Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are my Carbon Clinchers about to have a structural failure?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I've been riding a set of Corima Aero carbon clichers for 4 years now. I had already bought them used and the years start to show.

From the get-go, there was a little "pulsating" in the front wheel when braking hard. At some point I checked whether it was out of true, but I found that it was rubbing on both sides at a certain spot, which I had never seen before. I ignored it since I don't use them in races anymore and the pulsating wasn't to bad.

Now it is becoming worse and upon closer inspection it seems the cause is, that at the point where the brake is rubbing, the sidewalls seem to be bending outward slightly at the very outside edge on both sides.
So while the cross-section of the rim usually looks like this: |___|
There is one spot where it is starting to look like this: \___/
It is hardly visibly, but I definitely feel it when braking.

I fear that, on longer descends, the additional friction on the protruding part of the brake track will cause even stronger heat accumulation there, which might cause even more softening and potential further deformation and/or failure of the material in that spot...

Is it time to retire the wheels?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Mar 3, 15 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Carbon Clinchers about to have a structural failure? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very interesting and a strange thing to imagine with a carbon rim.

Unfortunately it's rather outside of my area of expertise, but IMO common sense would dictate that if it's getting worse then it's probably time to retire them.
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Carbon Clinchers about to have a structural failure? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
Hi,
I've been riding a set of Corima Aero carbon clichers for 4 years now. I had already bought them used and the years start to show.

From the get-go, there was a little "pulsating" in the front wheel when braking hard. At some point I checked whether it was out of true, but I found that it was rubbing on both sides at a certain spot, which I had never seen before. I ignored it since I don't use them in races anymore and the pulsating wasn't to bad.

No it is becoming worse and upon closer inspection it seems the cause is, that at the point where the brake is rubbing, the sidewalls seem to be bending outward slightly at the very outside edge on both sides.

I fear that, on longer descends, the additional friction on the protruding part of the brake track will cause even stronger heat accumulation there, which might cause even more softening and potential further deformation and/or failure of the material in that spot...

Is it time to retire the wheels?

It sounds to me like your rim is either borked, on on the way to being borked.

I have had a brake track bulge on a front Reynolds Assault carbon clincher. Caused by heat build up/insufficient dissipation - and then the rim bulges. Once the bulge is there it gets worse and worse. I'm v familiar with the pulsing under braking!

I'd get shot of that wheel, personally. I'm usually not especially risk averse, but if the rim goes, it is likely to go when it gets hot - ie braking hard. Blowing your front tyre off the rim when braking hard on a fast descent (for example) is not my idea of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:

I've had a set of Corimas do that (after six years, 15000km a year), and eventually the tyre kept blowing of the rim in that spot (tyre off, tube on the outside.) because the hook couldn't keep the bead on and caused the inner tube to pinch. I eventually got it front and back. I almost never use the back brake, so I don't believe that it was caused by braking.

At first I thought it (tube pinch) was user install error, but eventually I found the hook faulty.

If in doubt, speak to your Corima dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's heat damage. The resins softened under heat generated from hard braking and the tire was able to push the brake track apart from each other. If you would have done something when the pulsating first started then it could have been a warranty. However after 4 years it may be kind of tough, worth a try though.

The newer carbon clinchers should have much better resins design to handle the heat from prolonged braking a lot better.

I would not ride those wheels anymore. The consequences could be really bad.

Quote | Reply
I'm going to echo what others have said but a bit more forcefully. Stop riding the wheels if you care about your safety. The chances of a complete failure under hard braking are not worth it. Not only that, even if they don't fail, because of the uneven braking you're greatly increasing your chances of your front wheel locking up prematurely when you brake and sending you head over heels.
Quote Reply
Re: Are my Carbon Clinchers about to have a structural failure? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK folks, thanks for the opinions, I guess it's time to start looking for new wheels.

It'll be hard to replicate the cool all-black look (on a budget).

I guess it will be something like a set of Flo60s for the road bike. This way I can also use them as high-wind alternative to my 90+Disc combo in the tri-bike.
but I digress...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the rear wheel from a set I bought 10 years ago.

The front wheel literally blew up last year; the hub split down the middle.

Now the rear wheel is making a pulsing sound on the trainer - the trainer is the only place I would consider using this wheel after what happened the front one.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply