finish line area. The biggest drawback, IMO, is travel. We flew into ATL, and with traffic it took 3-4+ hours driving each way.

- S
Quote Reply