Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties?
Quote | Reply
I have both of these from Alcatraz this year. Not sure when/if I'd use them again, although they were nice. Just curious what other's threshold would be.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your tolerance, or lack thereof, and the swim distance.
For me, 57 or below for the cap.
Have never worn booties, but have never swum in water colder than 57.
What was Alcatraz water temp? How was the race?

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a wimp...so maybe around 62 before the neoprene camp goes on. Raced an ITU event this June at 57 degrees. I had brought booties specifically for the race, but ITU would not allow them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'ver never had a need. I swam at IMCDA '12 when the water was pretty freaky cold and was OK after about 90 seconds, and also at the Triple T one year when the water temp was in the high 50s.

The only time I would have found the neoprene cap and booties helpful was when I tried to swim across Swiftcurrent Lake at Glacier. That was ridiculous, and even then I think that if I something for just my feet I probably would have been OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had never had a need for either cap or booties. I used to lived in SF and swam in the Bay all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim semi-regularly in northern California ocean waters, happy to have a neoprene cap anywhere below the low-60s, and low-50s and high-40s it's really unpleasant not to have it, though doable. Never used booties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same temperature I stop swimming outside :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 2 hour 15 min ocean swim this summer at 58*, no booties or cap, was just fine.

EDIT - changed temp from 63* to 58* after double-checking training log

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 2, 15 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I did a 2 hour 15 min ocean swim this summer at 63*, no booties or cap, was just fine.

63 is pretty balmy for northern California ocean temps...we have folks who stop using wetsuits at those temps. :)
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I did a 2 hour 15 min ocean swim this summer at 63*, no booties or cap, was just fine.
63 is pretty balmy for northern California ocean temps...we have folks who stop using wetsuits at those temps. :)

I don't have a lot of body fat.

I actually would love to be able to do that particular 2:15 swim w/o a wetsuit.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

I don't have a lot of body fat.

I actually would love to be able to do that particular 2:15 swim w/o a wetsuit.

Who you callin' fat? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Booties below roughly 12-13c, only wear neoprene cap in really cold water (below 9-10c) but I wear two regular caps usually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn I'm a pussy, neoprene cap at around 59F. I get a building headache otherwise, its like my forehead is a superconductor of sorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
57-58F and below I'd wear the cap.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be one of those outliers that doesn't help the OP.
I've never worn a wetsuit for swimming other than a few demos.

I'd consider a neoprene cap below 56 F or so; booties probably not to 53 F or so.
Swims up to at least an hour plus have been manageable at those temps to me with just two latex caps; sans wetsuit.
That said, I don't own either of those and wouldn't be wearing a wetsuit either; so those things are kinda superfluous at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say 55 or less.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wearthe neoprene cap below 60, the booties go on at 55 or less.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I might be one of those outliers that doesn't help the OP.
I've never worn a wetsuit for swimming other than a few demos.

I'd consider a neoprene cap below 56 F or so; booties probably not to 53 F or so.
Swims up to at least an hour plus have been manageable at those temps to me with just two latex caps; sans wetsuit.
That said, I don't own either of those and wouldn't be wearing a wetsuit either; so those things are kinda superfluous at that point.

oh man. i'd be dead.

i did a one-mile ocean swim this summer. water was low 70s (F). my teeth were chattering for more than 30 minutes afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water around here rarely gets above low 70's; this summer has been exceptionally warm.
When I've done the Waikiki Roughwater swim; I basically overheat in that 78ºF water.

Trying to swim off Tampa/St Pete was ridiculous - 88+ºF was a sauna.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced a number of times in high 50s. Yeah that's cold but not cold enough for neoprene cap or booties. I never wore them. I'd say mid 50s.
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I wearthe neoprene cap below 60, the booties go on at 55 or less.

X2

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: At what water temp do you use a neoprene cap? Booties? [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 40 minute ocean swim last summer in 57F (14C) water. Dried off and put a t-shirt on then sat on the beach for an hour shivvering in the sun. (I'd walked to the beach.) Was sick for a week.

Not ever doing those temperatures without a wetsuit, and below 60/15 I'd probably now use a cap for my health's sake.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below 60 cap and below 58 booties, except IM Lake Tahoe the water was around 63 but the beach sand was 30.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, Ian Murray suggested two regular swim caps for cold water. I used that at Santa Cruz when the water was 55F and it worked great!

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coldest race was 52 degree water - I tried a neoprene cap the day before and didn't like how it felt. once I got past the 1st couple hundred meters it really wasn't an issue. I have never tried booties (nor needed them). Something that REALLY helps in cold water is ear plugs - I use Mack's (sp?) wax ear plugs. They do water than a cap ever will. Interestingly the only thing that really bothered me at all was cold/numb hands.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply