Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ask me anything about IM Florida
Quote | Reply
Would love to share how my day went if anyone wants to hear about it. Feel free to ask anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan! Great race, especially the bike.

What was your AP/NP power for the bike?

What aero tweaks (suit, helmet, position, etc), if any, do you think may have helped out?

What did you do training/recovery wise between Kona and IMFL?

Thanks!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this.. I believe in a previous thread last year you mentioned you are a high volume guy. Can you give us an idea of what a normal week looks like for you? Curious how you manage your job, training, etc...

Congrats on a great performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this should get sticky'd to the top of the forum for a while
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Would love to hear about your nutrition strategy week before race, day before race, morning of race, and during race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
You already qualified for Kona at Kona 2015, correct? Then why did you race Florida?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, Dan!
Are you going to go pro anytime soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

First of all, congrats to Dan. That is an amazing race doing an ITT all day with no carrot to chase and no one chasing.

I have a few questions:

1. Being totally solo were you going that fast to chase a time, or were you going at certain wattage/pace and just wanted to keep that dialed in, regardless of time?
  2. What nutrition did you use on the bike and run?
  3. What was your training in between Kona and Florida and how did this affect your run legs?
  4. In your peak training, how many hours do you train, and how much sleep do you get?
  5. Do you have kids?

WRT to sticky thread, my 2 cents is that this should be give to professionals when they win an IM race with pros. On this weekend, Starky who has gone sub 8 at Florida was racing Austin and next weekend, last year's IM Florida winner Lionel Sanders is racing in Arizona. I think it would be better if ST reserved race win sticky threads for professional racers. Dan's times are near professional, but as he said in the front page, the actual pros swim and run faster. Age groupers are winning in LP, Louisville, Florida, Maryland, Tahoe etc because there is no pro field.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I love to bike so that is my happy place!
My ap was 288 np was 293. The only thing that I changed from Kona was I went with a 2 peice kit, just more comfortable in it.
The week after I took 2 days off with 12 hours for the week.
The next 2 were back up to 26 then a taper of 21 hours. Nothing was real hard just tried to get back into a rhythm.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem I am anywhere from 20 to 28 hours a week. I get up before work and work out for about 2 hours then go to work from 8:30 to 5. Then back working out from 6 tell 9:30. And do it all over again durning the week. I don't follow a plan, no coach, no structure. Just bike a lot and run about everyday and swim about 2 to 3 times a week. That is why I suck a swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Thanks, I love to bike so that is my happy place!
My ap was 288 np was 293. The only thing that I changed from Kona was I went with a 2 peice kit, just more comfortable in it.
The week after I took 2 days off with 12 hours for the week.
The next 2 were back up to 26 then a taper of 21 hours. Nothing was real hard just tried to get back into a rhythm.

Dan, when you say taper of 21 hours, I assume that was 14-7 days out, not 7-1 day out.....if not the latter would be a 29.5 hour week including racing (or maybe it was)?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

WRT to sticky thread, my 2 cents is that this should be give to professionals when they win an IM race with pros. On this weekend, Starky who has gone sub 8 at Florida was racing Austin and next weekend, last year's IM Florida winner Lionel Sanders is racing in Arizona. I think it would be better if ST reserved race win sticky threads for professional racers. Dan's times are near professional, but as he said in the front page, the actual pros swim and run faster. Age groupers are winning in LP, Louisville, Florida, Maryland, Tahoe etc because there is no pro field.

thanks for your 2 cents. Here's mine:
1) I am a lot more interested in what Dan Stu has to say about daily training racing balancing life etc etc than I am Starky or Sanders (just to site the examples you used).
2) considering some of the recently sticky'd items (ie. ST Movember, and "vote for my buddy the mountain climber in this poll" etc etc) I didn't realize the sticky area was that reserved of a place. I just thought it would be nice to keep it somewhere near the top for a bit, to give an ST ager some love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

1) I am a lot more interested in what Dan Stu has to say about daily training racing balancing life etc etc than I am Starky or Sanders (just to site the examples you used).
2) considering some of the recently sticky'd items (ie. ST Movember, and "vote for my buddy the mountain climber in this poll" etc etc) I didn't realize the sticky area was that reserved of a place. I just thought it would be nice to keep it somewhere near the top for a bit, to give an ST ager some love.

X2

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

Agreed! Hearing what a pro does, while somewhat useful, is so far removed from my regular Joe status, that I'd love to hear more details from someone like this who's doing it with a "normal" job and balancing it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! This is going to flip everyone's lid off. I don't have a super strict diet. Just eat in moderation. The day before the race I will have chicken param with red sauce. I like to eat early so I don't have a full stomach when I go to bed. Lights out was at 8:30, was an earlier start then normal. Race morning I have a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat about 2 hours before the race then a monster 1 hour from start.

On the bike I use gels 3 per hour, Gatorade and water on bike.
On the run I use a gel every 5 miles, Coke and more Gatorade, water, ice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 gels per hour? geez
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yes I qualified for Kona in 2015 so really that race was just for fun, I guess a long training day. I signed up last year. Never did that race and wanted to try it. Everyone said it was a fast course. Wanted to see what time I could put up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I don't think so, my swim is terrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Thanks! This is going to flip everyone's lid off. I don't have a super strict diet. Just eat in moderation. The day before the race I will have chicken param with red sauce. I like to eat early so I don't have a full stomach when I go to bed. Lights out was at 8:30, was an earlier start then normal. Race morning I have a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat about 2 hours before the race then a monster 1 hour from start.

On the bike I use gels 3 per hour, Gatorade and water on bike.
On the run I use a gel every 5 miles, Coke and more Gatorade, water, ice.

Congratulations and thanks for the above. For me it's better reading about a "real person's experience" then the others. My kind of food before and during for this 65yo way over the hill dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you rank the following results this year in terms of accomplishment from your viewpoint and why:

1) your IMFL result
2) your IMWC result
3) your 3rd place AG National result on Sat followed by the overall win at Steelhead on Sunday.

just curious to get your take on three very different "successes"

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

your two cents is better

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No questions, just a huge congrats for another solid performance one month after the other solid performance!
Good to share M40 next year ;-)
Recover well and see you in Kona (if I manage to qualify of course)!
Sam Gyde
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry guys, wrong place for that discussion (falls into the category of value of pros vs value of age groupers). You guys know where my mind is (pros first ), but this thread is about Dan's race.

Dan if you train early morning and late evening, do you find it hard to sleep after late day training, or do you keep the evening workouts light?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any extra sodium along with this ?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next