Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool - thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [Andy S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, any safety issues on the bike course are my fault and my fault alone.

Re-read my post, I'm in the first wave. I am not worried about MY safety, its for the those in the last waves who are strong bikers and have to weave their way through almost 3000 athletes. I've ridden the course the last three weekends so I'm familiar with the roads. The beginning is pancake flat with no climbs for separation, then Hwy 1 is one big bottle ejection waiting to happen with all of the ruts more than likely leaving plenty of objects in the road, and then you have a few short curvy downhill sections which can be a problem if you have big groups. Add into the equation that there isn't any shoulder on 80% of the roads, meaning most will just stop on the edge of the road for a flat/mechanical blocking those behind (experienced this last weekend with all of the athletes/group rides on the road).

But you're probably right, I'm sure I'm out of line with my comment on safety and all 3000 athletes are going to be responsible cyclists with years of experience riding around large groups. Thanks for clarifying.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 Bibs and Waves Posted [bmowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 40-44M - this is my second year doing it. I was pretty peeved last year about our late start, but feeling more mellow this year - must be advancing age. We stay at one of the hotels right near the swim start, get up early, drive over near transition, setup and then head back to the hotel for some relaxation. Then a block or two walk down to the swim start about 8:30.

I do about 22 avg on the bike so I was passed by a couple of folks but spent a lot of time passing up the earlier waves. Didn't feel super overly crowded though.

The heat about halfway through the run was a factor though - sure wouldn't mind getting to finish earlier in the day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next