Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin Training Logistics
Quote | Reply
I am moving to Austin in 1.5 months, leaving the cold winters of the northeast behind, can't wait. I am moving 2 months prior to racing IMMD, not the best time to move but trying to make best of it.
I have read through some threads and talked with some of the bike shops down in Austin. Any further help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Things i already know:
-- Barton Springs has great spot for outdoor swimming and swimming pools don't seem to hard to find.
-- Driveway series looks really cool.
-- Downtown river trail seems to be some of the best running seems to be about a 12 mile loupe?
-- Parmer Lane to the south gives a nice out and back and cars thin out after a few miles.
What I am trying to figure out and am looking for:
-- Bike routes that are as car free as possible (don't mind driving to a starting point).
-- Bike routes 60-120 miles, don't mind doing loupes.
-- Any spots were you can get a bike and run in from the same starting point.
-- Any spots were you can get a bike, run, swim in from the same starting point.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jealous.

As far as bike/tri shops, Jack and Adams is where it's at. I think good training spots all depend on where you live/work since traffic getting through the city is miserable.

lf you can swing it with work/commute, I recommend living just south of Town Lake so you enjoy the trail around Town Lake, Barton Springs, easy access to the Dam Loop west of downtown: https://www.strava.com/activities/121844304

If you live North of the city, Parmer goes on and on headed North with some gently rolling hills and nothing serious that will be good IMMD training. https://www.strava.com/activities/127829617. The gym Pure Austin up there is also pretty sweet with a good open water venue though over-priced.

Or you could go crazy and do both routes in one like I did here :) https://www.strava.com/activities/154113818

I miss Austin during the months from Sept-March. Also Torchys and decent BBQ. Otherwise, god speed with that heat.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-- Downtown river trail seems to be some of the best running seems to be about a 12 mile loupe? - it's actually a 10mile loop, but you can extend on the far east end, and you can connect to the Shoal Creek trail and the Greenbelt from it to add variety

-- Parmer Lane to the south gives a nice out and back and cars thin out after a few miles. - Parmer is in South Dallas (or North Austin if you live way up there). It's an ok route

-- Bike routes that are as car free as possible (don't mind driving to a starting point). Go east, South, Southwest and South East from downtown and you can find quiet country roads, west is the hill country and rides to Round Mountain or Johnson City are great 100 mile options.

-- Bike routes 60-120 miles, don't mind doing loupes. See above, but there is the Dam loop (a bit busy in places), Lime Creek and a few others on the west side. Going S, SE, SW and E offer dozens of options and there are many groups from the bike shops that you can ride with to learn the best roads.

-- Any spots were you can get a bike and run in from the same starting point. You can start from many downtown bike shops (ATC, MJs, J&As), all of which are within a few blocks of the Town Lake trail.

-- Any spots were you can get a bike, run, swim in from the same starting point. You can swim at BS, ride from there and run the TL trail, easy peasy.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I live in Austin.

Are you going to work while living in Austin, or just train full-time?

This is important because traffic is bad, so a long commute every day will waste training time. If you have to work, do you already have a job or are you going to find one after you get here?
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [banzai_atx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
banzai_atx wrote:
I live in Austin.

Are you going to work while living in Austin, or just train full-time?

This is important because traffic is bad, so a long commute every day will waste training time. If you have to work, do you already have a job or are you going to find one after you get here?

Coming from a major city, I do not think traffic is bad in Austin. Yes it might take you 30 minutes to drive 10 miles in rush hour, but that's nothing compared to NYC, LA, Chicago or other major metro area where it might take 2-3x as long.

People in Austin love to complain about traffic and it's really not that bad IMO

I do agree that no traffic at all is much preferable, and if you can minimize your commute that's advantageous
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that Austin traffic is not the worst in the country and that the goal is minimize commute time and maximize training time and training quality.

I trained for Ironman living right next to Zilker Park for half a year (prime tri training location) then moved up to Howard and Mopac suburbia. Both areas let me ride 100 mile loops right out of my apartment, had plenty of room for running, and plenty of pools. Moving up north reduced my commute by 30 minutes each way and cut my rent in half due to way less sexy zipcode. Training quality was not reduced. That may be of value to some people.

The OP wants the most bang for the buck in Austin, so constraints like work location are important details for me to understand so that I can provide my best suggestions We are all trying to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [banzai_atx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Opening a 2 dental offices but still have the luxury of organizing my work schedule around my training schedule. The month of Aug i will not be working at all so taking that time to get some big/high milage training weeks in with one trip back to northeast to race Timberman.

So far in my visits to Austin i have not found traffic to be near as bad as Boston, yes its not great, but its better then Boston. Like you if i lived up north commute would be cut down by 20 min. I still plan on weekday rides to be on trainer and hit up long workouts outdoors on fridays and sundays.

The gf wants to be close to downtown, i wanted up north and cheaper rent.....means we are living downtown next to Zilker since my views don't seem to carry much weight.

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Jun 9, 15 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great stuff thank you...looks like your racing tri rock in sept, see you out there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread, as I am moving to Austin in a few weeks and was wondering about some of your original questions!
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first, the required response. don't move here! ;)

mvenneta wrote:
banzai_atx wrote:

People in Austin love to complain about traffic and it's really not that bad IMO

I do agree that no traffic at all is much preferable, and if you can minimize your commute that's advantageous

did you live here before traffic got bad? The city has quickly outgrown its infrastructure, but that's a different discussion altogether. You are correct that its not LA traffic, but traffic sucks way worse than it use to. I lived in austin, moved to NYC, and now I'm back....so I get big city traffic.

Anyway, the above is correct in that traffic can eat up a lot of your training time. I commute via bike to/from work several days a week to offset. I'm lucky enough that i can ride mostly traffic-free, in bike lanes, and on wide shoulders almost all they way to/from work.

If you are looking for a mostly traffic-free ride, the dam loop is NOT it. I like riding it, but there's a lot of traffic out there. I ride parmer a lot b/c after you get north of 1431, the traffic starts to thin out. Plus, the extension is done all the way up to 35, and there a plenty of routes you can split off to add mileage.

I like Pure Quarry lake, alot. Its expensive for austin, yes, but it is cheaper than any gym I had in NYC. Access to the lake/pool and fairly easy access to the Dam loop and Parmer from that location make swim/bike easy. I have several good (very hilly) routes from the gym to run as well. Doesn't take long to get away from traffic. You can even get to trails fairly easily from Pure too. I live up north though, so its convenient. If I lived south, it wouldn't be useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I am moving to Austin in 1.5 months, leaving the cold winters of the northeast behind, can't wait. I am moving 2 months prior to racing IMMD, not the best time to move but trying to make best of it.
I have read through some threads and talked with some of the bike shops down in Austin. Any further help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Things i already know:
-- Barton Springs has great spot for outdoor swimming and swimming pools don't seem to hard to find.
Barton Springs is great, but every time it rains, it has to close for runoff flooding. It is currently closed indefinitely I believe until floodwaters return to normal levels. It does rain here actually. Other pools are Deep Eddy (33 1/3 yards), Big Stacy, and several gyms. I swim at the YMCA on Town Lake and its pretty good as well as indoors and open year round. A lot of community outdoor pools are free when they open for the summer.
-- Driveway series looks really cool.
Fun but dangerous. Lots of fun. Make sure you know how to handle in a pack or you will crash and people will be angry.
-- Downtown river trail seems to be some of the best running seems to be about a 12 mile loupe?
Lake is a great place to run. The entire loop is 10 miles, but you can make smaller loops by crossing back at Lamar, Congress, 1st, I35. Also connects to Shoal Creek and the Barton Creek Greenbelt.
-- Parmer Lane to the south gives a nice out and back and cars thin out after a few miles.
Parmer is actually north, but a good ride regardless. Kind of rolling hills, not too much traffic, huge shoulder, and a pretty long road start to end.
-- Bike routes that are as car free as possible (don't mind driving to a starting point).
Riding up north is usually less crowded and can give you a good mix of really steep climbs, rollers, or flat straight roads. Take your road bike out on some group rides. Look up the Austin Tri Cyclist blog and there is a recent post about every group ride in Austin.
-- Bike routes 60-120 miles, don't mind doing loupes.
Parmer, anywhere southeast past towards the airport and 130, way south, way north. The trick is just getting out to a lot of these rides. Riding on 360 is hairy and lots of traffic.
-- Any spots were you can get a bike and run in from the same starting point.
See bellow.
-- Any spots were you can get a bike, run, swim in from the same starting point.
You can swim at Walter E Long lake and bike and run from there (Northeast), Barton Springs you can do all 3 if you don't mind riding out from downtown or on a lot of hills. The Pure Austin Quarry Lake is good (northwest). Technically you can bike/run anywhere if you're not picky on running locations :)

Other notes:
-get on group rides, its a great way to learn the city layout for cycling as well as meet other people
-there are a lot of running groups to choose from as well
-Austin Tri Cyclist (ATC) is an awesome triathlon specific bike shop (also does road, mountain and cross). Good group of guys pretty close to the cycling and triathlon community. They have good group rides and runs throughout the week too. I also work there but of course I'm not biased. Its also right down the street from the Zilker area since you said you were probably living there. Also beer Friday.
-If you do strength training (and you should), I work at a small gym downtown called Driven Performance Training where I do personal training and also do triathlon coaching (drivenperformance.net, drivenendurance.net, robert@drivenperformance.net). You should check it out :)
-its a cool place to live for endurance athletes. Lots of people to train with, lots of good local races, good places to train, and tacos.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
its a cool place to live for endurance athletes. Lots of people to train with, lots of good local races, good places to train, and tacos.

and beer. LOTS of beer. but that can be bad for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool thanks, yea been ATC seems like good group of guys. A talked with the bike shops about group rides and all the group rides seemed like they were 20-35 miles tops?

Beer and good Tacos are my main reason for moving!

Quote Reply
Re: Austin Training Logistics [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, PureAustin looks pretty cool! There own lake! Coming from boston there rates seem cheap!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the group rides are under 50 for the most part yeah, so to get long long miles, you'd have to add on. Some shops occasionally do organized long mileage too though. Some of those shorter rides are hard rides which isn't a bad thing.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be very happy with your GF after some time in ATX. Life downtown is a million times better than up north (if you like to go out and run, swim, eat, listen to music, picnic, kayak or SUP, walk at all, amongst others). I lived up north when I went to grad school here, hated it, moved to London, and when I moved back, made a firm rule: live downtown or not in ATX at all.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I am planning on it. Racing downtown is a blast (there is something about screaming up and down Congress, blowing through all the intersections that is a visceral pleasure for me). The swim is terrible though and the run is just meh.

PM me if you want to get out for a ride, I am happy to show you some routes.

Jack

Quote Reply