Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yep the Gel-HyperSpeed 6's for racing, with a little bit of Vasoline I can run them sockless for a full Ironman. Given I like to dump a ton of water on myself, and used to Steeplechase this is awesome! I worried when they made a bunch of changes from the HyperSpeed 5, but as soon as I did my first run I was sold. Best shoes I have ever worn! I will do 1 or 2 Ironman race pace training runs off the bike in the Hyperspeeds to make sure everything is dialed.

http://asicscanada.com/...%84%A2-6-g401n-mens/

For most of training run I use the Asics Gel-Fujiracer 3. It's a lightweight trail runner. I start using The Fuji-Racer 2 in 2013 so I could have a little more grip in the snow and love it some much I kept using it once the snow dried up. It is perfect shoe for the Pacific Spirit Park trails near where I live in Vancouver, but works perfect for me on the pavement as well. I really like the last and the 7mm drop. For me it is the perfect amount for my base pace and harder sessions. I find that 7mm drop sets me up really well for switching to the 6mm drop of the HyperSpeed.
http://asicscanada.com/...84%A2-3-t415n-men-s/

I also run in the Asics Gel-Cumulus 16 for recovery session when my legs are feeling beat up. The extra cushioning and 10mm drop feels better for these slower paced sessions. I like the Lite-Show version because my recovery sessions are often at night. I also like that they have some serious swag!
http://asicscanada.com/...E2%84%A2-t4c0n-mens/

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course was a lot better than I thought. I had imagined a super flat course more like Galveston or Clearwater was,but there was enough elevation changes to keep things interesting and provide some positional relief. That Tunnel was really cool! I was a bit on edge about the tunnel as you couldn't ride the course beforehand and they spooked up at the pro meeting by saying guys were going 100k/h. I don't even think that is possible on a TT bike, We'll maybe it is on an Argon 18 ;) But the whole course was super safe. Rode were imaculate.

However, I do like a course with more hills and changing terrain. Hills tend to not only make it a more honest bike, but they also cause guys to smash themselves especially early on. Richter, and McClean Creek on the Challenge Course and the Callahagan Climb on Whistler course are perfect examples.

Pretty much I like the hardest possible conditions. Heat, hills, wind! Bring on the pain suffering and ugliness!! Which is why I am stoked for Kona!

I don't think the 6 hour training ride are neccessary or a good idea. When I did my first Ironman in Los Cabos it was one week before Melbourne. I was training in Penticton at time and with snow only got to ride outside 4 times in January, February,March. The longest indoor session I did was I coached a 3 hour class. I did a couple of 4 hour rides outside. I was a little worried about the lack of big rides, but my coach Kevin assured me that I would be fine and that 3 hours of quality focused riding was better than 5-6 of garbage time. He was right and the quality of my indoors session more than made up the lack of hours. I ended up having a great ride there! Coaching spin sessions and having that group atmosphere was key for that training block. It was definitely a physical grind, but never really a mental one!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Pioneer Powermeter and had on my display the following 3sec avg. Watts (in Big) 60 sec, avg watts, cadence, distance, and current speed.

My plan was to keep the 3 sec avg reading between 280-290. But planned to widen that range to reading between 270-299 if there was an athlete in front of me. If and when the pace dropped below that I moved to the front and settle into that 280-290 range. I knew it was going to be a bit of a long montonous ride and wanted to save that mental energy for later in the day.

But things don't always goes as planned and I ended up doing some big surges out of that range to try and keep Per Bitner in sight between 45-80km. He was stomping it and open up a big gap on Lachie Kerin (Local young Mebournite, great guy) I was pushing WAY harder than I wanted for some long stretch, going up to Olympic Distance pace. Once we caught the main group of guys things really settle down (We'll with the big exception of surges resulting from being yo-yo'd on the back of the group). Don't ever be the last guy in a line of 12 guys coming into Special needs at 40+km/h. Even the amazing volunteers at Melbourne will not have your bag ready and you will have to come to a complete stop and wait for them to find your bag. You will then have to avg 335 watts for 4k to catch back up! (data from Strava file).

It was the first time I had put in big spikes in an Ironman and was worried it would shatter me, but it all worked out. Having said that I may probably would have done better ride a steady pace and catching the group later. But who knows, sometimes you gotta take chances.

I have never liked using heartrate. Not that I think it is bad, it's jsut not for me. I think in part because when I first tried to use it my monitor wasn't very good and the number would jump around like crazy. I also was way out of the reccomended ranges. I was just running and didn't have a coach at time to tell me that the the old 220 minus your age things isn't always true. My heart rate is super low. I guess I have a diesel engine. Because of those two things I just didn't trust the numbers and it's hard to go back now. I also don't like the lag of heart rate training. I have like to have information that focuses me on the moment. Watts do this and perceived effort on the run. Even mile split is to out of the moment for me. I think this is in part because I have ADHD and sometime cool about people ADHD is that although you have hard time focusing once you can gain that focus on something everything seems right in the world and you can focus on that task for hours! Watts and perceived effort do this for me and keep out any result oriented or negative thoghts.

It's also why I am writing long ass answers right now. I am in the zone and not worried about all the other things I need to do,and it feels damn good!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize for my spelling and grammar. I am not checking these posts over. I am just trying to answer everyone questions as quickly and thoroughly as possible even if it makes me sound a bit illiterate.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for good entertaining on Saturday. It was fun following the race.

Since you like hard courses. When will you race Norseman??
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my take on what I have seen and I could be totally off base.

Best part is easily the people and the attitude toward sport! It's amazing. It seems competing in sport is something that is celebrated throughout your entire life as opposed to just when your a youth like back home in North America. Most other sports in North America the attitude seems to be you are either doing it because exercise is healthy or you are young and might one day make it big. Ironman and triathlon is an outlier to this in North America. People (myself included) get into to sport to push themselves to new limits and race! We all want to compete and finish and bust there ass to go fast as possible. Here it seems like everyone is out running intervals or training and competing in some kind of sport. You see this with the huge number of adult pro and semi pro teams and leagues and sports as well. You also see it in the attitude of the swim squads I think in North America most of us really miss out on the benefits of not competing beyond high school. Instead we sit around talking about the glory days and how we could have made the NHL if... This culture impact pro triathlon here as it celebrates and encourages the semi-pro who might not be making money, but our working their asses off to pursue a dream. It grows the number of Semi-Pros and keeps them in the sport. And I am living proof that it is the semi-pro (or b and c all the way down to z list pros) that inspire and cultivate the next generation of Ironman Champions. In my opinion that is why the Aussies or so dominant in Long Course Triathlon!

Worst. No drip coffee!!! If I ever champion a cause in life it will be to bring cheap drip coffee to the masses in Australia! Most likely in the form of good old Canadian Tim Hortons!!

Other Good things

-Blue Collar work ethic and attitude in Bendigo.
-The phrase reckon is much better than the work think. I also am going to start using "Hang shit on you" (make fun of you) and "shocker of a race" (bad race).
-I freaking love trains!!!
-Kangaroos
-Everyone has a nickname here.
-The way words and names get shortened and then have an -O added at the end. i.e. Shorto, Robbo, Vego (Vegetarian), Salvo (Salvation Army)
-TV Commercials in Bendigo are regional and a bit cheesy, much like used car ads back home!
-The attitude of age groupers toward swimming in the white squalls at Challenge Melbourne."Yep,lets we are getting this done"
-How McDonald's is referred to as "Macca's" even in ads.
-The Bendigo Madison

Bad Things
-Colder than I thought
-Kangaroos when on my bike
-Lack of Super Bowl Post game coverage
-Guys are are all sharply dressed and make me feel in adequate.
-Beating on edge and uneasy for the next 30mins after seeing a nasty crash at the Bendigo Madison.
-Really good prize money ($3500) for handicapped 400m running races?? So the fastest guy doesn't get it?? I just don't understand.
-Price of Gatorade and Water at Gas Stations!
-Lack of public Toilets at Gas stations, restaurants, coffee shops...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS: I fixed your signature line. You're a big deal now. You can't be having a hanging [/font] tag in your sig...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's the weekend two weeks out from an Ironman. Kevin has me do a solid long ride with a short run off the bike onSaturday and then a solid Long Run the following day.

It's not how either one goes but combo of the two that matters to be. I like to do that ride solid (at the top of my perscribed zone) but it ability to back up the long ride with a solid run that matters to me. If you can't back it up and feel good (well good for the end of an Ironman build) on both the transition run and the long run the next day then even an awesome bike doesn't mean much.

Quick note: I'll gladly give some specifics of the training that Kevin gives me because the value of a coach and Kevin's biggest strength is his ability to give the right workouts and advice at the right time for the individual athlete. Kevin has been my first and only coach since 2008 and the benefit of that is he has been able to see what has worked for me in the past both from a mental and physical stand point and adapt my plan accordingly. I'll just credit him like I would a photographer (speaking of photographers, that Freaking Delly Carr!!! Awesome!! Whistler's David McColm and my boy Chris Stenberg are the only guys I know that can compare! ADHD moment,get back on track Jeff)

Before coming 2nd with a 2:40 run at Whistler that weekend (2 weeks out) looked like: Workout credit - Kevin Cutjar

Sunday: Challenge Penticton Bike Course in 4:48 ride time, 5:03 (I think total time) + 30 min transition run. Later 20mins easy open water swim.
Monday: easy 30 min bike + 2.5 hour Long Run on KVR rail trail at around 4 min pace

(Last I struggled with injuries, and did some racing as Ironman prep so leading up to that we didn't do to many big long ride or runs, I was a little worried about not having a ton of big sessions in. However my theory is you don't need to back up tons of big workouts just need to do it once on race day)

Before Ironman Melbourne

Saturday: 5 Long Ride with the PreComptri boys in Bendigo. Last hour was solid following the Legend Dave Meade.
Later that day 1 hour recovery run
Sunday 30min warmup ride and and this 2.5 hour descending run. similar to the description below, except went 20 warmup then 30:30:30:30 10 cool down.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...s-birthday-run_92677

I also did a 75 15:15:15 descending run on the Last section of the Ironman Melbourne course. I had a bit of a tailwind and felt grat averaging 3:22k for the last 9k of the course. They had the mile markers already put out so I was able to know where they were and know which one (the only one on the whole course as I check when I pre-rode the run course) was placed in the wrong spot! That gave me a lot of confidence and even more when I hit that section on race day.

On a side note when I do my key long bike session I try and mimick race day as much as possible. Staying in my aerobars, taking as quick of water stops as I can, using my exact pre ace nutrition even peeing on the bike (Gross, Yeah whatever, my motto is Get Ugly!) The only thing that changes in the prescribed effort on the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to storm the Okanagan HM again this year? We enjoyed watching you sprint towards us on the return leg as we slowly plodded along on the outward leg!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your body weight?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Worst. No drip coffee!!! If I ever champion a cause in life it will be to bring cheap drip coffee to the masses in Australia! Most likely in the form of good old Canadian Tim Hortons!!

Jeff,
it's been tried and failed. Starbucks, after opening stores all across Australia, packed their bags and left. May be a few stores left, but only frequented by tourists.

I'll counter with, one of the best things about Kona ... espresso coffee!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you went with the chrome-dome - What happened to the "fresh to death" haircuts like at Austin? I guess it worked as it did at Vegas Worlds, and Austin, well not so much. Just remember to shave the head at Kona this year, and fwiw, it will be a war of attrition no doubt, although you will have some competition in regards to "getting ugly". And let me know about Canada when you figure it out. Congrats again :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Post deleted by triphysio [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: triphysio: Mar 24, 15 23:18
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are links to the Strava files for the 5 Iron-Distance races I have done. The main difference in my riding was I spiked my and dropped my power more at Ironman Melbourne as I wanted to catch up to the pack and stay there. The other 4 rides I think I had someone in front of me for a combined total of maybe 6km's so I just rode a steady pace with maybe a 10-20 watts increase on some of the climbs.

IM Melbourne

https://www.strava.com/activities/273310407

Challenge Penticton 2014

https://www.strava.com/activities/203917568

IM Whistler 2014

https://www.strava.com/activities/191954090

Challenge Penticton 2013

https://www.strava.com/activities/78353425

IM Los Cabos 2013

https://www.strava.com/activities/53029373

I have a target wattage that I try and stick to based on ow training has gone. I am a total hammerhead by nature so I really use it to control effort in the first bit of the bike. I do make adjustment on the fly if I need do, you gotta roll with the punches sometimes.

I didn't actually ride the trainer too much in the lead up. I did some 60-90 minute session leading into Bahrain on December 6th but for the most part I could still ride outside. After Bahrain I took an end of season break with 1 week completely off of training, 2 weeks of one thing easy a day for a maximum on 60mins. Then pretty much a week off/easy with Strep Throat after that. I had two weeks building back into solid training and a week of solid training before I flew to Austrailia. IN that week I think I did a couple 2:15 minute session, but nothing I would consider crazy. There was definitely some good quality threshold sessions on the bike over those three weeks and a few Hard running intervals as well. I wanted to push straight though from Bahrain, but Kevin insisted I take a break. I was amazed at how little I had lost when I race Chalenge Melbourne On February 1st and Ironman 70.3 Geelong the weekend after. All of the bigger Ironman miles were done outdoors in Bendgo.

Last edited by: Symonds: Apr 13, 15 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The E118-Next is awesome! I tested it the E118-Next, The latest Speed Concept and the P5 at the University of Washington Wind Tunnel last year and there were less than a watt difference with a rider on the bike. These the difference between most top of the line bikes is practically nothing when a rider is put on. I wrote a more in depth review on a previous thread, but it's awesome, we just need a mapping function for Terenzo! .

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to E-118 Next review I did on a previous thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nds%20e-118;#5302633

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:

I hope you don't mind me posting this photo of you. It was just after one of the aid stations, you were still with Tim Berkel in =2nd, although he was about 10 metres in front of you here as you had stopped to grab some stuff & he didn't..you were flying, and I knew at this point you were the likely winner. Congratulations on a great race & result. I hope you enjoyed my home town.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Here is a link to E-118 Next review I did on a previous thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nds%20e-118;#5302633

Thanks for that. Less than a watt delta - and its UCI compliant unlike the P5 and SC9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your mum ever puts you up for adoption can I go first please?

I noticed that most of the guys at the pointy end of the race were hanging out in recovery for quite a while, some looking more shattered than others. What do you tend to do for recovery both immediately after a race like that and also in the days/weeks after?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win!

What does an Avril Lavigne Ice Tea taste like?
Is there a little of her in it?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
Thanks for that. Less than a watt delta - and its UCI compliant unlike the P5 and SC9.

Not knowing what aerobars were on the p5 and SC, hard to say if it was uci compliant or not.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a fantastic race and win. I'm really looking forward to following your race in Kona.
Just a couple questions relating to your general training.
1)How much sleep do you usually get per day
2) How often do you get sick and do you train through it or back off?
Thanks,
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, CONGRATULATIONS and best of luck in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Getting Ugly and Winning IM Melbourne [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Congrats on the win!

What does an Avril Lavigne Ice Tea taste like?
Is there a little of her in it?

If there is you get a nickel back.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next