Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Astana - make that 5
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many strikes does the UCI allow before a team is suspended??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their license was up for renewal but with the already shrinking peloton who knows if the UCI will kick them out of the ProTour.

IMHO, Brian Cookson will be a failure and no better than McQuaid or Verbruggen if he doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling is a joke. Any sport that allows someone with Vino's history to continue making a mockery of the doping rules deserves ridicule.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the likelihood that Nibali didn't dope? 5 team members have been nailed and he had the biggest margin of victory at the tour in 17 years. What do you guys think?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Whats the likelihood that Nibali didn't dope? 5 team members have been nailed and he had the biggest margin of victory at the tour in 17 years. What do you guys think?

The margin is because he was the last top-tier GC contender standing. The rest is speculation. But he wears the kit, and he's a team leader, so he bears responsibility even if he's not a doper.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 26, 14 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Cycling is a joke. Any sport that allows someone with Vino's history to continue making a mockery of the doping rules deserves ridicule.

From my perspective the doping rules are making a mockery of Vino. They're kicking his ass.

I never understand why anti-doping criticism increases whenever it actually works.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most prefer the sgt schultze approach for the sport they care about
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Their license was up for renewal but with the already shrinking peloton who knows if the UCI will kick them out of the ProTour.

IMHO, Brian Cookson will be a failure and no better than McQuaid or Verbruggen if he doesn't.

No chance. It's pretty much a repeat of what happened with Katusha/RusVelo in 2012 and that didn't go the UCI's way at the CAS, I doubt they want a repeat of that.

Euro-blog The Inner Ring had an excellent write up of it after Davidenok's hit, well worth a read:

http://inrng.com/...ce-review-davidenok/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Whats the likelihood that Nibali didn't dope?

Zero.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
From my perspective the doping rules are making a mockery of Vino. They're kicking his ass.

I never understand why anti-doping criticism increases whenever it actually works.

The point isn't that the riders are getting caught (which is great), it's that an unrepentant and proven doper (not to mention cheat who has paid for race wins) was allowed to run a cycling team in the first place and is still there. Also says a lot about the owners of Astana and their values that they hired him and keep him, but we knew that already from their history as a team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vino and the whole Kazak cycling federation are basically saying FU to the UCI and the doping rules. This is nothing different from how Vino himself behaved throughout his whole career. He was involved with the three biggest doping doctors in cycling throughout his career and it's certainly business as usual for him running the team today.

If the UCI is serious about doping they need to impose some sort of sanction on the team. That might be a downgrade to pro-continental, that might be a 1 to 2 race ban, that might be a fine - but to do nothing would only re-inforce the Omerta of pro-cycling. No one can seriously believe that 5 riders linked to the same program all choose to dope independently with no help from team staff or management. It's an impossible argument to make.

The team's sponsors should also take a very hard look at the people they are choosing to give their money and product too. Since most of the sponsors are part of the Kazak government (aka dictatorship) those won't go away - but I'm talking about Specialized, Campagnolo and Cormia. it's a tough decision to walk away from the Tour de France winner - but this lack of taking responsibility and lack of consequences for team ownership has to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is pure bullshit. Everyone stopped doping in 2006. It's a proven fact.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who do we know in the triathlon community that has social network connections with Astana cyclists?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see what you did there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. It's 5 positive tests. Do you think they only doped 5 times? Vino is an unrepentant doper and cheater. He's running one of the biggest, most successful teams in cycling. How is that kicking his ass? Unless he is kicked out of cycling, he is winning. Period.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Cycling is a joke. Any sport that allows someone with Vino's history to continue making a mockery of the doping rules deserves ridicule. "
-------------------------
Baseball, football, NCAA, even soccer have as big or bigger issues - there is just way more money involved and therefore at risk. Very disappointing really.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not disagreeing with you but that's not part of this discussion. Vino running a team is like having Jose Canseco being a manager with ARod as hitting instructor.

Formerly DrD
Last edited by: Broken Leg Guy: Nov 26, 14 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with you either. It's just that cycling, deservedly, gets picked on a lot when the big money sports don't . . . just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Not trying to derail your points.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
I disagree. It's 5 positive tests. Do you think they only doped 5 times? Vino is an unrepentant doper and cheater. He's running one of the biggest, most successful teams in cycling. How is that kicking his ass? Unless he is kicked out of cycling, he is winning. Period.

Well I see the system as having clearly exposed him and his cylists as dopers and cheaters. The process caught him. Like it should have. Now, I admit the ball is clearly in UCI's court. If they take no action other than suspending the riders then I'll agree with you. But I'm waiting to see. This is definitely Cookson's chance to make a statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Astana - make that 5 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
The point isn't that the riders are getting caught (which is great), it's that an unrepentant and proven doper (not to mention cheat who has paid for race wins) was allowed to run a cycling team in the first place and is still there. Also says a lot about the owners of Astana and their values that they hired him and keep him, but we knew that already from their history as a team.

Paying to win races is totally legit.

I agree the ball is in UCI's court. My statement was predicated on my assumption that Cookson hasn't played his hand yet. If my assumption is false, pass me the pitchfork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time will tell. Cycling to this point has not shown it wants to exclude characters like Vino.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of those stories that just makes you laugh in shock. This is the last thing the sport of cycling needed... I don't see how a person can rationalize such actions, if anything the only person they're cheating is themselves.... Steroids though, really? wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:

What I saw during the 2014 Tour reminded me of Basso and the 2006 Giro.
Quote Reply

Prev Next