Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apples... pears and orchards...
Quote | Reply
"It takes water, and some fertilizer, and you've got to prune the trees every year."

My grandparents were, as a now retired southern senator called 'poor immigrant farmers'. They had a wonderful orchard of about 15 trees with apples and pears. When I was a kid I could eat an entire quart of canned pears in one sitting.

There are two differences I see. The first being altitude, as we have none here in Kansas.

The second is dirt. The tres I remember as a kid were planted in rich dark earthy smelling dirt. You appear (from your photos) to have none. I am amazd that you can grow anything in what looks like rock dust or sand. I have friends that iive out near LA that tell me they make there dirt. Not sure how that goes... pretty sure it involves animal dung. Not my cup of tea... Very glad to hear the trees are doing well thoug. Good luck... I would say with that many trees, someone up there better learn to can, or make preserves...

Mark
Last edited by: M.S.kansan: Jun 9, 03 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Apples... pears and orchards... [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know the dirt doesn't look good, but it's better than it looks. people who know stuff -- the john cobb's of valyermo fruit growing -- actually have fairly high praise for my dirt. we'll see how it goes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Apples... pears and orchards... [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but with that scraggly grass it doesn't look like he'll have to pick up the "falls" before he mows. Do you ever actually have to mow the rocks?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply