Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG)
Quote | Reply
I just got back from running the Austin marathon this past weekend. This was my second marathon; the first I ran at Phoenix two years ago in a disappointing and painful 4:45.

I arrived in Austin on Saturday afternoon and headed over to the Expo for packet pickup. The traffic into that place was murder, but the pickup went smooth. After a quick sandwich, it was off to drive the course. There are lots of turns on this point to point course and there were about three to four cars I could tell were doing the same thing. It was kind of funny watching us all get turned around. There was nothing too alarming on the course – no major climbs and the downhills were as I had expected – slight grades with only a very few quad busters. After that, it was off to the grocery store to pick up dinner and then to the hotel for check in. I stayed at the SpringHills Suites (a Marriott property) on I35, which is about 7 miles to the race finish line and about 7 miles to the airport; a perfect location (albeit completely lacking in charm). Given the traffic situation at the Expo and a prediction of bad weather, I set the alarm for 3:45am, hoping to arrive at race parking in time to get on one of the first shuttles at 5am.

I didn’t sleep at all Saturday night, so was more than ready to get up when the alarm went off. I hopped into the car and onto I35, where I was immediately confronted with icy conditions, including accidents and police cars/fire engines everywhere. I slowed to 35 mph and made it to race parking without incident. Turns out, there were only a few compulsive souls arriving at that time, so there were no traffic problems and I boarded the third bus out. Note, there were tons of buses, and I never heard any complaints about the shuttle service. The ride took a little longer than expected due to freeway and other road closures. On the way, we saw lots of crashed and overturned cars. Our bus driver, however, got us there safe and sound by about 5:30-5:45am.

Upon arrival, we learned that the race start had been pushed back to 7:30am. The temps were hovering around 28 degrees and it was drizzling, so they were kind enough to let us in one of the Motorola/Freescale office buildings. Unfortunately, with all the runners coming in and out (we still had to pee in the outside porta potties), the building stayed just about as cold as it was outside. Around 7:00, I dropped off my clothing bag and stood in line for the last potty trip.

I lined up at just behind the 4:30 pacer group at 7:25 and by 7:30 or so, we were off. My race plan (developed with my coach, Mike Ricci) was to run in 4 5-mile segments and one 10K at the end. My plan called for me to break down the segments as follows: 52-55, 50, 47, 47, 60. The first 4 miles are a slight, barely perceptible uphill; miles 5-16 are slight downhill with a few small rollers, and miles 16-26 are net downhill, but with more rollers. As it turned out, I ran the following splits: 52, 50, 47, 47, 61, for a final time of 4:18 (official results still have my chip time the same as the clock time; I hope they fix this). The first 5 miles were at an easy pace, and I steadily increased pace through the first 20 miles. (I didn’t wear my HR monitor because I didn’t want to freak out if the numbers were high and also because I didn’t want the strap to annoy me.) That was the most fun 20 miles I’ve ever run. I had great tunes on my MP3 player, plenty of company (including some real Texas hotties), and even some spectators braving the bitter cold and damp. I walked the water stops to make sure I got the nutrition I needed and also because quick walk breaks seem to go a long way towards improving my overall endurance. I alternated the stops with water, powerade, and gels. The gels were sitting kind of hard on my stomach early on, so a couple of the scheduled gel stops, I simply drank more water. I ended up consuming 6 gel packs for the race. I did drop a full glass of water on myself at around mile 17, which provoked guffaws from a few of the spectators.

Miles 20-26.2 were the hardest. Mile 20 included a patch of concrete (most of the race was on asphalt), which battered my tired legs. By that time, the cold had also started to get to me and I felt my muscles really tightening up. I ran to the end, though, inspired by the other racers around me who I knew were struggling just like me. Instead of feeling relief that the end was finally there as I had in Phoenix, the finish line this time was a source of great joy and feeling of accomplishment. I trained hard for this race and ran as smart a race as I was able. Major, major kudos go out to Mike Ricci, who put together the perfect training plan and who got me to the start line uninjured and capable of running well. Thanks also to all the folks on this site whose kind words of encouragement helped keep me going during those times when training or my life in general wasn’t going so well. This marathon was fun, and I know I’ll run even faster next time:)

Last edited by: AmyCO: Feb 20, 06 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 4:45 barrier didn't stand a chance. Sounds like this race built you up instead of tore you down. That's the way to run it. Congratulations.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and the great race report.

I ran and I had many humerous moments, but it was a miserable race. My body is completely beat up and I had a crappy time eventhough my heart rate was about 5-10bpm higher the entire race. Also, I only ran the half. I had a much better time at 3M 3 weeks ago. I live for tris, not running races, so I'm not that disappointed.

Once again, congrats on your race! You did awesome!

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet! i'm so happy for you!!!!!

now, go on that vacation and rest baby!

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The conditions were a little rough. I think being from Colorado helped, but honestly, I was quite cold at the end. I also saw more than one runner slip and fall on icy patches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brrrrr! They have a marathon in Maui you might want to consider ;)

Good job under tough conditions. I hope you get caught up on your sleep now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Really liked how you increased pace through out race. We actually have several marathons throughout the year here in the islands-pick one and enjoy the weather. Thanks for the report and good luck on your next conquest.

Mahalo,

Matt

What if it IS all about the hokey pokey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Amy, it was great to meet you at the expo! You braved a super-tough day in those conditions and did great! Sorry it wasn't up to your expectations. We are our harshest critics. :)

Cam
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [cray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was great meeting you too. I have no complaints about the race; the weather is what it is. Believe me, compared to my last marathon, this was paradise.

One thing I did forget to include in the report happened at the start. We were all trying to make our way through the office park and out onto the main road; literally thousands of runners trying to get up to speed. All of a sudden, to our left, we see a small deer racing around the grounds at top speed. The poor thing was caught behind the wall of runners and couldn't find an escape. Certainly not what she expected for an early Sunday morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report Amy. Congratulations on a great race, and even more so on having a good time, which is what it is all about after all. I am always interested to hear others' experiences. It was indeed frigid out there and I am glad to hear that the temperature seemed cold to a Coloradoan and not just us thin blooded Texans. I also saw several people hit the ground on ice - one so hard I thought he might not get up - and I heard a couple more behind me over the first few miles.

Great job. I hope it keeps you motivated to press on!

Trey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, it was cold indeed. I prefer being too cold to being too hot, but today I feel as if I've been hit by a truck. At least I was numb and couldn't feel it all during the race!

I saw one poor woman hit the deck HARD on the first right-hand turn, while still on the Freescale campus. She cut the corner really tight, and I think tripped on the curb drain and came down her shoulder and/or the side of her face. I don't know if she was able to continue (we alerted a cop about 50 feet ahead, and kept going), but I kept thinking about how much it would suck to train for a marathon or half-marathon, and then injure yourself in the first tenth of a mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One thing I did forget to include in the report happened at the start. We were all trying to make our way through the office park and out onto the main road; literally thousands of runners trying to get up to speed. All of a sudden, to our left, we see a small deer racing around the grounds at top speed. The poor thing was caught behind the wall of runners and couldn't find an escape. Certainly not what she expected for an early Sunday morning.
They had some coverage of it on the news this morning! It was crazy! Not sure who got more of a rude awakening - the runners or the deer. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sounds like you had a great race, unlike those of us stuck in the traffic jam trying to get to the race. It took us over 1 hour to travel the 5 or so miles up Parmer Lane to get to Freescale's Facility where the start was. we saw numerous cars just pull over in order to run to the start. We pulled into the parking lot a bit after 8 and started with a race time 'deficit' of 45 mins. The race offical we talked with afterward said people were still arriving at 9:00.

At mile 1.5 my significant other stepped up onto the sidewalk to remove her trash bag layer out of traffic
and slipped on ice and banged her self up pretty good. She wanted to continue and slugged it out like a trooper. We were both really glad to finish & go home!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job Amy!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, good job Amy. I mean no disrespect, but you were wearing an MP3 player? I think that is "illegal" in most USATF events. Sorry, but the lure of running a marathon, especially after mile 20, is all mental and the MP3 player, well ... Sounded like a great plan otherwise by Mike and good execution in tough conditions.

Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually checked with the race director before the event to make sure it wasn't illegal to run with an MP3 player. He said it was not. I know the whole music debate, but I just run better with than without, and I certainly need all the help I can get:)
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [StevenH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought there must have been some very late arrivals as I was passed by some very fast runners 16 to 17 miles into the race. Sitting in traffic would have stressed me out. I hope your SO is okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I didn't know it got that cold down there. Way to tough it out.

PS: now it's time to get on the bike! ;)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AmyCO,

I am very happy for you. It sounds as though you had perfect preparation to reach your goal. I had a couple of friends who raced down there as well and it sounds as though the weather threw some people for a loop.

Like Hannibal Smith from the A-Team used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Congratulations!

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Great job!

> Miles 20-26.2 were the hardest.

I've never heard that before! ;)

-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! I barely made it from my door to my mailbox yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the RunTex Forum re: the chip vs. gun time problem. The email from the link below (in case it doesn't work because I just copied the text) is info@run-far.com

_____________ Freescale Runners,

As you have seen, a lot of chip times and gun times are the same. We had a very rare human error at the start and we didn't capture everyone's chip time like usual.

I understand everyone's chip time is important and we'll make every effort to correct the problem. If you can identify you start time, email me and let me know your approximate start time. If you started with someone or near someone with a chip time and can identify that person, that will help.

RunFAR is committed to our running community and providing the best service possible. Our technology is at it's highest level ever for the marathon: results were uploaded faster than ever and splits were captured and on the web faster than ever.

We congratulate everyone who battled the cold weather and made it to the finish line. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Raul
Last edited by: Trey: Feb 20, 06 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A short course on the 3M half a few weeks ago and now a timing problem at Freescale? That is very frustrating!
Quote Reply
Re: Austin Marathon Race Report (LONG) [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A short course on the 3M half a few weeks ago and now a timing problem at Freescale? That is very frustrating!
Weird, huh? With Austin being both the running and the tech Mecca in TX it seems odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I couldn't figure out why I had the identical chip/clock time and I'm quite certain that I didn't start with the elites ;-)
Quote Reply