Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Thomas said.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested how anyone & everyone trains & races. There are lessons to be learned from athletes of all levels. So thank you for "stickying" this thread & Thanks for sharing Dan!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,
Thanks for sharing your training on this thread. I love reading about how other Age groupers manage their training, even if you are several hours ahead of me in an IM! I know you have explained this earlier, but just wanted to confirm a couple of things:

1) You mentioned that your training has no structure. So you just go out each day and just train as you feel? So no intervals, power zones etc? You just make it up on the day?

2) Do you run at a particular pace in training or have different types of run or just go out and run how you feel on the day?

Many Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered going pro? It just seems odd that you wouldn't want to seek out better competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Hi Dan,
Thanks for sharing your training on this thread. I love reading about how other Age groupers manage their training, even if you are several hours ahead of me in an IM! I know you have explained this earlier, but just wanted to confirm a couple of things:

1) You mentioned that your training has no structure. So you just go out each day and just train as you feel? So no intervals, power zones etc? You just make it up on the day?

2) Do you run at a particular pace in training or have different types of run or just go out and run how you feel on the day?

Many Thanks,

Will
i just watch my power and pace. I aways ride and run the same loop so I try to keep my time and pace as fast as I can.
I do have a pace I want to run, but can't always run that pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [KONO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KONO wrote:
Have you considered going pro? It just seems odd that you wouldn't want to seek out better competition.

I like to race in Kona. I would have to travel a lot farther and more often to race pro races. Like I said before I live in Michigan and their are not a lot of pro races close. So as and AG I would rather race in Kona then race as a pro. I can alway compare times if i like too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
KONO wrote:

I like to race in Kona. I would have to travel a lot farther and more often to race pro races. Like I said before I live in Michigan and their are not a lot of pro races close. So as and AG I would rather race in Kona then race as a pro. I can alway compare times if i like too.

on this note, have sponsors approached you and offered for you to have paid travel to races/lodging?

regardless this is the problem with triathlon. the best of the best are really not out there due to financial limitations of the sport. i talk about this especially on AG level. Some people who struggle to do 18 min 5k can win triathlon, yet in a real running race thats good for 20th place
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
KONO wrote:

on this note, have sponsors approached you and offered for you to have paid travel to races/lodging?

regardless this is the problem with triathlon. the best of the best are really not out there due to financial limitations of the sport. i talk about this especially on AG level. Some people who struggle to do 18 min 5k can win triathlon, yet in a real running race thats good for 20th place

the best of the best are out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan.

I saw you on the course. I was the dude struggling. :) haha.

I was really interested to read specifics on your training and how you just do what you can when you can listening to the body. I live in a similar climate to Michigan (Eastern Canada - Newfoundland - cold + shitty wet winters)

I had a tough go in the swim, stellar bike (.702 IF = On target) but due to the heat, I died on the run, had a miserable time. I'm debating changing up my training strategy and I like yours. I don't run long (2.5h ~ 25-30k the max I'd run)

So, my question - Do you just block out those times for training and have a volume target for the week, doing whatever sport works for the mood? Now that racing seems to be done for the year, will you continue the same volume through to the new year, or will you scale it back until after the holidays?

Mad props for your win and thanks for taking the time to engage the commoners! :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan just curious, what was your distance recorded on your watch for the swim? Mine was a little off and wanted to know whether it was the course or was my navigation off. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NavEEd wrote:
Hey Dan.

I saw you on the course. I was the dude struggling. :) haha.

I was really interested to read specifics on your training and how you just do what you can when you can listening to the body. I live in a similar climate to Michigan (Eastern Canada - Newfoundland - cold + shitty wet winters)

I had a tough go in the swim, stellar bike (.702 IF = On target) but due to the heat, I died on the run, had a miserable time. I'm debating changing up my training strategy and I like yours. I don't run long (2.5h ~ 25-30k the max I'd run)

So, my question - Do you just block out those times for training and have a volume target for the week, doing whatever sport works for the mood? Now that racing seems to be done for the year, will you continue the same volume through to the new year, or will you scale it back until after the holidays?

Mad props for your win and thanks for taking the time to engage the commoners! :)

I would say everything works around the bike. When i get tired of riding, then i will go for a run. Then work in a swim.
I do back off in volume. will start back after the new year. just can't do the same volume and intensity inside.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [billyonson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billyonson wrote:
Hey Dan just curious, what was your distance recorded on your watch for the swim? Mine was a little off and wanted to know whether it was the course or was my navigation off. Thanks

I had 2.50 for the swim. i had to zig-zag a little bit to get around people, so that added a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan, bit random of a question - but I'm from the same are in Michigan now - where do you do all your outdoor riding? Any particular routes, etc. you can share for some of those longer rides?

Re: Ask me anything about IM Florida [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Hey Dan, bit random of a question - but I'm from the same are in Michigan now - where do you do all your outdoor riding? Any particular routes, etc. you can share for some of those longer rides?

I just take the bike path to Stoney Creek and just keep doing laps tell i had enough. The roads are not really safe to ride on, with no shoulder and lots of traffic. So it may be boring but it is safe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next