Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated.
Quote | Reply
This "editorial" appeared in the Newark (Ohio) Advocate. OK, it is my local paper, but don't hold it against me! If anyone else (aside from me) feels the need to let the reporter in on a different perspective, you can track him down at http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=CUSTOMERSERVICE03

Back Article published Jul 25, 2005
Lance, though great, not among greatest athletes

Bill Bender

I respect Lance Armstrong.

For someone to win the Tour de France seven straight times after beating three kinds of cancer is remarkable. It really is. I could never disrespect that.

That being said, now you're probably not going to like what I have to say.

Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. Not since "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" has one person received so much attention for riding a bike.

At least that bike could fly.

The fact of the matter is that if Armstrong were not racing, nobody here would care about the Tour de France. Cycling in itself is not that exciting to watch. Can you name five other American cyclists?

I didn't think so. That's why it's peculiar that they try to pass off the event as a team sport. Again, I don't think so. How many dates have George Hincapie and Sheryl Crow been on lately? Did Levi Leipheimer make a cameo on "Dodgeball?" Do the other riders on the so-called team get to wear the yellow jersey?

But people try to slap it on a Wheaties box and throw it on the Discovery Channel, and all of a sudden it's Hands Across America for a bunch of guys in lycra shorts.

I'm not buying it. Cycling is an individual sport aimed at individual achievement. And for his sport, Lance Armstrong is dominant. But he's not dominant in the NFL, NBA or NHL, where the competition is far more cut-throat then it is for one month in the mountains of France.

That's why it's hard for me to put Armstrong with whom I consider the greatest athletes. Tiger Woods plays in a more pressure-packed sport. Wayne Gretzky's career statistics are flat-out disgusting. Jerry Rice is still catching touchdowns, and he's 42. We're not even going to touch Michael Jordan.

I could put Armstrong in the same class with Barry Bonds, given that both are constantly dodging doping allegations. The public perception is still that Bonds is a liar, while Armstrong has been maliciously attacked. I don't think that's fair, and I'm not quite sure Armstrong could hit a ball into McCovey Cove, even if he was on the juice. I'm also not so sure how good a role model Armstrong is, especially if these allegations are true.

Finally, I'm not sure just how grueling the Tour de France really is. I had a close friend do the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure last month, and he spent all of two days preparing for that race.

Yes, the Tour de France is longer, and yes, the avid cyclist could be considered a good athlete. But if an overweight, out-of-shape kid who can't play two games of pick-up basketball can finish the GOBA, it makes you wonder.

After all, the saying doesn't go, "It's just like picking up yourself after getting hit on a blind-sided blitz on third-and-20 by a 300-pound defensive end late in the fourth quarter." That's not quite as easy as riding a bike.

Before you start calling me the spawn of Caligula, I will say that I realize that Armstrong's monopoly on the sport of cycling is impressive. I have no problem with him beating a bunch of French cyclists at their own game. And again, beating cancer is far more important than anything else he has done.

But there have been other great cyclists, such as Miguel Indurain and Greg LeMond, that have made their mark on the sport. With Armstrong gone, will you tune in to the Discovery Channel next year?

I won't. I'll probably be watching "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure."

John F. Martin, Jr.
+1 (614) 403-0567
jfm225@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ohio. say no more.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another myopic unsophisticated jackass sports writer. All these guys can think about is pro ball/team/stick sports, as if the entire world world revolves around the NFL or NBA. Other than Lance, this guy probably couldn't name another rider in this year's Tour.

I've always thought sports writers aren't the high end of journalism. This guy is proof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ummmmm, wow......

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know this writer, but he seems to be yet another in a long line of US sports journalists who don't get out much. They have grown up on a steady diet of American professional Ball sports( Football, baseball and Basketball) and that's all he knows. He has no idea that OUTSIDE the US their is a whole other world of sport and that cycling is right up there in terms of it's profile and respect and that the US ball sports that he covers have very little profile in the rest of the world, with the possible exception of Basketball. Interesting, how the US is SHOCKED whenever another team beats the US National Basketball team. I have also heard that one of the reasons that professionals are not allowed to play baseball in international competition( the Olympics and so on) is to save the US the embarrasment of trying to explain how their multi-million dollar baseball stars could loose to Japan or, horrors, Cuba!!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff notes:

My countires sports are better then the rest of the worlds sport so there.

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a troll article, controversy for the sake of controversy to generate sales, no reason to take this drivel seriously, I can pretty much guarantee the writer is just throwing out stuff he knows is crap to get attention. Not original either, the same article has been written a few times now by different people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Finally, I'm not sure just how grueling the Tour de France really is. I had a close friend do the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure last month, and he spent all of two days preparing for that race.

Yes, the Tour de France is longer, and yes, the avid cyclist could be considered a good athlete. But if an overweight, out-of-shape kid who can't play two games of pick-up basketball can finish the GOBA, it makes you wonder."

Mmmmh. This is an impressive piece of journalistic vista.

But this is a joke, right?

Pardon my French.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [cyclingfrenchie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't know why, but this kind of thing REALLY pisses me off. I know it shouldn't and the guys a fool, but how can you let him print it...I HAD to write him a note. Hopefully I captured your/our thoughts on this fool. I might not be as great a writer as some, but this guys needs a swift kick even if no one reads his column:

Note to Bill Bender re article on Lance Armstrong.

Bill,
Every year it seems that some misinformed dope who calls himself a sports writer plays this "cycling is not a sport" and "Lance isn't such a great athlete" game to get our ire up. Well it works, but I still have to respond to your article about Lance. I appreciate the fact that you throw some facts about cycling in (I'm really impressed you know Lemond and Indurain) but beyond that you prove that you don't know a thing about the sport. Stick to the big 4 and golf, and you'd probably be better off. You completely shoot yourself in the foot, when you compare the Tour to a local charity ride that some fat kid didn't train for. There are just as many cyclists throughout the world as there are football players in the U.S. and only the cream of the crop make the cut of 189 riders who can start the tour. These are the best of the best who have trained just as long and hard as any other top notch athelte in his respective sport. Just because you don't like/understand soccer, cycling, (insert international sport here), doesn't mean the atheletes aren't worthy of more respect than you give lip sevice to.... They then circumnavigate the entire country at speeds you cannot imagine on a bike. I for instance am a pretty decent amateur triathlete, but I can barely hold 66% of the speed these guys hold for 2 hours, let alone about 100 hours in the saddle. You also make assinine comparisons to Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan. Of course Lance couldn't hit a home run, but neither could Gretzky or Woods, just as none of them could hang for the easiest of stages in the Tour. Its a completely apples/orange argument that makes you sound just plain dumb. I could go on, but if you don't realize that you are talking about things you don't have any clue about, then you never will understand. I wouldn't write an article about biochemistry or international monetary policy, similarly you should never again attempt to write about cycling or the myriad of other topics you don't know a thing about. Trust me. If you want to, check out some cycling websites and start doing your homework. Then maybe you can hang.

Thanks for trying,
Steve Zelinger

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [cyclingfrenchie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's obviously just a troll article, like Bayless' yesterday. These writers throw incendiary lobs out there to drum up interest in their "views".

I'm sure this writer knows that the Bike across Ohio comparison is roughly the same as saying that there's an overweight, out of shape guy on my company softball team. Makes you wonder if he can play MLB.

It's crap writing. He knows it, his eds know it, you know it, but it helps sell ad space and papers.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I don't think the writer is serious. However he knows that a large proportion of people reading will think he's serious. He writes the comparison between the Great Ohia Bike Adventure and the Tour de France. I've read other articles by guys that really seem to be ignorant morons, but in this case I think if you read between the lines the author himself even knows he's kidding.

For example, I could write "Michael Jordan isn't special, and it's not hard to be good at basketball. Heck, at the family Christmas Party this year the kids were out the back and my Grandma even bounced the basketball and made a pass. I mean how hard can the sport be ?"

But this would never work for an American newspaper, because all American couch potatos would know that that's bogus, since they know the game of basketball (at the very least through the TV in the living room). But I'm sure there's lots of these same guys reading the article in question here thinking, "yeah, what's with that pansy bike race in France ? My grandma rides a bike, up some big hills too."

The author is writing to get a reaction. And it will work, and he'll be laughing at the fact that half the people reading will agree. Best to ignore it and hope you guys (the US) get another top team and GC contender next year so that they keep showing the Tour on TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone should take this guy on a flat 2-hour club ride then point out, when he regains consciousness, that TdF stages are 1) uphill, 2) three times as long in time, and 3) ridden at twice the speed. Then wake him up the next 20 mornings in a row and say "Want to go again?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it ain't NASCAR or got no ball it ain't no sport.

Now 'scuse me while I gets my mullet trimmed.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could someone explain why the hell the NBA crowns its league championship team, "World Champions"? Are there any NBA teams outside the contiguous 48 states? "World Champions," my ass. Didn't the Olympics prove otherwise?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure this guy is a 300 pound coach potato wothless piece of Sh*t that can even run for three miles.

Not a team sport !?!?!?!?!?!??? Can't name other cyclists????????

Let's try a quiz -- Name the Offensive Live of the Dallas Cowboys Superbowl team when Roger Stauback was Quaterback?? How about the Pittsburg steelers when Terry Bradshaw was Quarterback??

Name Joe Nameth's teammates??

Name Joe Montana's Center.

Who played Center for the Chicago Bulls with Micheal Jordon when they won ??

On all these there are a few people who can name them -- Just like most of us can name Ekimov, Hincappie, Landis, Chechu, etc. etc.

This guy is an absolute idiot -- He should just go to Burger King and have another double whopper.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same reason the WTC calls its Hawaii Ironman the "World Championships" although, at least you have an international field there. And no, the Olympics did not prove otherwise, because it wasn't the NBA Championships.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The NBA championship & the WTC championship are vastly different, in the sense that those participating in the WTC event are from all around the world. The teams in the NBA championship are all from within the contiguous 48 states.

The NBA crowns is championship team, "World Champions". "The World Champion Detroit Pistons" At least in baseball/hockey there are (were?) teams from Canada.

If the US olympic basketball team (professional NBA all-stars) can't win a gold medal, how can the Pistons, Spurs, or whoever be world champions?

Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basketball is defiantely a sport where the U.S. is having to wake up and smell the coffee, hard. For a while they did "own" the sport. However, in the last 10 years it's grown by leaps and bounds internationally and a number of countries can now field teams that can compete with the best team that the U.S. can put on the court even with the top U.S. NBA professionals on the team. We have experienced this in Hockey here in Canada - a sport we one time thought we owned, but international hockey is now very competitive amongst an elite group of countries. Canada goes into World Championships and Olympic games as a solid favourite, but there is a good chance that one of Russia, the Czech Republic, Finland or Swedan may win to.

Baseball is another interesting situation. Yes it's the US "Past-time" and for many years, the U.S. produced the best players. However, that is definately not the case now as many of the best players come from Latin America and even Japan. As I have posted elsewhere in this thread, I have heard that there has been a movement to keep the true baseball professionals out of international competition( indeed baseball has just been dropped by the IOC) to save Americans the embarrasment of being beaten at their "national past-time" by countries such as Japan or horrors, Cuba!!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article made me want to through the computer out of the window. Not so much because the author is a complete ass, but because it will paint a very negative picture in many readers minds regarding the sport. It is idiots like these who undo what Lance, LeMond, and others have done for American cycling.

We all need to bombard this guy with letters to show him that maybe there are people who read his work...maybe that's what he was trying to provoke,but a part of me just think he is a misinformed idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idiot, with a capital I.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Name Joe Montana's Center.
Duh... Randy Cross

Jim Rome had Chris Carmichael on his "national" radio show yesterday and before he interviewed him he actually stood up for cycling as a sport. He said something to the effect that it requires speed, power, endurance, and mental toughness and just because it doesn't include a stick and a ball doesn't mean it's not a sport. With all the smack talk that Rome does, I didn't expect this from him.

This guy is completely ignorant and I wouldn't be too worried about his worthless opinion. His readership just tripled because you posted it on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The NBA championship & the WTC championship are vastly different, in the sense that those participating in the WTC event are from all around the world. The teams in the NBA championship are all from within the contiguous 48 states.

The NBA crowns is championship team, "World Champions". "The World Champion Detroit Pistons" At least in baseball/hockey there are (were?) teams from Canada.

If the US olympic basketball team (professional NBA all-stars) can't win a gold medal, how can the Pistons, Spurs, or whoever be world champions?
Umm, the Toronto Raptors???

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Who played Center for the Chicago Bulls with Micheal Jordon when they won ??

Bill Wennington, Will Perdue, Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley. Ok, I see your point ;-).

We live in a country where people are enamored by the ball sports. That's what we grow up on and what is common. While many can appreciate and respect the accomplishments of endurance atheletes, they are in the minority. Most could care less. Cleary that is the reason many athletes seek success & fame outside of the US and get the backhand here unless it's time for the Olympics. Plain and simple. Track/field, triathlon, and surely cycling.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong's exploits in the Tour de France are overrated. [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, my bad.

Quote Reply

Prev Next